Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > bmi | Diamond Club
Reload this Page >

Missed flight redemption ticket... help!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 1, 2012, 1:08 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold / IHG Platinum AMB

Dear FT-ers,

I need some opinion/advice,

I used my last BMI miles for a one-way redemption ticket DUS-IST(TK)-ICN(OZ)-TPE(OZ) in C for my wife.

What happened? My wife reached IST and was somehow confused and thought departure time was boarding time! When she arrived at the gate, she was refused and her luggage was already off-loaded.

Well, it was a hell of a day for both her and me. As OZ has only 3 flights a week, the next available flight is Tuesday (today is Saturday). But TK staff could not change this BMI-redemption ticket. They sent her to OZ, but OZ-office was already closed in IST. It was impossible for TK to book her on an TK-flight instead of OZ, which I can understand.

Well, as this is a very uncertain situation, I decided to book a new ticket: a one-way ticket IST-BKK(TK)-TPE(CI) in Y for €627 the same day. At least I could get her out of there...
But I am throwing away the business class ticket!

My questions:
- What would you have done in this situation?
- Is it possible to receive back some part of paid taxes?

Thanks for replying... I need a break...pfff
Old Dec 1, 2012, 10:20 pm

Oh dear, what a horrible situation. So sorry to hear that.
Old Dec 2, 2012, 1:11 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: TK Gold, M&M FTL, QR Gold, HH Diamond, PCR Platinum
Originally Posted by griep
My questions:

My lesson learned is to give family members dumb-down instructions on where to go, how long, what to do, whenever they travel on their own. It is too late now for your wife, as next time I'm sure she will not repeat this mistake If she had to be in TPE, then the one-way ticket was the right way to do it.

I would be amazed if you can get some taxes back, as it would be after the first leg, which is the deadline for any kind of cancellation or change.
Old Dec 2, 2012, 2:12 am

Programs: BA Avios, UA MP, AA, Choice, Club Carlson
Wow, that is a FT nightmare. Lesson learned. Dont think you will get anything back though.

Maybe the taxes from unflown segments?

You are a good husband for tolerating your wife for such a huge mistake.
Old Dec 2, 2012, 4:55 am

Programs: BMI DC Gold, BA Gold, LH SEN, Priority Club Platinum, Nectar purple
My initial thoughts would have been divorce, but after I'd calmed down I would figure having to fly to Taipei in economy was sufficient punishment.

I too would be surprised if you could get any tax back - I was flying to China via MUC a few years ago on a paid but unchangeable ticket. When I arrived in MUC there was a message waiting for me informing me of a family emergency, so I had to return home. I tried and failed to claim any tax back.

On the plus side, your wife has learned a very valuable lesson that she's unlikely to repeat.
Old Dec 2, 2012, 3:01 pm

Programs: BD*G, A3*G, BA-S, Accor Gold, IHG Amb
I have previously cancelled the last leg of a partly flown redemption ticket due to a schedule change {and a resultant change of plans which necessitated me buying a new redemption ticket). I was offered (without asking) a refund of the taxes if I got in touch with the refunds department...not that I ever did.
Old Dec 2, 2012, 7:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Most
Originally Posted by griep
Well, as this is a very uncertain situation, I decided to book a new ticket: a one-way ticket IST-BKK(TK)-TPE(CI) in Y for €627 the same day. At least I could get her out of there...
But I am throwing away the business class ticket!

My questions:

There wasn't much else you could do than buying a new ticket.
Old Dec 3, 2012, 1:09 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies.
I am happy I chose for the option to buy another ticket. It was a waste of money and more important: waste of a valuable business class ticket. But anyway, I calmed down and try to forget it.

Indeed lesson learned for her and lesson learned for me to use my miles for myself in future, unless we travel together.

I will be flying tomorrow to TPE, but on a paid ticket in Y with KLM. See, I am a too sweet husband, to spend my miles for a ticket in C for my wife and travelling in Y myself...
Old Dec 3, 2012, 1:15 pm
Original Poster

By the way,
She told me that TK in Y was surprisingly good! Good entertainment system and even sockets to charge your phone and connect USB!

And another bad word about her: she lost her frequent flyer card during all the hassle in the airport! (SAS Eurobonus Gold!). Fortunately I registered the number when I booked the new ticket, so she had at least lounge access...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.