Changing Miles programs

Old Jul 21, 02, 10:02 am
Original Poster

Programs: M&M, BA EC, Delta, Hilton, Accor, IHG
Changing Miles programs

Hi,
I currently hold Silver (Frequent Traveller) Status with Luthansa, have not however been overly impressed with their standards of service,even when dealing with loyal customers.However,I feel tied to LH by the status and my location.Does anyone have experience of whether other Star Alliance carriers are likely to equal my LH status if I transfer to them, without having to regain the status on these airlines,particularly British Midland.What would be the best way to go about this if so? The same questions apply to Untied and British Airways,as they are the easiest airline to travel with from my current location other than LH.
Any help or advice would be much appreciated. Many Thanks
Old Jul 21, 02, 3:43 pm

Hi britflyer

I'm no expert on this (and am prepared to be corrected!) but seeing as no-one else has answered you yet, my understanding is that *A carriers are unlikely to match *A status as part of the whole working together thing includes not pinching each other's frequent flyers! UA are *A too, so the same would probably apply.

BA, being One World, would be likely to match your status. However, I very much doubt your customer service experience would improve...
Old Jul 22, 02, 11:27 am

I wonder whether BD would be willing to give you silver immediately if you could subtly hint that BA would be happy to help instead?
Give them a ring and see what they say.

That said, getting BD silver isn't difficult anyway. What is your typical travel profile? If you frequently travel on the same BD route, it may be worth getting a "Individual Routepass" (book of 5 return tickets, valid for 4 months). This saves 15-20% over the full flexible fare, and gives you instant silver status.

So what have M&M done to upset you? I am interested because I have just started using M&M in preference to BD Diamond Club because of the better mileage rates. Maybe the grass is always greener...

By the way, I don't think residents of Germany are able to join Diamond Club - have you got a UK address too?
Old Aug 7, 02, 8:08 am
Original Poster

Programs: M&M, BA EC, Delta, Hilton, Accor, IHG
Hi Small Em,
its as much a case of the M&M feeling they have to conform to stereotypical german customer service as anything else.The standard mentality with customer service here is that they are doing you a favour, so can be as rude as they like.Customer loyalty means very little (i.e.ask CustServ why you should fly LH when they treat you badly and you are more than likely to meet with a "well that's up to you" attitude) Recently spoken to on the phone to M&M in a way which suggested I was lucky the guy even picked up the phone,let alone deigned to help me out - typically got a call the next day from LH querying me not being on a flight i had cancelled, guy had not even done what he was telling me he was doing. This is not the first time and will not be the last and I would prefer to think about moving my loyalty elsewhere rather than putting up with LH's idea of customer friendliness for the rest of my life.........
Old Aug 7, 02, 2:25 pm

Programs: BA GGL, British Midland Lifetime* Gold, Marriott Lifetime Premier Platinum
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">putting up with LH's idea of customer friendliness for the rest of my life....</font>
Come over to BD. You'll probably spend a large part of the rest of your life sitting on the tarmac at LHR, but the crew are more fun.

Have you discussed a comp with Diamond Club?

Search this Thread