Anyone done BD transatlantic yet?

Old May 14, 01, 1:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Anyone done BD transatlantic yet?

I will be planning some inter-US flights soon and am curious if anyone has used BD's new service yet? Is it any good (business)?
Old May 22, 01, 11:59 am

Programs: BD / BA / AF
"The business" sounds fantastic. I'm flying MAN-IAD on Saturday (sadly, I'll be flying in the back, but I'll make a point of walking around the plane!) and will post a trip report next week.

Old May 27, 01, 2:53 pm
dnw

I dont think its really anything special. It looks from the specs like Virgins old Upper Class, good but nothing fantastic. The most interesting thing to watch will be the fares... especially if they get the LHR slots..

dnw
Old May 29, 01, 9:34 am

The specs are like Virgin, but to someone who has been flying UA C-class on the LHR-IAD route, the service levels aboard BD are refreshing.

Old Aug 29, 01, 6:42 am

Programs: BA GGL, British Midland Lifetime* Gold, Marriott Lifetime Premier Platinum
I tried MAN-IAD for the first time last month.

After years of enduring miserable service on NW from AMS, it was fantastic. Got moved up to the 'new economy' both ways, and got a good deal on the ticket, too.

Excellent service, charming crew.

Alastair
Old Aug 29, 01, 9:53 pm

But do you really want to fly a glider ? I'll take a Boeing, thank you !
Old Sep 3, 01, 10:56 am

Programs: Amex Platinum, SPG Gold, Hertz 5*, Hyatt Platinum
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by ATLJV:
But do you really want to fly a glider ? I'll take a Boeing, thank you ! </font>

Hmm...there was a certain Boeing 767 glider that AC had in service in the early 1980's on its YUL-YEG run (landed at Gimli, Manitoba without fuel). I don't think its the airplane that's the problem, its the humans who fuel/maintain it.

Old Sep 3, 01, 11:49 am

Programs: LH au VS au BMI au
Glider ?

Please explain
Old Sep 3, 01, 1:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

[This message has been edited by ScottC (edited 09-03-2001).]
Old Sep 4, 01, 9:48 am

Please see also my trip report at:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/Forum81/HTML/001927.html

Old Sep 6, 01, 5:07 am

Programs: Lowest of the low in all airline programs but I am in the EZY FF Program!
Jongar

Glider = Air Transat A330 landing at Azores with both engines out due to fuel loss/starvation
Old Sep 6, 01, 5:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by ATLJV:
But do you really want to fly a glider ? I'll take a Boeing, thank you ! </font>
Meaning that Boeings DON'T run out of fuel?
Old Sep 6, 01, 6:04 am

More likely insufficient fuel loaded by the airline - the truth will out itself eventually !.
Old Sep 6, 01, 8:38 am

Programs: Lowest of the low in all airline programs but I am in the EZY FF Program!
On the PPRUNE forum there are many theories being spouted about the cause of Air Transat problems. The most common is "Uncommanded fuel dump". The other is that the pumps or the fuel lines failed causing starvation to the engines. The downside is Air Transats ETOPS certification has been pulled until the cause is discovered. Ait Transat have been heavily critisised for their Engineering lapses.
Old Sep 6, 01, 6:39 pm

Programs: BA GGL, British Midland Lifetime* Gold, Marriott Lifetime Premier Platinum
According to a BBC report a couple of days ago...

Airbus, Europe's biggest aircraft manufacturer, is asking all the airlines which use its A330 passenger jet to check their planes' fuel lines.
The call comes a week after a Canadian Airbus pilot was forced to fly his plane for more than 100 miles without power before making a forced landing in the Azores.

UK group Rolls-Royce made the Trent 700 series engines fitted to the plane, and has told all aircraft manufacturers using it that a crack in the fuel line - possible as a result of chafing against another pipe - is the most likely cause of the problem.

Alastair

Search this Thread