What time to arrive at Heathrrow?

Old Dec 19, 02, 9:07 pm
Original Poster

What time to arrive at Heathrrow?

What time will we need to arrive at Heathrow for the following flight?

Route: London - Heathrow -> Edinburgh
Flight: BD056
Departing at: 12:50
Arriving at: 14:10

And what's the best way to get there from Hilton London Metropole?
Old Dec 20, 02, 3:44 am

Hi,

The flight leaves from Terminal 1 which I would aim to get to about 90 minutes before the flight leaves. Security lines are generally slight for domestic departures at that time of day.

Terminal 1 Domestic is not the place you'd want to spend too long hanging around unless you want to use the lounges. The shops are minimal, in fact, after security I think you can count the number of shops on one finger.

The Hilton Metropole is directly opposite Edgware Road tube station, you can reach Heathrow Terminals 1,2,3 station changing once onto the Picadilly line. It would cost 3.60 and take about an hour. Trains are frequent, you'd not normally wait more than five minutes for both.

Alternatively, Paddington station is about a 5 minute taxi ride away and, from there, you can take the Heathrow Express to Heathrow Central. This would take about 15 minutes and leave every 15 minutes. I guess the fare is about 14 at present.

Coach services are not really advised and a taxi would probably take about an hour, cost about 40 - varying wildly depending on traffic.

Hope this helps.

[This message has been edited by steadman (edited 12-20-2002).]
Old Dec 20, 02, 9:36 am

Programs: BA Gold; SQ PPS; UA Gold; LH FTL; Flying Blue Silver; Starwood Gold; ICHG AMB; Hyatt Platinum;
If you take the Heathrow Express, you can check in at Paddington Station (no queues!), using the desks opposite tracks 4 and 5 (just follow the "Airline check in" signs) You can even check your bags here (they load them into baggage containers and take them to Heathrow by train). This is a MAJOR time saver compared to the check in at the airport itself - BMI's check in can be chaotic, especically the coach class lines. The only drawback is that the Heathrow Express costs GBP13 one way(!!).

Check in deadline at Paddington is 2 hours before if you're checking bags, 1 hour otherwise (but I would aim at being at Paddington at least 90 minutes before departure!). Check in deadline at the airport itself is 45 minutes with checked bags.

Security queue once you get to Terminal 1 will take around 10 minutes ususally.

[This message has been edited by House (edited 12-20-2002).]
Old Dec 20, 02, 9:50 am

Programs: AA PLT, SPG Gold, Hyatt Platinum, HHonors, Marriott Silver
We flew BMI from LHR - DUB last month, and although the lines seemed rather long at the BMI counters, they moved rather quickly - 20 minutes or so. No wait to get through security, 10 minute walk to the gate.
Depending on how many in your party, it may be cheaper to hire a car...30 pounds or so vs. the 13 each for Heathrow Express. Avoid the taxis though...big $$.
Old Dec 20, 02, 10:49 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by ExpoTrac:
it may be cheaper to hire a car</font>
If you mean a minicab / private hire car, this is a good idea as you will get a fixed-fare ride to LHR (probably about 25).

If you mean hire a car in the Hertz sense, this is a dreadful idea! Not only will you have to negotiate London traffic, but (depending on which car hire you use) it can take ages at LHR.
Old Dec 20, 02, 8:40 pm
Original Poster

There will be nine of us -- six adults and three children. What are your recommendations from getting to Heathrow from Metropole with nine people?

Thanks so much for your responses.
Old Dec 21, 02, 9:07 am

I'd probably find a private hire company that either did large people carriers or small minibuses (often used a lot at night to ferry office parties around). I'm not sure who to contact, although the concierge should be able to find someone for you. It'll probably cost you 40 - 50 (I'd have thought) so still a saving on the HEX for 9 of you. Alternatively, if you're not taking much luggage and money isn't a big issues, it'll be quicker and more convenient on the HEX.
Old Dec 22, 02, 6:31 pm

Programs: BA Gold; SQ PPS; UA Gold; LH FTL; Flying Blue Silver; Starwood Gold; ICHG AMB; Hyatt Platinum;
Though I think there may be a reduced fare for children, if there are 9 of you I would definitely consider booking a people carrier - ask the concierge or receptionist to book you a private hire people carrier / minibus for 9 people, at least 24 hours before. Tell them the amount of luggage you have so they can book appropriately. Aim to arrive at Heathrow (Terminal 1) 90 minutes before departure, and let the hire company determine the pick up time (though if they're allowing less than 45 minutes I would seriously question them about this!).

The cost will be half (perhaps less) and you will know how much the trip will cost in advance (no tip will be expected as service is included in the fare, though you are free to round the fare up if the service is particularly good).
Old Dec 22, 02, 11:38 pm
DCAview

As long as we're on the topic, how far in advance should we arrive at LHR for the 8:10 departure for CDG on Friday, 27 December and at CDG for the 12:10 return to LHR the next day?

Coming from the Earl's Court area, is the subway the best way to get to Heathrow? Thanks for the help.

Old Dec 23, 02, 7:13 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by DCAview:
As long as we're on the topic, how far in advance should we arrive at LHR for the 8:10 departure for CDG?</font>
Depends on many things - whether you have checked luggage, class of service and FFP status (ie how long the queue will be!). With luggage, in Y with no status you probably should be there 90 minutes or so as T1 can get quite busy at that time of the morning. In C with status and no luggage, 30 minutes is usually fine. Can't help you on the way back I'm afraid, as I haven't flown out of CDG for about 7 years!

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by DCAview:

Coming from the Earl's Court area, is the subway the best way to get to Heathrow? Thanks for the help.
</font>
Yes, absolutely. Piccadilly line all the way there - no changes. Will take about 45 - 50 minutes.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: