Old Mar 1, 03, 3:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
BD063 EDI-LHR 28th Feb 03 -Chaos

Hi,

A few notes

Check at 1730 for 1840 dep -seq 140ish- no window seats available -earlier flight cancellation
While in the lounge a 50min delay is announced
Walking outside the lounge now get told 80min delay to 2000
Back in the lounge - 100min delay 2015
2015- Announced aircraft arrived
2035 -Boarding
2050 -Push back
Flight time of 1 hour -we do get served sandwiches
15min circling around london
Land 2210
Gate 2215- now the fun really starts- it is gate 84 RoI gates -so we need stairs -it takes 15 mins for the stairs to arrtive-there are two buses waiting for us with bmi crew (apparently doing nothing).We have two passengers with tight connections and a spanish sounding lady who is begining to sound irate-"why are we waiting? This is a bad airlinw etc not too loudly
2230- stairs arrive we board the bus and we drive off
we arrive at a drop off-only to find a lorry (private contractor) blocking the way- driver goes off on his own- a few passengers use the exit button and leave of their own accord- now slighlty irate driver arrives back- no bmi crew in sight-bus does not have radio link.
Eventually let off where we are go up the escalator and both doors are loxcked leading into bag reclaim- swisport man goes to find security. By this time people are still coming off the escalator and queues are beginig to form- the emergency button is pressed on ethe escalator- i felt we were only a few second away from an accident.
Evwentually bim xccabin crew come and open the door-into the RoI bag reclaim!! No guidance but eventually find our way to domestic reclaim where for a change our bags are off.
The 2045 flight from EDI has also beat us!!
I wonder where the two connectees ended up as there would be no way to the connections centre.
While the flight itself was fine, LHR ground service was virtually non existtent and I feel with the escalator we were only a few seconds away from a potential accident.
I will write to Customer Relations when I ger back from MCO next week- anyone know a contact.
Rant off

PS Now at the VS clubhouse LGW waiting for the MCO flight-feeling much better

Apologies for the note format.

Regards
TBS
Old Mar 2, 03, 6:41 am

Programs: SQ LPPS, A3 *G, BA Silver aiming for Bronze
Try this guy, don't expect a personal reply though, he obviously is much too busy to deal with the likes of us who pay the fares that pay his salary ;-)

Mr Ian Bloor
Customer Relations Manager
British Midland Airways Ltd
Donington Hall
Castle Donington
Derby,
DE74 2SB
Old Mar 3, 03, 10:01 am

Programs: EI-GCE, BD-G, BA-G, A3*G, TK*G, FB-G, HH-G, Hyatt-Dia
I saw you guys behind the locked door... I'd just come in from Dublin. Some of the ladies knocking on the glass looked pretty irate/panicked.

I went over to the security desk just at the exit, told them what I'd seen and they said it wasn' their problem.

Had there been a fire...

Nice to have nearly met you Banking Scotsman.
Old Mar 3, 03, 11:02 am

Programs: BA GGL, British Midland Lifetime* Gold, Marriott Lifetime Premier Platinum
This has happened before and it is totally unacceptable.

BD often has to use International or Republic of Ireland stands for domestic arrivals - which is tolerable if the buses and steps are ready and waiting. Problem comes when the stand is not as scheduled or the flight is very late. No-one bothers telling ground services that the wheels and steps are needed and ground services don't bother telling BAA staff on the first floor that dozens of people are about to arrive up that escalator.

It is a disaster waiting to happen and I have already taken the matter up with the BAA station manager at T1 and the BD station manager at LHR. I can give you their addresses if you wish to write to them yourself - much more effective than writing to CR, IMHO, although CCing the letter to Donnington Hall wouldn't hurt.
Old Mar 10, 03, 12:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Hi,

Thanks for the offer ajamieson, but I am just wrting to the customer relations.If I do not receive a satisfactory reply I may escalate the matter.

Regards

TBS
Old Apr 3, 03, 11:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Hi,

Just an update.

Today I got a letter back from customer relations.

Together with the letter, there was a 50 travel voucher redeemable through the bmi reservations office and valid for 1 year.

I conisder this a nice gesture on behalf of bmi. Now to consider where to use my voucher!!

Regards

TBS

[This message has been edited by The _Banking_Scot (edited 04-03-2003).]

[This message has been edited by The _Banking_Scot (edited 04-03-2003).]
Old Apr 3, 03, 9:31 pm
Moderator: Hyatt Gold Passport & Star Alliance

Programs: UA-1K 3MM/AA-Ex Plat/HY- LT Globalist/BA-CCR/GGL/GfL
I got a 25 voucher for almost the same problem - but without the delays. The pain is having in advance to go to LHR to use it!
Old Apr 3, 03, 11:40 pm

Programs: BA Gold (and other non-status plastic)
Gosh, is this voucher response standard policy?! I should complain more often!

The problem of int'l flights arriving at dom gates and vv seems to arise a lot at LHR T1, esp when flights are late - ergo, when pax are flustered and desperate to make tight connections. I'm sure it's as much to do with positioning aircraft at the right gate for the next flight, as it is because of non-availability of stands...

Last year was on a CDG-LHR that missed its takeoff slot while loading LBA pax from a cancelled CDG-LBA. Arrived LHR 1hr late, parked at a dom gate, whereupon ground staff told us to make way for LBA pax for a tight connection to LHR-LBA flight. What about the rest of us with even tighter connections following the 1hr delay??? Those guys all got ushered to the front of the horrendous security line at the Flight Connections Centre, while the rest of us connecting pax had to wait 30mins to clear security... Almost missed my MAN connection (ie, it was lucky that it was delayed due to a technical). Surely that stress was worth 25?!
Old Apr 4, 03, 3:31 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by kt74:
Gosh, is this voucher response standard policy?! I should complain more often!

</font>
I have moaned at bmi twice in two years and they gave me 200 bmi points on each occasion. Very nice of them - both very legit complaints I hasten to add !
Old Apr 9, 03, 9:26 am

Programs: Lifetime Platinum
What about the other way ? I've sent them two, very nice bouquets for outstanding service...wouldn't you think that would be worth a couple of hundred points or so ?

Search this Thread
Search Engine: