bmi domestic and international service

Old Sep 6, 02, 7:25 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Plat
bmi domestic and international service

how are they are they competitive then BA or other carriers? also how are their ORD/IAD-MAN service is it better than AA's ORD-MAN service?
Thanks for any reply.

------------------
U A L 7 4 4 7 7 7 S T A
Old Sep 7, 02, 2:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM. DL Plat, AS MVP
BD's international C service is by far the best I have experienced (runners up are SQ,VS,UA, and US).
Old Sep 8, 02, 2:01 am

I think BD C service is way behind BA and VS.
Old Sep 8, 02, 5:27 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by CTEASDEL:
I think BD C service is way behind BA and VS.</font>
Explain please...
Old Sep 8, 02, 1:26 pm

Seat pitch and recline is the main reason with BA, routes covered is also a HUGE plus. With VS the routes are obviously much better and the 2000 seats are far better.
Old Sep 9, 02, 2:01 am

Programs: AA EXP with lots of BA and CX. (Disgruntled UA Lifetime Plat) - No hotel loyalty anymore
BD's C IAD/ORD - MAN services are MUCH MUCH MUCH better than AA (even better in my opinon over AA Flagship First Class product).

Sure BD's Intra-Europe and UK domestic service in C is not so great, but I can't honestly say that any Intra-Europe or Domestic UK carrier is that good in C anyway.

You will enjoy flying BD on their transatlantic service in the New Business cabin.

[This message has been edited by NickP 1K (edited 09-09-2002).]
Old Sep 9, 02, 2:59 am

Programs: BA Gold; SQ PPS; UA Gold; LH FTL; Flying Blue Silver; Starwood Gold; ICHG AMB; Hyatt Platinum;
This isn't about who has the best route network. From what I can see, you are wanting to get from ORD-MAN.

In that case there are, as you know, only 2 airlines operating that route direct, BD and AA. BD use a 12 month old Airbus 330, and AA use a rather older Boeing 767. Virgin and BA don't fly this route and will require a change at LHR - this is not a nice place to change flights at and IMHO this isn't worth the hassle when there are direct flights.

I would place BD's business product way above AA's on that route (and in general, though I still find AA's product OK). I agree with the comparison between AA First Class and BD Business Class. I have flown BD from IAD-MAN and not ORD-MAN but understand the product is identical.

The seats are not flat-folding beds (neither are AA's) but the pitch is decent. There are no middle seats. You have an on-board chef who will prepare within reason, whatever you ask for in an on-board kitchen.

When you arrive in MAN, as a business passenger you have access to a complimentary day room at the Radisson SAS hotel adjoining the terminal - a very nice, new 5* facility *(just ask about this when you are at ORD). AA have no arrivals facility at MAN (and neither do BA).

The seat has a PTV built in, with noise cancelling headsets, a reasonable movie selection and the ability to take in the view from cameras mounted in the nose and belly of the aircraft.

This is very much a secondary international route for AA, whereas BD treat it as a flagship (precisely because their network is so small, they seem to work very hard on the standard of their long haul service).

If you are connecting at MAN, it is much less hassle (and much less crowded) than LHR - everything is within the one terminal building. BD will be able to get you to most destinations in Scotland and to London by themselves. Their Star Alliance links with LH, OS and SK will get you connections to Germany (FRA/HAM/DUS/MUC/STR), Vienna, Copenhagen and Stockholm. BA also have a decent short haul route network from MAN. In the US, BD codeshare with UA to and from around 50 destinations.

Lastly, the staff are really friendly and helpful in my experience. You actually get the impression that they really want your business!

Unless you need the oneworld miles, I would go for BD (they also seem to be cheaper, at least from the UK).
Old Sep 10, 02, 5:18 am

Programs: AA EXP with lots of BA and CX. (Disgruntled UA Lifetime Plat) - No hotel loyalty anymore
The only negative on BD transatlantic is that BD is dependent on UA in Terminal 5 for check in. And UA's T5 people can be morons

You will get to use the SK/SAS lounge in T5 which is alot better than any of the RCC's at the UA terminals.
Old Sep 10, 02, 1:40 pm

Programs: BA GGL, British Midland Lifetime* Gold, Marriott Lifetime Premier Platinum
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">The only negative on BD transatlantic is that BD is dependent on UA in Terminal 5 for check in. And UA's T5 people can be morons.</font>
Agreed, although a few UA staff at ORD are dedicated to the BD services, so at least they understand something of the different service culture.

Next time you're there, ask to speak to the supervisor, Julia, if you have any problems. She'll look after you.
Old Sep 10, 02, 1:42 pm

I definitely highly recommend BD on its MAN-IAD/ORD flights. The J class is lovely. The seats are not the lie flat ones, but with reasonable comfort. The washbag was very nice and the F/As are friendly and professional.

You will love it!

Carfield
Old Sep 11, 02, 1:22 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the insight!
Old Sep 11, 02, 1:23 am
Original Poster

but how about domestic service wise...
Old Sep 11, 02, 3:48 am

Domestic BMI product is not good, it's OK in C, but not good in Y.

BA is slightly better, but not by much.

In general don't expect too much from ANY Intra-Europe flights. The fleshing out of services and perks post Sept 11th on US domestic flights has already swept through services here.
Old Sep 11, 02, 3:50 am

Ajamieson; thanks

Last time I flew ORD-MAN, in March the BD check in area was a mess. No "New Business" seperate check in area. The UA employees seemed really clueless.

I actually got more help on some seat change questions from the SK lounge.
Old Sep 11, 02, 7:02 pm
Original Poster

Thank you for the info. Also could i get miles for bmi Baby flights on UA Mileage Plus?

Search this Thread