RTW *A or OneWorld?

Old Jan 23, 03, 4:56 am
Original Poster

RTW *A or OneWorld?

I am planning a RTW tour for April this year. Does anyone have any hints about where *A or Oneworld is better, as far as I know, the prices are about the same.

Cheers,

Gordon
Old Jan 23, 03, 7:14 am

Programs: BA Gold; SQ PPS; UA Gold; LH FTL; Flying Blue Silver; Starwood Gold; ICHG AMB; Hyatt Platinum;
The prices are generally similar, though are calculated differently. The OW ticket changes price depending on how many continents you visit, whereas Star Alliance adds up the number of miles you cover (inluding any overland sectors) and price it accordingly.

Much depends on the places you would like to visit (each alliance is strongest in countries where it has home airlines, so Star cannot offer you much in the way of Australian domestic flights, while Star is arguably stronger in Asia, with 3 (soon to be 4) member airlines), and through Air NZ has better coverage of the South Pacific.

Also, the standard RTW tickets can sometimes be beaten on price by other RTW deals run by groups of airlines, or put together on an ad hoc basis by travel agents. They are usually much less flexible than the Star and OW tickets though, which are basically fully flexible and even let you change the route for a small fee. The ad hoc tickets can sometimes be excluded from accruing miles on certain airlines.

It may be worth calling or going to one of the UK travel agents used to planning RTW trips, such as Trailfinders, STA Travel (not just for students though not advisable for business or first class travel), Austravel, Travelbag etc. Trailfinders have always been happy for me to waste an hour or more of their time trying out different combinations. You basically tell them your route and they can advise on the most suitable ticket. If you want to stick with the Star or OW tickets they will go along with this request too.

If you want to plan a bit more on your own, the Star Alliance ticket office on Conduit Street (just off Regent Street) in central London usually have leaflets explaining the RTW fares, including all the small print. It may be worth calling them to ask them to send you one as the airlines themselves tend not to have them for some reason! The Star and Oneworld fora are also useful places to ask questions about restrictions on routes etc, as well as search for answers given in the past.

Old Jan 27, 03, 6:15 pm

Programs: Lowest of the low in all airline programs but I am in the EZY FF Program!
I did *A 2 years ago and I currently doing a OWE. The best one for you will depend on where you want to go. If Ausstralia figures in your plans there is only one choice - OW. Depending on routings a OWE can give good mileage earning opportunities. My 4 Continent ticket is giving me about 39,000 base points.
Old Jan 28, 03, 7:34 am
Original Poster

Cool, thanks for the reply. Are you collecting the points in BAEC or something else. It seems the tickets are booked in M class which does not earn status miles.
Old Jan 28, 03, 7:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If you're making more than one stop in Canada, then flying OW will be a bit difficult unless if you're willing to go, say, YVR - YYZ via ORD on AA...
Old Jan 28, 03, 7:45 am

bmiflyer, in anticipation of where this might lead you, the best OW FFP for casual UK based flyers on discount (or other non-BAEC status fares) is Qantas. I think there are some threads in the OW forum explaining why if you do a search (it was a question I asked a few months back!).

Search this Thread
Search Engine: