FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   bmi | Diamond Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/bmi-diamond-club-486/)
-   -   Need help with cheap BD flight (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/bmi-diamond-club/36391-need-help-cheap-bd-flight.html)

kempis May 16, 2002 12:46 pm

Need help with cheap BD flight

I need some help for the 55555 run to find some cheap BD flights.

I will arrive at LHR on the 4/7 at 17.45 and I need to be back at LHR on the 5/7 to catch the famous RG flight to CPH at 14.00

Can anyone find any on BD during that time? I dont care about destination just as long as I will be back before my RG flight.

The _Banking_Scot May 16, 2002 1:02 pm

Hi kempis,

Staying Thurday night 4th July, you will not get the chepest fares compared to if you stayed over a saturday night. However

There is this flight LHR-GLA
Dep LHR 19:10 Arr GLA 20:30 4th July
Dep GLA 06:30 Arr LHR 08:00 5th July
Price £113.60. ( The latter flight on Jul 5 raises the price to £143).

( Flights to Manchester at around that time coming back at 10:55 arriving 12:00 £100)

Regards
TBS

davistev May 16, 2002 1:46 pm

Gday Kempis,
How are you? May I suggest Sunny Belfast! www.travelocity.co.uk is showing 58GBP returns all taxes included for Lufthansa code-share flights to Belfast (operated by British Midland)

9:50pm Depart - London Heathrow, UK (LHR) Lufthansa 6748
11:00pm Arrive - Belfast, UK (BFS) Nonstop
Total travel time:1 hr 10 min

July 05
9:00am Depart - Belfast Harbour, UK (BHD) Lufthansa 6597
10:25am Arrive - London Heathrow, UK (LHR) Nonstop

Price including all taxes 58GBP.

Does not get much cheaper than this especially since no Saturday night stay is required.

Cheers, Dave-London,UK

kempis May 16, 2002 1:54 pm

Thanx for the ideas so far. Belfast looks very intresting and I just saw they have a Airport Hilton hotel as well http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/smile.gif

betty boop May 21, 2002 5:57 am

but surely a cheap flight would not qualify for 55555? is there somethning I am missing?

davistev May 21, 2002 7:34 am

Actually, a cheap flight will be okay for mileage redit from Mexicana, United, Air Canada, Lufthansa and I think a few more. It is British Midland who are insisting on top airfares to qualify for 55,555 miles from them.

Kempis - Yes, there is a brand new Hilton about 5GBP taxi ride from airport (they may even have a shuttle). Be sure to fly into Belfast Harbour Airport and not belfast nternational. The taxi ride to International is around 25GBP. My wife and I spent last last Saturday there and was very nice. We were surprised at just how clean downtown is and the ease of getting from the Airport to the City on the shuttle bus (2 GBP).

There is an American style AMC24 cinema complex there as well as some beautiful old buildings and an interesting dockyard area. At no time did we feel unsafe.

Dave - London,UK

kempis May 21, 2002 9:08 am

I will most likely book Belfast but my possibly travel companion doesnt like the idea to spend a night in Belfast. Would you consider the town to be safe?

Gaza May 21, 2002 10:01 am

Kempis

Belfast is very safe. It is probably safer than most cities in the UK. Obviously there are areas outside the centre where you would not wish to go, but these are easily avoided.

ajamieson May 21, 2002 11:07 am

Kempis,

I've worked in Northern Ireland during some difficult times and I have to say Belfast is much more safe than many other UK cities; it's also a great city with some fantastic bars.

You will also find the airport security very reassuring http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/biggrin.gif

Will you be staying in town or at an airport hotel?

Alastair

kempis May 21, 2002 11:58 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by davistev:
Actually, a cheap flight will be okay for mileage redit from Mexicana, United, Air Canada, Lufthansa and I think a few more. It is British Midland who are insisting on top airfares to qualify for 55,555 miles from them.

Kempis - Yes, there is a brand new Hilton about 5GBP taxi ride from airport (they may even have a shuttle). Be sure to fly into Belfast Harbour Airport and not belfast nternational. The taxi ride to International is around 25GBP. My wife and I spent last last Saturday there and was very nice. We were surprised at just how clean downtown is and the ease of getting from the Airport to the City on the shuttle bus (2 GBP).

There is an American style AMC24 cinema complex there as well as some beautiful old buildings and an interesting dockyard area. At no time did we feel unsafe.

Dave - London,UK

</font>
Thanx for the advice Dave. Are you sure that the taxi ride would be cheaper from the City Airport then the International even though the International airport is closer?

davistev May 21, 2002 2:09 pm

Kempis,
I am pretty sure the International Airport is a 25GBP ride and the City(Harbour) airport is a 7GBP ride from downtown. At least, that what the cabby said. Maybe there is another Hilton out at the International Airport as well.

Dave - London,UK

kempis May 21, 2002 3:34 pm

Which Hilton hotel are you talking about Dave? Hilton Belfast or Hilton Templepatrick? Belfast seems to be closer to the City Airport while Templepatrick is closer to the International one? Which one did you stay at?

NickB May 21, 2002 6:15 pm

There are no airport hotels as such at City Airport (BHD), which is within the city and very close to the city centre (5 mins cab ride - should be around 5 GBP, if that). The main Hilton is on the edge of the city centre, on the banks of the river Lagan.

I would strongly recommend flying into City airport and staying at the Hilton. Belfast International (Aldergrove) is in the sticks, a half-hour drive from the city, with absolutely nothing to do around there. The nearest town (Antrim) and village (Templepatrick) are rather grim and depressing places. Moreover, these days, Aldergrove is really a second-rate airport, used mainly by no-frills airlines (Easyjet and Go) and tourist charters. City airport, on the other hand, is an entirely new terminal (a year old or so), bright and airy. Other advantage: BD has more flights to/from BHD than BFS. If for some reason, your BFS-LHR flight is cancelled, you will have to trek down to Belfast or face a long wait in a terminal with little facilities.
And, yes, Belfast is safe. There sure are some areas that it would be prudent to avoid at night in East, North and West Belfast, but there is no reason why you would want to go there as a tourist in any event. Having been living here for about three years now, I can vouch that Belfast is incomparably safer than most major European and US cities (London, etc...)

[This message has been edited by NickB (edited 05-21-2002).]