Wiki Posts
Search

No BMI transatlantic J awards

Search this Thread

Old Jan 31, 2002, 4:17 pm
Original Poster

Programs: LH au VS au BMI au
No BMI transatlantic J awards

Just rang Lufthansa to book an award LGA-ORD-MAN and was told that booking cannot be booked. BD do not allow award flights in J on thier transatlantic flights. To say I am unhappy is an understatement. My company policy has just changed and I can now use them for flying from MAN to ORD and on to SFO in place of BA. I am saddened that a core value of *A has been overturned, namely the ability to earn and spend on *A carriers. BD, I know you have someone watching the board. I would like an answer. Please use my company address rather than my profile address [email protected] Given the number of flights I took with you last year (100+ in C) I am a tad unhappy. I hope we can reach an agreement on this. CA.COM is Computer Associates - one of your larger corp accounts I believe.

I look forward to closing this thread with a trip report, from what I believe is meant to be a stunning service
Old Jan 31, 2002, 4:42 pm

BD operate a three class service. They offer their own Gold members access to "The new economy".

BD do not offer J class on UA to their members. I was informed by Bmi that this has something to do with the policy that *A members have towards the redemption of award travel by a partner arline.

Bmi operate a short haul domestic and european network. Members from another *A arline will therefore be required to use a Bmi service a number of times to equal the use of a Bmi member in J class on another airline. To avoid Bmi having a significant movement to its new business service they have adopted this approach. Other airlines are prevented from access to the new business to avoid Bmi members moving to other *A members.

The business class service offered by Bmi is excellent. For that matter their New economy service is far ahead of BA and WT+
Old Jan 31, 2002, 4:59 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Hilton Diamond
I've been wondering about this as well. It is also impossible to redeem UA miles for bmi awards in transatlantic business class.
Old Jan 31, 2002, 11:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM. DL Plat, AS MVP
But I take it that UA MP members earn full status miles on BD's transatlantic flights, and that flights in J class earn appropirate bonus miles.
Old Feb 1, 2002, 3:57 am

Programs: Still a lowly Blue with BA but inching towards Bronze. Managed to get to KLM Silver!
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by woodie:
BD do not offer J class on UA to their members. I was informed by bmi that this has something to do with the policy that *A members have towards the redemption of award travel by a partner arline.</font>
Woodie - I think Jon was making the point that BD don't allow ANYONE to book rewards in "The Business". According to the DC on-line guide and the handbook, even us Golds can only redeem awards in "New Economy". Quite why BD have adopted this policy is puzzling. Even the ultra restrictive BAEC allows you to upgrade to Club! Looking at the DC site I see I can redeem points for Biz on other *A carriers. What gives bmi???
Old Feb 4, 2002, 4:40 pm
Suspended

O.K. - I don't fly BD BUT aren't all the
*A carriers supposed to have a standard
*A award chart across all the carriers as of
1/02 ???? Did this not happen ??? kazman

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.