Gate/Lounge check in at LHR T1

Old Dec 9, 02, 9:58 am
Original Poster

Programs: LH Senator, BD Gold
Gate/Lounge check in at LHR T1

Does anyone know what the official line is regarding gate/lounge check-in at LHR?

I travelled last week LHR-AMS on BD in economy. I did a phone check-in from home before heading to the airport. Upon arrival at LHR T1, I proceeded straight to the lounge to have my boarding pass issued. At the security check, I just showed my ticket and was allowed through. All was fine...

I did the exactly the same flight last night (BD, LHR-AMS, econ), same phone check in etc. Except I wasn't allowed through with just a ticket - I was told by airport security that I needed a boarding pass.

The security guy added that if I was travelling in C, he'd have let me through, but because I was travelling in econ, he wouldn't/couldn't. I told him that I had done so just a week prior, but that comment just fell on deaf ears...

Full marks to BD as they issued me with a boarding pass at their Silver/Gold desk immediately (I'm only a blue), but said that it seemed to depend on the security individual.

Does anyone know what the official line is on this - in terms of whether a boarding pass is required or not to proceed through security to airside?

Old Dec 9, 02, 10:01 am
Original Poster

Programs: LH Senator, BD Gold
I should also add that BMI are absolutely fine with gate/lounge check-in for econ DC members.

The question really is what is the officall BAA Security line on this...

Thanks
Old Dec 9, 02, 12:52 pm

Programs: BA GGL, British Midland Lifetime* Gold, Marriott Lifetime Premier Platinum
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">posted by yams888: ...airport security...</font>
As usual, these people are wrong. The problem, as you discovered, is that it doesn't matter who is right or wrong - security staff are still blocking your way. It sometimes happens at EDI, which is also run by BAA.

I usually give up and get a boarding pass from check-in and then raise the matter politely with a security supervisor afterwards. But it is annoying in the first place.
Old Dec 10, 02, 12:26 pm

I think (but haven't checked) that the official line is only *Golds can do economy-class lounge checkin.

I was once sent back by Security at MAN. The kind BD checkin ladies had a word with Security-newbie, and he then apologetically let me through.

I've also had them get uppity at my open (Routepass) tickets that don't say "OPEN" on them.
Old Dec 11, 02, 5:26 am

Programs: BA GGL, British Midland Lifetime* Gold, Marriott Lifetime Premier Platinum
Only Gold can do economy class lounge check-in (logically, since only Golds and Silvers can get into the lounge on economy in the first place) but anyone with only handbaggage can use gate check-in. In theory.

[This message has been edited by ajamieson (edited 12-11-2002).]

Search this Thread
Search Engine: