Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > bmi | Diamond Club
Reload this Page >

Using one *A airline's card for lounge access and another to earn miles

Old Nov 14, 12, 4:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver, A3

Hi
If I arrive at a *A lounge and present a Gold card for one airline but that doesn't match the airline that I want to earn the miles, will I be admitted?
Thanks
Old Nov 14, 12, 5:23 pm

Depends on the airline and station, but officially, for M&M carriers, this is now forbidden since a few months.
Old Nov 14, 12, 9:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton IHG LH BA TK
Originally Posted by hugolover View Post
Depends on the airline and station, but officially, for M&M carriers, this is now forbidden since a few months.
I'm sure you're correct, but could you point me to further information on this?

In the quite recent past I've had not too much trouble getting Senator benefits on LH flights while crediting the miles elsewhere, and vice versa.

A change will make the micro-management of multiple accounts much more difficult !
Old Nov 15, 12, 2:44 am

Programs: LH SEN, BD Gold
I think this would be out of line with Star Alliance rules

Star Alliance Gold Customers Travelling in Any Class:
* Customers have access to any Star Alliance member carriers' owned lounges with the Star Alliance Gold logo at the entrance.
* Customer must present proof of Star Alliance Gold level status via a valid frequent flyer program Star Alliance Gold level card or other valid indication of Star Alliance Gold level status
* Customer must also present a boarding pass for travel on a Star Alliance flight departing from the local airport
* Customer is entitled to one guest
* United and US Airways Star Alliance Gold customers may only access the United Clubs and US Airways Clubs within the U.S. when travelling in conjunction with a Star Alliance international flight.
Nothing in there about card issuing airline and operating airline having to be aligned.
Old Nov 15, 12, 6:18 am

Programs: A3 *G, BA Gold, former BD *G, OZ Diamond Plus *G, VA Gold, AA, DL, EK, QF, Amex
Originally Posted by hugolover View Post
I haven't flown on M&M carriers for a few months but on many other carriers this is fine. Some carriers will let you put the FF number that you have status on in the FQTS field and the one which you wish to credit points to in the FQTV field - but if you do this, it is worth checking that the numbers are in there the right way round.

An alternative is to book with one number and change the number after entering or on exiting the lounge or at the gate. Like the FQTS/FQTV method, this does have some risks, as you are may not always to get a new BP back specifying the programme you are crediting to.

Either method should make receiving additional baggage allowances and priority security/preferred seating (where offered) easier, compared to just showing a *A status card, as the status should be reflected on the BP.
Old Nov 15, 12, 11:01 am
Senior Mod and Moderator: Aegean Miles&Bonus and British Airways

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Spire
On LH twice recently I've changed my FF number after check-in closed because I was on a non-mileage earning fare in A3. This ensured I kept my middle seat block but at least got some miles credited to M&M - and this worked. On airlines where it's impossible to change the FF number after it's been entered (A3 is an example) I guess you could ask at the gate.

Last edited by NWIFlyer; Nov 15, 12 at 12:27 pm
Old Nov 15, 12, 11:17 am

Location: In theory near BHD or ABZ, but usually a hotel in another country
Programs: Seniors Bus Pass, BA Silver
You should be fine. I do it regularly. I have done it with A3 and OS and LH within the last month, where I entered their lounges using a TK gold card, all earnings were on to A3. So as not to carry too many cards around I only carry one Gold card on each alliance.

Entered the Sen lounge in VIE, and they kindly asked if I wanted the miles on the card shown, but I declined. There was no issue. The only issue is if you are *G. They are well used to people maintaining currency in more than one airline.
Old Nov 15, 12, 2:17 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver, A3
Thanks for all the info. Antichef good to see your name. It would be an A3 Gold card with miles going to TK and on a UA flight!!

Search this Thread