Airline lost my booking

Old Nov 13, 12, 5:49 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL, AF Silver
Airline lost my booking

About 8 months ago, I made a booking for four people (family Xmas holiday) to Luxor, using bmi miles for Egyptair. Since then, it appears that two of the four passengers were inadvertantly cancelled by Diamond Club after BA took over bmi. So now we only have two reservations.

Daimond Club say they can do nothing. Their records show that they cancelled the 2 bookings in May, but they can't explain why, and say they now have no ability to book replacement flights. British Airways are 'investigating' but say that they have no direct relationship with Egyptair. Egyptair say that it wasn't their fault that Diamond Club cancelled the booking.

Any views on who is responsible for sorting out the mess, and what the best way is to do this? Does the BA Exec Club have a responsibility now that BA has taken over bmi?
Old Nov 13, 12, 6:36 am

Programs: SQ-PPS+8, BA-Mucci Diamente, Mucci Siegneur des Bains Chauds
Do you have the PNR or booking reference? Type this into www.checkmytrip.com along with the passenger's last name.

It will probably show that the booking no longer exists, however, it should record what the booking was and when it was cancelled and by whom.

The other question you may want to find an answer to concerns whether this was ticketed or merely a reservation made. If a ticket was issued, what are the first three numbers? If this is 236 it is ticketed by bmi and BA, I'm guessing, has assumed liability on the purchase of bmi.
Old Nov 13, 12, 7:52 am

Programs: BA GGL & CCRC, TK*G, FB G, HHH D, SPG P.
Were the taxes from the two cancelled bookings refunded to your credit card? If not, then you should be fine and BA will have to stump up some seats somehow...

Alternatively, start contacting your credit card company for support?
Old Nov 13, 12, 8:25 am
Original Poster

Booking was cancelled by Diamond Club in May. By mistake. Taxes were never refunded, and no contact was made to inform us of any changes.
Old Nov 13, 12, 8:36 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, PS, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
Do you have an e-ticket receipt? If you do, BA should sort you out somehow. And perhaps by 'investigating' BA means that they are looking into how to help you?
How did you find out about the cancelation?
Old Nov 13, 12, 8:52 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Q for the experts. When BA took over, did it assume the liabilities of BMI?

That is usually the case and if so, a BMI ticket should mean that the pax gets from BA whatever it would have received from BMI (legally). This would, of course, not extend to routine courtesies which may have existed in the past.

On the other hand, it may well be that there were specific legal exclusions, approved by the respective governments, with appropriate notices to pax (as consumers), relieving BA of the liability.

You really need that information in order to figure out whether you can make a demand or an "ask."
Old Nov 13, 12, 3:02 pm
Original Poster

Andriyko - I found out about the missing reservation by putting the booking reference into Egyptair and finding out that we only had 2, not 4, tickets to Luxor. Luckily, we still have the emails that bmi sent us confirming that we originally had booked all 4 tickets.
Old Nov 13, 12, 3:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC/IB
Sounds like a typical DC cock-up of which there were many.

BAEC seem to have looked after DC members interests pretty well during the wind down of the DC programme but this one might just be too much of a challenge as they have to rely on Egyptair playing ball.
Old Nov 14, 12, 12:44 am

Programs: BAEC Gold [>20k Lifetime TPs] | Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond [as is Mrs PtF] | Various Others
Originally Posted by HIDDY View Post

Egyptair playing ball.
Given the post-revolution reduction in tourist numbers (albeit now on the increase again), and the consequent negative impact on the Egyptian economy, I would have thought MS would fall over themselves to 'play ball'.

With apologies to Basil Fawlty - "A customer - we should have him stuffed!"
Old Nov 14, 12, 1:13 am

Location: Either below the Ockham stack or below the approach to SDKY
Programs: UA 1MM/*G. AA EXP for 1 more year. Then, who knows?
I can see how, with the best will in the world, they couldn't really call Egyptair and say "Hi, remember us?". But is there an Air Berlin connection that would be acceptable to you? One would think that BA should have a better chance with securing seats there.

Last edited by Passmethesickbag; Nov 14, 12 at 1:49 am
Old Nov 14, 12, 1:44 am
Suspended

Programs: BAEC Silver, Flying Blue Gold, Gulf Air Silver, Aegean Gold, M&M FQTV, Air Malta Diamond
Originally Posted by Phil the Flyer View Post
Given the post-revolution reduction in tourist numbers (albeit now on the increase again), and the consequent negative impact on the Egyptian economy, I would have thought MS would fall over themselves to 'play ball'.

non sequitur, I am afraid, with MS, they have just rescheduled flights on a full fare J class ticket, twice in 5 days.

Both times, they rescheduled the middle connection of three flights so it left later than the last flight!

The first time, I called, explained why it wouldn't work and had it fixed, the second time I just cancelled and went elsewhere.
Old Nov 14, 12, 3:33 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
As this relates to a Diamond Club award booking, I've moved this thread from the BA forum over to the DC forum.

/mod
Old Nov 14, 12, 4:55 am

Programs: BA Gold, A3 Gold, BD..oh, wait..
Originally Posted by Phil the Flyer View Post

Governments may come and go, but I suspect Egyptair is one of those organisations that change comes much more slowly to
Old Nov 14, 12, 5:48 am

Programs: BAEC Gold [>20k Lifetime TPs] | Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond [as is Mrs PtF] | Various Others
Originally Posted by Final 3 Greens View Post

non sequitur, I am afraid, with MS
Hence my deliberate use of the word 'would'.
Old Nov 14, 12, 6:05 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Still no answer to the underlying question of what BA's legal obligations are. It's clear that industry courtesies won't work here and why that is so, is irrelevant to OP.

Thus, back to the original question. Does anyone here know whether BA acquired the liabilities?

Search this Thread