Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > bmi | Diamond Club
Reload this Page >

UA lounge guest access for BMI gold?

Old Oct 28, 2002, 9:42 am
Original Poster

Programs: BD DC, KL FB, HH

Curious to know whether my BMI gold card will allow me to get a guest into United lounges in the US - could be a critical factor in deciding who flys me on my next US holiday!

Thanks in advance
Old Oct 28, 2002, 11:23 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by grayst:

Curious to know whether my BMI gold card will allow me to get a guest into United lounges in the US
</font>
Sure will. I've just trotted round a few US RCC clubs, and my (no status) guest was in with me fine to all. They generally have no interest in your ticket, they just want to see your card!

Remember that if you're flying internationally (ie on your way back to the UK) let them know at the concierge and chances are you'll get a few drinks coupons (normally 2 each I think).

Edited to add: welcome to FT grayst

[This message has been edited by Wingnut (edited 10-28-2002).]
Old Oct 29, 2002, 2:19 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by grayst:

Curious to know whether my BMI gold card will allow me to get a guest into United lounges in the US - could be a critical factor in deciding who flys me on my next US holiday!

Thanks in advance
</font>
You know, I just misread that as "who flys with me"
Old Oct 29, 2002, 3:00 pm

Old Oct 30, 2002, 1:16 pm
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Wingnut:
UK) let them know at the concierge and chances are you'll get a few drinks coupons (normally 2 each I think).</font>
"Drinks coupons"???

What is this, some sort of Temperance Airways?

How did these guys ever get into an alliance with SAS, if that's their attitude towards the old complimentary libation?
Old Oct 30, 2002, 1:32 pm

How did these guys ever get into an alliance with SAS, if that's their attitude towards the old complimentary libation?</font>
Unfortunately, while our American friends enjoy many things from their airlines of which us humble Europeans (especially those with tinpot FFP programme's such as Diamond Club) can only dream of (upgrades for miles, flying standby FOC until recently etc etc etc) the one area where we are streets ahead of them is booze (and lounges for that matter).

Elite flyers with US airlines don't always get lounge access - that's paid for separately (although I think they get discount). And then when you're in the lounge, you pay for the booze. Note that their lounges abroad (eg RCC at LHR) tend to adopt the local way of doing things.

This also goes for the flight. If you're flying domestically in Y on UA (inc transcon) you pay for your booze. $5 cocktails or $4 wine / beer. And of course they prefer you to have the right change.

But if you're flying international, and they feel a need to compete with other international carriers who have a slightly more, shall we say "European" approach to alcohol, they give you a couple of tokens at the lounge to exchange for drinks!
Old Oct 31, 2002, 2:36 am
Original Poster

See what you mean - when I think about it I've never used domestic lounges in the US. Have happily glugged away on a complimentary basis in KLM and BA lounges over there, and a couple of NW and CO (Houston and Seattle) but they were all in international terminals. Hence free drinkies.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.