Bmi Regional Flies Back

Old Jun 9, 13, 3:27 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BD, BAEC Bronze, Hertz 5*, Accor Plat, HHonors Diamond, Big White Season Pass
Bmi Regional Flies Back

Article in the Telegraph

Sounds like this management team has a plan
Old Jun 10, 13, 4:56 am

Programs: LH SEN, BD Gold
I think the management of BM do have a plan, I just hope their financiers have enough steel to stick to it.

There is a profitable market in traffic between the UK Regions and Europe. The difficulties that BM will face are:
* Value - EZY turn up very quickly on any route that has potential, and they're certainly acting as the quasi-flag-carrier for any UK Regional - European traffic. BM will have to work out how to position themselves to protect against EZY swooping on successful routes and gutting them on price.
* Passenger volumes - too many people having Heathrow blindness, and just never think to fly from their local airport. There's a fundamental market change to engineer, to draw people out of LHR and back to regions. That's slow hard work.

BM have good service, punctuality and reliability, and a blossoming route network. Some codeshare work would help with volumes and enhance the value of the route network further.
Old Jun 11, 13, 6:43 am

Programs: BMI Diamond Club RIP,BAEC,LifeMiles
Originally Posted by BristolTraveller View Post
I think the management of BM do have a plan, I just hope their financiers have enough steel to stick to it.

There is a profitable market in traffic between the UK Regions and Europe. The difficulties that BM will face are:
* Value - EZY turn up very quickly on any route that has potential, and they're certainly acting as the quasi-flag-carrier for any UK Regional - European traffic. BM will have to work out how to position themselves to protect against EZY swooping on successful routes and gutting them on price.
* Passenger volumes - too many people having Heathrow blindness, and just never think to fly from their local airport. There's a fundamental market change to engineer, to draw people out of LHR and back to regions. That's slow hard work.

BM have good service, punctuality and reliability, and a blossoming route network. Some codeshare work would help with volumes and enhance the value of the route network further.
I hope your right, tho' I worry that the odds are heavily stacked against success. As you say EZY and FR for that matter are the regional players with low costs, deep pockets, profitability and an appetite to take competition.

Just look at how Flybe are struggling to find a profitable niche and they have an established routes with aircraft that are more fuel efficient than BMR's older jungle jets. These new routes do worry me. As we know new routes drain cash, generally taking 18 months and more to be profitable.
Old Jun 11, 13, 11:59 am

Programs: BD*G, A3*G, BAG/OWE, Accor Gold
Only trouble with the Flybe comparison, is that Flybe seem to have a crap business model.
Full service price, low service operation.

BMR does seem to provide the service to go with the price (I say seem as I've not experienced them for some time).

I do wonder if some opportunity at BRS is due to the lack in current success at Cardiff?
Old Jun 12, 13, 1:35 am

They've got to work out if they're going for yield or volume, and probably stick to whichever they decide and not flip-flop too much.

There are some routes they can clearly get yield on. BRS-HAM comes to mind, as there's a lot of Airbus traffic on that route. Looking at some of the fares (800 Economy Return), I'd say they're covered on that one.

BRS-MXP/MUC/FRA are longer shots, which fee like they need to survive on volume. I love being able to fly BRS-MUC for 133 return, but I don't think it's sustainable unless they've got most of the 49 seats filled on most of the flights.

The service proposition is sound, and the brand is decent. They just need to be able to support whichever plan it is they opt for until they break-even. I would think the long-term plan would be a disposal to a larger airline group, or a semi-permanent contract to operate flights for a larger airline.
Old Jun 12, 13, 1:23 pm

Do they have a frequent flyer scheme - with cash and miles, access to *A flights and a UK credit card with a sign up bonus? ;-)
Old Jun 13, 13, 8:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci Extraordinaire, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold (ex BD)
Originally Posted by lizban View Post
Do they have a frequent flyer scheme - with cash and miles, access to *A flights and a UK credit card with a sign up bonus? ;-)
Give them time

The way BM are growing I expect them to take over IAG in 5 years, then they can get diamond club back
Old Jun 13, 13, 11:42 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, LH M&M Pleb, VS FC Pleb, Hilton Diamond, IHG Pleb
Originally Posted by lizban View Post
Hope they sort one soon. The instant they do, my UK regional flying (>15 returns per year) goes their way.
Old Jun 13, 13, 12:40 pm

How about we call it Diamonte Club?
Old Jun 17, 13, 6:34 am

bmi regional launched ABZ-KSU

bmi regional have announced they're starting a weekday ABZ-KSU (Kristiansund) route, starting 28AUG, using a ERJ-135. Outbound at 14:00, return back by 17:35 (except Tuesdays for a couple of months, when it's an 07:30 out and a long day in Norway, because it's not back until 18:40?)

Let the speculation commence on where that aircraft is coming from.
Old Jun 17, 13, 2:38 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BD, BAEC Bronze, Hertz 5*, Accor Plat, HHonors Diamond, Big White Season Pass
That says to me that they've landed a contract with Statoil or some such oil/gas comapny
Old Jun 24, 13, 3:45 pm

Another great BRS-MUC flight today. 32 pax on the outbound, and about the same on the return (according to the crew). 2 cabin crew, as 1 was newly trained.

I must admit, I was in the Aspire lounge until the last minute, so didn't see how many people boarded the MXP and HAJ flights.
Old Jun 27, 13, 1:09 am

I was on MUC-BRS last night, which had 34 passengers on it, and the hugest hold load of passenger luggage I've ever seen rammed into a 145. (There were a couple of bikes in there).

Check in at MUC was complicated. There's only one agent handling the flight, but there seemed to be a family checking in who had problems. (Hadn't bought an infant ticket for their baby?).

Flight was fine, punctual, all that you'd want.

Interestingly, I was flying with a colleague who hadn't been to Munich before, and he was thinking about going back for a weekend(ish) visit. He thought 130 return from BRS-MUC was too expensive, which just goes to show how corrosive the LCC's have been to the perception of value. I pointed out his most recent EZY to TLS had been about that amount anyway, which he conceded.
Old Jun 28, 13, 5:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC/IB
Originally Posted by BristolTraveller View Post

Interestingly, I was flying with a colleague who hadn't been to Munich before, and he was thinking about going back for a weekend(ish) visit. He thought 130 return from BRS-MUC was too expensive, which just goes to show how corrosive the LCC's have been to the perception of value.
Indeed...the LCC's have brainwashed the flying public into believing that any fare costing three figures must be too expensive. I remember the pre LCC's days when I thought the 150 I paid BD for a GLA-CPH return flight was an absolute steal. No wonder airlines are going out of business.
Old Jun 29, 13, 4:09 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott LTPP
Talking

Booked my first flight on "new" BMI yesterday

MAN > ABZ > MAN (same day return)

First (intentional) booking outside the star alliance in nearly 3 years

I thought 167 was a bargain...

Search this Thread