What would you do?

Old Nov 20, 12, 10:17 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC
What would you do?

Hi,
My last redemption with BMI is two Lufthansa Business class LHR to DEL returns, out and back during the daytime on the new 747-800 and returning on a A340-600. It cost me 75000 miles and £1600 cash inclusive. I've now noticed that I can buy 2 Virgin premium economy tickets, out overnight and back during the day) on an A333 for £1840. Should I cancel the redemption and keep my, now 75000 Avios miles for a BA redemption ( I've got 60000 already). Is it worth the extra £240, or was the BMI rewards so good that I should use it. Flight times are shorter with Virgin and I don't have to change in Germany, but I won't get to fly the new 747-800 and I'll be in premium economy.
Please somebody tell me what to do!!
Neil
Old Nov 20, 12, 11:12 am

Programs: Lots, some no/low status some high status, can't be bothered to list them :-)
Originally Posted by nmcguff View Post
Hi,
My last redemption with BMI is two Lufthansa Business class LHR to DEL returns, out and back during the daytime on the new 747-800 and returning on a A340-600. It cost me 75000 miles and £1600 cash inclusive. I've now noticed that I can buy 2 Virgin premium economy tickets, out overnight and back during the day) on an A333 for £1840. Should I cancel the redemption and keep my, now 75000 Avios miles for a BA redemption ( I've got 60000 already). Is it worth the extra £240, or was the BMI rewards so good that I should use it. Flight times are shorter with Virgin and I don't have to change in Germany, but I won't get to fly the new 747-800 and I'll be in premium economy.
Please somebody tell me what to do!!
Neil
How can someone tell you what to do? You know the value of each scheme, you know the difference in the cabins. Surely it's up to you?
Old Nov 20, 12, 12:18 pm

Programs: BD*G, A3*G, BAG/OWE, Accor Gold
Presumably you will also earn some miles on Virgin Atlantic that you could shift over to Amex MM (for later shifting onto BA)?

No idea what VS Premium Economy offering is like though, let alone for night flights. I do know I'm not keen on LH lounges, but have heard good things about VS lounges (assuming PE gives you access).

I think personally I'd not bother with the LH flight as it's LH afterall...and if you value 1 Avios at 1p, you'd be saving £750 worth...don't know what taxes you paid on your redemption flight but they sound pretty high to me.

Also, I don't know your life-expectancy, but there's surely every chance of flying the 747-800 at some point in the future too, seeing as it's a new type?

Obviously I'm not you* so can't make a recommendation, only say what I'd do.

*unless I need to seek advice from a professional.
Old Nov 20, 12, 12:23 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Private Pyle View Post
How can someone tell you what to do? You know the value of each scheme, you know the difference in the cabins. Surely it's up to you?
Yes, well, I didnít really want someone to tell me what to do, I was hoping that by asking the question in an amusing manner I may have had some replies highlighting points I hadnít considered. Perhaps someone who has used both cabins could give me an opinion, or maybe a more experienced Avios user could indicate Avios value compared with what I had already booked with my BMI miles. There is still time for that by the way and I shall keep checking back in hope, but thanks for your input.
Neil
Old Nov 20, 12, 12:28 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jbfield View Post
Presumably you will also earn some miles on Virgin Atlantic that you could shift over to Amex MM (for later shifting onto BA)?

No idea what VS Premium Economy offering is like though, let alone for night flights. I do know I'm not keen on LH lounges, but have heard good things about VS lounges (assuming PE gives you access).

I think personally I'd not bother with the LH flight as it's LH afterall...and if you value 1 Avios at 1p, you'd be saving £750 worth...don't know what taxes you paid on your redemption flight but they sound pretty high to me.

Also, I don't know your life-expectancy, but there's surely every chance of flying the 747-800 at some point in the future too, seeing as it's a new type?

Obviously I'm not you* so can't make a recommendation, only say what I'd do.

*unless I need to seek advice from a professional.
Thanks for that, I hadn't even thought about getting the Virgin miles into Avios.
Old Nov 20, 12, 2:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jbfield View Post
(assuming PE gives you access)
It does not, I am afraid.
Old Nov 20, 12, 4:46 pm
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz, and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
I'm assuming 75000 miles and £1600 was cash and miles for two people. I'm not a fan of LH C by any means but I recently flew two segments in C for the first time in two and a half years and survived! An overnight flight on the 748i and a daytime flight on the 346 just like the OP.

I don't know anything about VS Premium Economy but I can't imagine it's superior to LH C (although some M&M forum regulars call it premium economy ). The new C seats on the 748i are great for two people travelling together though not so good for single travellers if they want a window seat. If you decide to fly on the 748i, try and get seats on the upper deck.
Old Nov 21, 12, 10:24 am

Programs: A3 *G, BA Silver
Is it worth 75,000 avios and £200 to upgrade from WT+ to C.

For me, maybe not. Better upgrades to be had in BA. VS PE is way better than BA and I'd be happy there to Delhi.
Old Nov 24, 12, 3:44 pm

Programs: BD/BA G, VS G, SQ S, Hilton Honors D, IHG S/A, SPG G, CC G, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by nmcguff View Post
Thanks for that, I hadn't even thought about getting the Virgin miles into Avios.
You can also transfer them to Hilton points (1:2 ratio) if that's any help to you? I must say I'm not a massive fan of LH C and if the flight timings work better for you you're probably better going with VS and putting the Avios to good use for a future upgrade. Perhaps get a BA Amex and use the purchase of the VS flight to start you off towards your sign-up bonus and companion voucher that you could then use with the 75k Avios you saved?

Search this Thread