Fun with the washington snow

Old Mar 9, 13, 6:11 am
Original Poster

Fun with the washington snow

Someone might move this thread to another forum but I thought this was as good a place as any - in San Juan hotel as I type - first class flights booked many months ago with cash & points - London Washington for a couple of days then Washington Charlotte San Juan for a holiday -
Monday March 4 United to Washington great flight excellent service
then weather forecast about the snow storm that did not happen - hotel said Dulles would cancel flights even before it actually happened - so it's 3am on the Wednesday morning and I am chatting to a nice lady at US Airways and yes my 07.40 flight is cancelled - she tries all the options but the best was economy from Baltimore to Phily and then Washington the next day -
oh well I'll have to take it - so an extra night in Washington to pay for - a lost night in San Juan already paid for - a 120 dollar taxi to Baltimore instead of a 60 dollar taxi to Dulles and a lost sailing yacht trip booked for my first day in San Juan. Oh and US airways mislaid my luggage in Phily but all found now - it arrived six hours after me...
It's not the airlines fault about the snow - I saw the snow but it melted as it touched the ground - also understand all government offices in Washington were shut but of course all the shops were open.
Old Mar 9, 13, 12:03 pm

Programs: BA Gold(OWE), QF LTG, MR Plat, IHG Spire, Hertz PC
Is this not what travel insurance is for?
Old Mar 9, 13, 12:16 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by Traveloguy View Post
+3 - Exactly. All OP needs to do is put in a claim and pretty much everything he's listed off is generally covered.

Also, not sure why anybody would take a cab from DC to BWI in order to take an 8-minute flight from BWI to PHL, rather than a train from WAS-PHL and likely be at PHL faster than the taxi + plane shlep.
Old Mar 9, 13, 3:21 pm
Original Poster

As far as I know - weather/acts of god is not covered by insurance and although correct about the Baltimore journey-at 3am - 4am on the phone to US Airways and the taxi driver for the cancelled flight hanging around - too late to cancel him - I really did not feel like checking train times etc etc for connections - mind you my luggage might have arrived with me - it was a 09.40 Baltimore flight -
Old Mar 10, 13, 7:37 pm

Out of interest, do you know of any travel insurance policies available in the UK which would cover this? I've generally found they don't cover delays when it's not caused by your flight from the UK, or they cover 25 per 24 hours ... not enough for the things posted.

I had a nervous few hours when travelling via NYC with the snow last month, and realised it was a bit of a hole in my current coverage.
Old Mar 11, 13, 4:47 am

Originally Posted by smokeyone View Post
As far as I know - weather/acts of god is not covered by insurance and although correct about the Baltimore journey-at 3am - 4am on the phone to US Airways and the taxi driver for the cancelled flight hanging around - too late to cancel him - I really did not feel like checking train times etc etc for connections - mind you my luggage might have arrived with me - it was a 09.40 Baltimore flight -
???

I had a similar situation only 2 months ago on exactly the same route (yes, exactly). All was covered by my American Express travel insurance policy. Amex handled it brilliantly and the money was in my account a few days after putting in the claim. I was very careful and made sure to keep all receipts as well as obtained letters from airline confirming situation etc. In our case, we were originally scheduled to get into DCA, but due to 'snow' placed on a PHL bound flight as our original flight was cancelled. Due to the last minute change of plane, we luggage did not make it and we required car hire to get to our destination etc. With the claim for car hire, emergency clothes etc, were were around 650 GBP out of pocket and all was picked up by insurance so I am curious to know why you think you would not be covered.
Old Mar 11, 13, 5:12 pm

Originally Posted by marble View Post
Out of interest, do you know of any travel insurance policies available in the UK which would cover this? I've generally found they don't cover delays when it's not caused by your flight from the UK, or they cover 25 per 24 hours ... not enough for the things posted.

I had a nervous few hours when travelling via NYC with the snow last month, and realised it was a bit of a hole in my current coverage.
Amex does not seem to have an issue with this. In fact in my case I only charged the domestic US flight to my Amex issued Amex and my TATL to my bmi MC. The US domestic flight had issues but Amex was happy to cover the disruption which involved flying to an alternate airport, covering a rental car, fuel, tolls and new clothes until my bad was returned to me. There were limits but I did not hit those limits.
Old Mar 12, 13, 11:46 pm

Programs: BA,LH,CX,EK SPG,IC mainly and a few others
Amex does not seem to have an issue with this. In fact in my case I only charged the domestic US flight to my Amex issued Amex and my TATL to my bmi MC. The US domestic flight had issues but Amex was happy to cover the disruption which involved flying to an alternate airport, covering a rental car, fuel, tolls and new clothes until my bad was returned to me. There were limits but I did not hit those limits.
Amex covered me during Hurricane Sandy last year- was stranded in MAD as US cancelled the MAD-PHL and would not reaccommodate us on non-US flights. Rather than sit out in MAD for five days to get three J seats, ended up cnxling US tickets and buying new ones with IB which meant additional GBP 2600 for the three of us plus an infant. Amex paid up without any problem.
There was a limit of GBP 400 per person though, so I ended up GBP 1000 out of pocket.
Old Mar 21, 13, 12:31 pm
Original Poster

Still away at the moment but will double check when I get back about insurance coverage.
Last time I had a weather/cancellation/disruption my insurance said no - aircraft failure they would have sorted out but not weather problems - will report back in a few days - maybe I should have Amex insurance ......
Old Mar 22, 13, 2:57 pm
Original Poster

Landed at Heathrow early this morning, pity my luggage did not land with me - luggage did not make flight but was put on mid morning flight - still waiting at 9pm

...still waiting for my luggage to arrive - confirmed it has left Heathrow -
it's now almost 9am Saturday morning

Last edited by smokeyone; Mar 23, 13 at 2:57 am

Search this Thread