ual vs bd

Old Jan 29, 02, 1:31 pm
Original Poster

Programs: LH SEN, SQ PPS
ual vs bd

hiya,

putting together a c-class rtw and i really wanted to try BD's 'the business'. the other option is to fly direct from west coast usa on the polar route. that would allow me to do a trancon in UA business. has anyone tried both or indeed all three and is willing to give me some advise ?

cheers, quilly
Old Jan 29, 02, 2:30 pm

Programs: BD / BA / AF
I've flown all three, if I understand the options correctly:

1) United Business - non-stop from west coast
2) United Business - via an east-coast hub
3) British Midland "the business"

UA premium trans-con services are identical to their international services, so there's no real point in taking anything but the non-stop flight. You'll get a decent night's sleep as well, rather than having the rather short six-hour flight from the east coast.

The British Midland service is fantastic, and "the business" is leagues ahead of UA's business class service in every respect. Service, seat comfort, entertainment, and food are all vastly superior.

I flew one of the very first trans-atlantic flights on BD. My trip report can be found on Flyertalk.

------------------
Please visit The Mileage Runner's Toolkit and Unofficial United Airlines Guide
Old Jan 29, 02, 2:48 pm

Programs: LH au VS au BMI au
If you have the time, I would do something like SFO/LAX-ORD-MAN. You het the benifit of a 2 class 777 (youll go in F) on the transcon and then BD J to MAN.

If you have time that is
Old Jan 29, 02, 2:58 pm
Original Poster

thank you both for your advise. the idea was to try all aspects of star alliance. i really want to try the BD product. jongar, is the SFO - ORD a two class 777 and if so are the 'first' class seats on a two class 777 better than business class seats on a three class transatlantic service ?
Old Jan 29, 02, 3:12 pm

No, the first class seats on a two-class plane are significantly WORSE than a business-class seat on a three class plane.

In newer configurations, the UA domestic first seat is essentially the international business seat minus lumbar support and footrest. Instead of 56" pitch, you get 38". Which is, in fact, only two inches more than you get back in Economy.

If you want to try both UA and BD's business class products, fly one of the three-class domestic flights from SFO to IAD or ORD -- and connect to BD from there.

Old Jan 29, 02, 7:16 pm

Programs: LH au VS au BMI au
Go to ORD - the IAD service stops in Denver - I assume you are using a RTW in F. May I ask what FF program you are putting your miles into ??
Old Jan 29, 02, 7:31 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by jongar:
Go to ORD - the IAD service stops in Denver - I assume you are using a RTW in F. May I ask what FF program you are putting your miles into ??</font>
*WHICH* IAD service stops in Denver? I've flown SFO-IAD non-stop on a three class plane. And the IAD-MAN service definitely doesn't stop in DEN.

Old Jan 30, 02, 10:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM. DL Plat, AS MVP
I will be doing aRTW with BD (ORD-MAN) in march. If you really want to get all aspects of *A, connect in MAN to SQ's nonstop to ZRH!
Old Feb 2, 02, 11:51 am
Original Poster

hiya jongar,

i'm putting together a rtw with *A. buying thu ticket in capetown (where i am now) and i'll be using my LH M&M FTL card for the 25% class of service thingy. (if that's what it is called). just really would like to try both UA and BD business class. i'll be coming transpacific into LAX on NZ, whose biz product is fantastic IMHO. and i've done the LAX-LHR with NZ too, so.....
Old Feb 2, 02, 1:29 pm

Programs: FB Plt; LH Sen // HH Dia; Bonvoy LTTE
Fly with UA. If you fly with BD you'll never switch to try any other airline because BD is really outstanding (BTW, they have an arrival lounge in MAN (Radisson SAS hotel)).

Search this Thread