UA Prem *S vs. BD Gold *G?

Old Nov 1, 02, 7:59 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold (and other non-status plastic)
UA Prem *S vs. BD Gold *G?

Travel UA C or Y from UK to US 3-4x year, plus a few random BD/BA UK/Euro.

UA Prem perks are great - 25% bonus, Econ Plus, occasional upgrade even on V/Q fare.

But could get BD Gold for the same miles. Is it worth switching completely? Not for the rewards obviously (not so generous) - but for *G perks/lounge etc.

Would I lose UA perks/status?

Or has anyone ever got BD comped? (or at least Silver for lounge access?)
Old Nov 1, 02, 10:40 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by kt74:
[b]But could get BD Gold for the same miles. Is it worth switching completely? </font>
Welcome to FT, kt74

Are you 1P or 2P? I'm guessing 2P.

If you're 1P then you should stay put. However if you're 2P it's a little more complicated.

The *G for £600 (ie 3 UK/UA discount Y fares) is, IMHO, the best thing about Diamond Club. If most of your travel is in Y, and there's a reasonable amount of it, then lounges / priority queues / E+ and all the rest of it help make it bearable.

The problem is rewards. Having earned my bmi Gold for next year already, I'm going to try to make 1P next year and move across. The reason is upgrades (on transatlantic UA flights). Can't get them with bmi points. In fact, can't even book UA premium cabins as award flights (although you can on all other star carriers). Indeed, you can't even book bmi's "The Business" transatlantic class as award.

So if you use your awards for the occasional vacation flight, booked quite a long way out, and are creative about how you do it (bmi has no *A award chart so some things can be quite "expensive") then bmi gold would be good for you.

If upgrades for miles are important to you stay where you are.

If you're not that bothered about the awards end of it, and just want the *G benefits, go for it.

Would you lose UA perks/status? Well after one transatlantic and a bit you'd be *Silver, and I always got into E+ as *Silver, for eg. And assuming that you've already requalified in MP for next year, just always enter your MP number at reservation and then change it to your bmi number at the gate.

I'm not sure about their policy of comping between *A carriers. I'd guess they don't encourage it, but that doesn't mean they don't do it.

The important thing is as soon as you reach bmi gold put the remainder of your miles for that year into MP!

[This message has been edited by Wingnut (edited 11-01-2002).]
Old Nov 1, 02, 12:14 pm

Programs: Lowest of the low in all airline programs but I am in the EZY FF Program!
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by kt74:
Or has anyone ever got BD comped? (or at least Silver for lounge access?)</font>
BD comped me Silver on proof of my BA Silver status. I'm not sure if they will comp from another *A carrier. The comp to Silver came right before a *A RTW in Business so I earned Gold without having to go through Silver.

Old Nov 1, 02, 5:56 pm

Programs: BA GGL, British Midland Lifetime* Gold, Marriott Lifetime Premier Platinum
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">The important thing is as soon as you reach bmi gold put the remainder of your miles for that year into MP </font>
Exactly my tactic.

One thing to bear in mind. Although *A Gold is meant to offer seamless benefits, in practice both airlines treat their own Golds better depending on which card is in the PNR. If I'm travelling MAN-ORD/IAD I have been treated like royalty by BD, the only exception being when I had my MP number in the PNR. United doesn't treat anyone like royalty, but the worst journeys have all been when I'm earning on the BD card.
Old Nov 1, 02, 6:47 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by ajamieson:
United doesn't treat anyone like royalty.</font>
Maybe that's because as a democracy (or at least a republic these days), America is not that familiar with the concept of royalty.

[This message has been edited by HajoFlyer (edited 11-01-2002).]
Old Nov 4, 02, 5:06 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold (and other non-status plastic)
Thanks for your help, guys.

Although I won't get to 1P (or AC SE *G), on balance the hassle-free perks seem worth sticking with UA 2P, as I mostly fly with them either full C/Y (+NC) or discount V/Q (=E+). No point losing all that for occasional lounge access and crappy Diamond rewards (I read somewhere on FT that 2Ps get into LHR RCC anyway: Is this for real?! Why didn't I know this?!).

However, once I've got 2P, I might put everything else into my trusty old BD Blue. Am I right to think return UA V transatlantic + 4 US segments = BD Silver = Diamond lounges when paying GBP19 return to AMS?! I suddenly feel the urge to fly LHR-ORD via EWR and IAD next time.

Thanks again,
kt74

PS Wow... what a cool (if potentially addictive) message board FT is... Wingnut's 186 posts since Apr makes, um, 1 per day? Is that typical?!
Old Nov 4, 02, 8:10 pm

Programs: BA GGL, British Midland Lifetime* Gold, Marriott Lifetime Premier Platinum
kt74 it's our pleasure.

HajoFlyer if the dreadful wreck that is United Airlines represents the beacon of liberal democracy, then bring me autocracy
Old Nov 5, 02, 3:17 am

Am I right to think return UA V transatlantic + 4 US segments = BD Silver = Diamond lounges when paying GBP19 return to AMS?! </font>
Yes.
Old Nov 5, 02, 7:33 am

PS Wow... what a cool (if potentially addictive) message board FT is... Wingnut's 186 posts since Apr makes, um, 1 per day? Is that typical?!</font>
And I thought I rationed myself quite well! Particularly compared with Doc who by my reckoning has an average of 30 per day!
Old Nov 5, 02, 11:34 am

Programs: AF F+ Rouge / Flying Ash®
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by ajamieson:
United doesn't treat anyone like royalty, but the worst journeys have all been when I'm earning on the BD card.</font>

Old Nov 5, 02, 11:47 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Doc ... by my reckoning has an average of 30 per day[/B]</font>
That's amazing news; we should issue a press release.

Search this Thread