Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > bmi | Diamond Club
Reload this Page >

Do you still drop by here for a little nostalgia?

Old Feb 20, 13, 5:03 pm
Original Poster

Programs: A3 *G, BA Silver

I can't help it - maybe because the page is included my list of auto-open bookmarks, but I pass through most days. Hoping again for the pleasant place that was the BD board -with it's own sense of being, and certainly not being BA.

Where is everyone now - do you still pass by, or am I missing out on moreBDtalking.com?

I frequent the BA board, but it's not what it was, nor what this board was. Even more so with the recent MFT revelations, which seem to have tainted the whole experience for me.

Other than that, I hang around KLM, Travel Buzz, Travel Products (Always have been a gear fondler), the UK local thread and, of course, A3 - but nothing much happens there.

So -where are you all now? What's your new home? Or has FT lost its purpose with the loss of BD?

Last edited by MAN Pax; Feb 20, 13 at 5:33 pm Reason: stray '
Old Feb 20, 13, 5:17 pm

Programs: BMI Diamond Club RIP,BAEC,LifeMiles
Originally Posted by MAN Pax View Post
I can't help it - maybe because the page is included my list of auto-open bookmarks, but I pass through most days. Hoping again for the pleasant place that was the BD board -with it's own sense of being, and certainly not being BA.

Where is everyone now - do you still pass by, or am I missing out on moreBDtalking.com?

I frequent the BA board, but it's not what it was, nor what this board was. Even more so with the recent MFT revelations, which seem to have tainted the whole experience for me.

Other than that, I hang around KLM, Travel Buzz, Travel Products (Always have been a gear fondler), the UK local thread and, of course, A3 - but nothing much happens there.

So -where are you all now? What's you new home? Or has FT lost it's purpose with the loss of BD?
absolutely,can't leave it alone either, the MFT clique is priceless, absolutely sums up them folks
Old Feb 21, 13, 1:23 am

Programs: LH SEN, BD Gold
Nostalgia?!

I'm here to discuss the daily going-ons at Bristol Airport's fastest expanding airline!
Old Feb 21, 13, 1:54 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz, and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Originally Posted by BristolTraveller View Post
Nostalgia?!

I'm here to discuss the daily going-ons at Bristol Airport's fastest expanding airline!
Old Feb 21, 13, 2:14 am

Programs: BD, BAEC Bronze, Hertz 5*, Accor Plat, HHonors Diamond, Big White Season Pass
Originally Posted by BristolTraveller View Post
Nostalgia?!

+2

I miss this place. The BA board is a souless hell hole with more collateral damage than a Die Hard film.
Old Feb 21, 13, 2:31 am

Programs: EI-GCE, BD-G, BA-G, A3*G, TK*G, FB-G, HH-G, Hyatt-Dia
Folks, if we go down the road of slagging off the BA board for being what it is, then we're not likely to be going anywhere productive... and the thread will likely be locked down.

If the BA board is to become something appealing to BD folks, then the place to start effecting change and influencing the prevailing/underlying culture is over there, not here.

Thanks,

GoldCircle
bmi forum Mod team
Old Feb 21, 13, 2:37 am

Programs: EI-GCE, BD-G, BA-G, A3*G, TK*G, FB-G, HH-G, Hyatt-Dia
As I don't and likely won't fly BA ex-DUB, I have little interest in the BA forum - and as noted, the tenor of the place doesn't suit my interests. The Star alliance is still a better fit for my wallet and my travel pattern. But mostly my wallet.

The Aer Lingus forum is shaping up to be a rather nice place with a definite sense of home about it... funnily enough, most of the, er, regulars (can you say that after a month? ) are the Irish contingent from this place, so you'll feel welcomed and at home there. A bit like Ireland, actually!

I am keeping a watching brief on A3 and TK in terms of home forums, but neither will ever be what this place has been. I think to look for the old sense of community, is a fool's errand - if we are to find a new purpose in participating in FT, it also means to find a new sense of interest.
Old Feb 21, 13, 2:43 am

Programs: BA, *A, Hertz Goldstar, Mucci wannabee, Waitrose, safari Oleg
I come back regularly. Hoping for little snatches of the warmhearted wit and genuine friendliness I found here. Looking out for the bmi regular posters whose mix of just plain niceness, occasional silliness we could all share, and sheer practicality I love. Giggling at the cat nemes which the bmi board introduced me to. Many of the names from the BMI board are posting on the BA board. When I see their posts it feels a little like home. The BA board is more like a big mountain to get to know compared to the BD board. The BD board has felt like a warm village.

Some of the "my champagne wasn't served cool enough" threads on the BA board - many of them served up for humour - are priceless.

I also haunt the Travel Products forum especially the technical threads (computers, laptops, comms gadgets and feedback). I've found some really bright helpful people there and contribute on those where I can.
Old Feb 21, 13, 2:45 am
Original Poster

Programs: A3 *G, BA Silver
Originally Posted by GoldCircle View Post
Folks, if we go down the road of slagging off the BA board for being what it is, then we're not likely to be going anywhere productive... and the thread will likely be locked down.

If the BA board is to become something appealing to BD folks, then the place to start effecting change and influencing the prevailing/underlying culture is over there, not here.

Thanks,

GoldCircle
bmi forum Mod team
Apologies if misconstrued - not looking to reopen MFTgate - just part of my reason for not venturing on to the BA board. I'm really interested in where people are now, per the last line of my post.

Originally Posted by MAN Pax View Post

So -where are you all now? What's your new home? Or has FT lost its purpose with the loss of BD?
Old Feb 21, 13, 2:46 am

Programs: BA, *A, Hertz Goldstar, Mucci wannabee, Waitrose, safari Oleg
Originally Posted by Tiger_lily View Post
+2

I miss this place. The BA board is a souless hell hole with more collateral damage than a Die Hard film.
So Tiger_lily..... other than that, you quite like the BA board then?

Last edited by h15t0r1an; Feb 21, 13 at 3:13 am
Old Feb 21, 13, 3:19 am

Programs: BA Silver
Wooow, a new thread in the BD board, how exciting

I stop by here only when see an interesting thread in the forum list (like this one!) Other than that it is sad to read about people having troubles with their remaining BD redemptions so tend to stay away from all the unhappiness (there are other places I can go for that!)

I donít post much anymore and am on flyertalk much less, but I keep a semi-regular eye on the BA forum and am becoming slightly obsessed with the Tesco thread but havenít yet resorted to buying and selling ink cartridges! I definitely miss the BD vibe but am not interested enough to hang out on the A3 board as I have no interest in flying them or, until 2015, holding onto their status

I must admit BAEC is growing on me and the Avios are pretty easy to come by. I did get a sense of nostalgia the other day though when looking for a flight to LAS. It seems strange to be ignoring the likes of UA, US and AC (especially when they are cheaper) which I bent over backwards to fly not long ago in favour of BA and AA. Iíve pretty much turned my back on *A now. As long as I cling on to BAEC Gold/Silver and get 100% mileage bonus Iíll try to fly BA/AA as much as possible.

Never thought Iíd say that
Old Feb 21, 13, 3:41 am

Programs: BD, BAEC Bronze, Hertz 5*, Accor Plat, HHonors Diamond, Big White Season Pass
I put a LOLcat on the EI forum

Other than that, I've extracted 3k MR out of Amex for quietly dropping Hilton Gold as a Amex Plat benefit. I've got nothing to moan about as far as Hertz goes unless they screw me over on my Easter holiday rental. I miss trawling ANA for redemption opportunities

I do however like BM's expansion, rooting for the underdog and all that.

I am in the running for a job which requires occasional travel to MEM and SYD so I may have to reconsider my FF options once I see the company's travel policy
Old Feb 21, 13, 4:49 am

Programs: BA VS Gold; Hyatt Accor Marriott SPG Plat
Originally Posted by Tiger_lily View Post
I miss trawling ANA for redemption opportunities
+1

Twice the fun (for half the price) compared to BA's Avios tools and redemption rates.

To be fair, I think there's plenty of constructive stuff on BAEC when there's actually offers etc, and while I still prefer *A it would be churlish not to eke out the advantages offered by BA's Gold match and soft landing to Silver.

I probably spend most time otherwise looking at US Airways (most of our long-haul travel is TATL and the MAN-PHL Envoy offering is v.good) - but they'll be going the way of OneWorld with AA - and I always hoped for VS to make the leap to *, but that was finally skewered by the Delta deal.
Old Feb 21, 13, 4:56 am

Programs: BA Bronze, A3*G, TK*S
The bmi forum is still my default destination when I type "f" into my address bar and press the down arrow. I tend to then move onto the BA forum and have a glance around - although I tend not to read all that much there, due to lack of time and sheer volume of posts. (On the other hand, I tended to read everything posted in the bmi forum, where possible.)

Interesting to see what bmi Regional are up to, and hoping I may get the chance to fly them at some point - hopefully they may have an FFP in place by then.
Old Feb 21, 13, 5:30 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, LH FT, A3*G, CX Gold
I tend to have a look at BA's forums: trying to wade through endless complaints and personal attacks (and hoping to never in my life encounter some of the cabin crew and some of the non-crew/BA contributors who post on there) for any details on how to maximise the use of/top up my Avios since I still have a few in my BAEC account

Avianca/Taca + A3 + LH since Star Alliance still seems to be a better match for my travel plans and location

Search this Thread