Community
Wiki Posts
Search

One year on. Where did we all go?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21, 2013, 6:25 am

Programs: BA, *A, Hertz Goldstar, Mucci wannabee, Waitrose, safari Oleg
Originally Posted by El Puerco Volante
Also fly BA sometimes, but usually dread the experience - lottery with ......, totally uneatable food and usually mediocre service.

Regards,

El Puerco Volante
+ 1 ^
Old Apr 21, 2013, 7:21 am

Programs: BA Blue, Sixt Platinum, HH Gold
Living in the happy land of having just enough Avios earned mainly through the bmi credit cards to keep me on RFS flights between MUC and EDI this year. Sometimes even CE. Don't know what will happen in the next couple of years though...
Old Apr 21, 2013, 7:23 am

Programs: BD, BAEC Pleb, VS Pleb, Accor Pleb, HHonors Gold, Big White Season Pass
Originally Posted by h15t0r1an
+ 1 ^
^+2
Old Apr 21, 2013, 4:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
I have to say, I did not fly bmi a huge amount in the old days, unless it was on a route that I needed to do, such as LHR-Scotland and also BSL-MAN. So not a lot has changed for me, just the usual endless round of Lufthansa Regional between Switzerland and Germany, and a lot of KLM flights which led me to Gold status.

The one big novelty is I fly a heck of a lot more airberlin than I ever thought I would, mainly for the tier points at BAEC, but also because of their excellent service. They have to be one of the best in Europe at the moment.
Old Apr 22, 2013, 3:47 am

Programs: BA Silver
I’m definitely flying a lot less and have taken the decision to no longer chase status once my BA status expires. I’ll probably try the status match game to stretch things out as much as I can but after that I’m just going to fly the best airline for my needs which will be quite refreshing. Right now I’m flying BA a lot given the 100% Avios bonus and I must say I am enjoying their lounges and service on the whole. Was on a ex bmi A319 the other day which brought back nice memories (and made a change to have a bright cabin ex LGW rather than the usual 734s!)

Following my last redemption in December I haven’t set foot on *A since.
Old Apr 23, 2013, 2:27 am

Programs: LH SEN
I took advantage of that super match offered by LH to SEN, , and earned SEN the hard way. More than 120K status miles on LH last year. Expect to renew SEN this year, which should keep me in *A gold until 2017.

Been on BA DUB-LHR a few times - I do miss the bmi crew.

Looks like I'm the only one so far that went with the LH program...
Old Apr 23, 2013, 2:41 am

Programs: LH FTL, BA Bronze
I never used DC for status but just for cheap awards. The latter I am now getting from Lifemiles.
Old Apr 23, 2013, 4:44 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, UA*G, former BD*LG :-(
I've remained *A loyal and gone with UA (status match, well challenge) who aren't nearly as bad as I expected. Premium economy is a plus (particularly getting all the choice seats at booking time), I've scored a couple of upgrades on US domestic flights, and am loving the status bonuses. Also a fan of their million miler thingo, which is now my new obsession and has me flying the long way around to Europe!

Downside is the Memphis Belle's they have limping back and forth from MEL to LAX and SFO! So far I have avoided the cancellation lottery but Mrs netd not so lucky
Old Apr 23, 2013, 3:34 pm

Programs: BA Silver BD Silver
One year on. Where did we all go?

For Aberdeen to London I'm using a mix of BA and east coast (7 hours but 5 food and drink servings ! Will try Virgin at some point as I'm a fan of Branson but the plans for little red have left me well underwhelmed.

BA is fine and the lounges are obviously better. But I've yet to meet any BA crew that offer the same service that bmi staff did, that genuinely is not meant as a criticism. To explain before I'm jumped on by the BA forum members. I guess it's because I've yet to have the same crew on more than one flight. bmi had less flights and less crew so you saw crew more often. To balance that I've had no real complaints with BA.
Old Apr 24, 2013, 4:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

A3 for status. Toping up a US account for redemption opportunities though this is likely to merge into my AA account at some point.

BA provide domestic service, apart from MAN where the train simply makes more sense. Sadly BA have dropped many of the interesting & worthwhile destinations from the bmi network so the incidence of long weekends away in cool places has declined. The £250 or less to Morocco deals were my swansong.

I miss the can do attitude of many bmi staff. The catering and lounges are not mourned however.
Old Apr 24, 2013, 7:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BAEC LT Gold, HH Dia, MR LT Plat, IHG Diamond Amb, Amex Plat
I gave up on *A since LH started monkeying around with status points. I consolidated pretty much all my travel into OneWorld. I may look for a TK match at some point but I have no burning need for it right now.
Old Apr 24, 2013, 8:23 am

Programs: BD,Skyteam,QF
I had a lovely time using a major portion of my stash of DC miles on a Business return to Australia, booked Jan/Feb '12, travelled Feb-Mar '12, but haven't set foot in an airport since. Now I wish I had gone for First all the way.
Retired in May, but 15 years of work travel has dulled my appetite for wandering aimlessly, so I hope the Avios survive until I think of somewhere I'd like to go.
I have fond memories of Malaysian Airlines via KL, with the nice transit hotel, which I found more pleasant than the equivalent in Changi, though the lounges in Changi are another soothing memory.
There was nothing memorable about the 8 months commuting DUB-LHR tues-fri, despite the good service from the nice people in BMI. The miserable aspects completely outweighed them unfortunately. Access to the lounge helped me avoid the hen parties heading down to the EI gates on friday nights of course.
Old Apr 24, 2013, 9:42 am

Programs: A3 *G, BA Silver
I'm happy over on the Darkside - the difference between T5 and T1
Domestic and the lounge provision is huge. Flying a lot on BA now, sometimes on *A if better - I have A3 *G in the bag, so OK for comfort, if not for claiming.

My BA Amex is racking up miles - I'm only worried about how to spend them.
Old Apr 24, 2013, 11:38 am
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
Still mostly with *A, crediting to A3. About 66k miles into that last year.

BA's decision to status match me has got them some business, with a CE return to MAD on a cheap upgrade from Y and TXL later this year because LH annoyed me just a little too much by cancelling a flight on my last BD redemption!

I've got no chance of retaining BA Gold due to limited travel in anything other than Y, so shortly I'll have to decide whether to switch all travel into Oneworld and attempt to make Silver. At the moment, in spite of earnings reducing with many of the North America airlines, that's still likely to be *A due to better quality airlines flying into SIN.
Old Apr 24, 2013, 3:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, BA Silver, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by measures
I have fond memories of Malaysian Airlines via KL, with the nice transit hotel, which I found more pleasant than the equivalent in Changi, though the lounges in Changi are another soothing memory.
Just make sure you're comparing apples with apples here (or would that be durian, being SE Asia???)

Both Singapore & KL have excellent landside hotels connected to the airport now - a Crowne Plaza and Pan Pacific respectively (with the latter giving a high speed golf buggy ride down the corridor from hotel to terminal!). I understand the airside versions aren't quite as luxe....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.