FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   bmi | Diamond Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/bmi-diamond-club-486/)
-   -   Will anyone status match? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/bmi-diamond-club/36580-will-anyone-status-match.html)

sjharte Apr 23, 03 3:53 am

Will anyone status match?
 
I'm not sure at all how all of this will work out although it is certain that my travel pattern (usually 3 or 4 long haul cheapies per year) will not get me as much status as it used to - especially if they are very severe in not crediting full miles for cheap tickets (this will make them one of the worst Star alliance schemes surely?).

Anyway, if I were to decide to jump ship - is there anyone out there likely to match my BD gold?

Stephen

Bond Boy Apr 23, 03 11:27 am


<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by sjharte:

Anyway, if I were to decide to jump ship - is there anyone out there likely to match my BD gold?

Stephen
</font>
Aye right! Have you tried Air China, or mybe Iraqi Air?!

Seriously though, I know that bmi would match and they have done for my wife. But I have not noticed anyone else willing to do so, especially within the *A. I did hear about QF being willing to match a little while ago - check out the BA board as I think it was on there. May be even more eager for pax due to prevailing economic climate.

Let us know how you get on as I might like to follow your lead !

Cheers

Gaza Apr 24, 03 9:17 am

BA will not match status and as far as i am aware neither will QF. It is highly unlikely that another *A airline will match bmi status.


On another subject, are either of you two gentlemen planning to foin ajamieson and I at the Edinburgh FT do weekend after next?

Bond Boy Apr 24, 03 11:54 am

Wish I could but can't..... http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/frown.gif

I'm running (if you can call what I do "running") in a 10k race in Balmoral then.

Will try to get to the next one as would like to meet some of the Scotland guys.

Cheers

NickB Apr 24, 03 12:04 pm

It is unlikely that any *A will match. With your travel profile, it is highly unlikely that BA would (and in any event, there would be little point given the meanness of BA on cheapie fares).
US carriers match more easily than European ones. AA is useless for intra-European (BA) discounted economy flights. In Europe, once BA and LH are excluded, KL would be the most obvious candidate (AF don't match).
All in all, CO, DL and KL are your best bets.

hfly Apr 24, 03 5:12 pm

BA do match, silver is relatively simple, Gold very hard. This has been discussed ad nauseum over the years on the BA forum. A direct approach does NOT work however, you have to be a bit more crafty, I have helped about 6 people get matches on BA, even one from FT. Take a look through the archives.

AF does match, it depends what market you are in. In IST I was offered a match straight up awhile ago in France forget about it. I do not know about the UK.

LH gives matches away like candy in certain markets (like the UK), the key is to show them long haul traffic, not just German and Euro flights, they are not interested. In and around Germany forget it. Furthermore Star carriers aren't supposed to poach anyway.

Bond Boy Apr 24, 03 5:24 pm


<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by hfly:
LH gives matches away like candy in certain markets (like the UK), the key is to show them long haul traffic, not just German and Euro flights, they are not interested. In and around Germany forget it. Furthermore Star carriers aren't supposed to poach anyway.</font>
Interesting point as one must remember that the LH prog gives status for two years doesn't it .... ?

Tim2008 Apr 24, 03 7:29 pm


<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by hfly:
BA do match, silver is relatively simple, Gold very hard. This has been discussed ad nauseum over the years on the BA forum. A direct approach does NOT work however, you have to be a bit more crafty, I have helped about 6 people get matches on BA, even one from FT. Take a look through the archives.

AF does match, it depends what market you are in. In IST I was offered a match straight up awhile ago in France forget about it. I do not know about the UK.

LH gives matches away like candy in certain markets (like the UK), the key is to show them long haul traffic, not just German and Euro flights, they are not interested. In and around Germany forget it. Furthermore Star carriers aren't supposed to poach anyway.
</font>
I have never heard of a comp by LH



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 5:19 pm.


This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.