Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What's WiFi like in the GBL?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 1, 2012, 4:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Mucci Extraordinaire, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold (ex BD)
What's WiFi like in the GBL?

Never needed to use wifi in any bmi lounge before. Is wifi in the Great British Lounge usually of a decent speed and does it require a login?

Is it fine for someone who's supposed to be working from home and needs to log into a VPN?
Old Oct 1, 2012, 6:56 am

Programs: BA GGL
I've always found the WIFI in all bmi lounges to be perfectly decent and reliable, and it's pretty easy to connect (not like some of those lounges you get in the States where they give you a scratch card with a user name and password and then you get kicked off and have to log in again every five minutes).

To be fair though I've probably never tried to use it for anything especially bandwidth hungry. For the sake of my own sanity I tend not to attempt to connect to my work VPN unless the connection for the entire route from me to the company's data centre is by way of a nice fat fibre optic cable.
Old Oct 1, 2012, 7:13 am

Programs: BA Gold, TK*G, EI Elite
Download speeds are fine for a bit of surfing and email but certainly not for streaming or, as said, anything bandwidth heavy. Upload speeds are dreadful.
Old Oct 1, 2012, 7:21 am

Programs: BA bronze card, NHS Blood Donor silver card
I've only used it once, so perhaps a more frequent traveller could confirm this - it's provided by The Cloud, and all you need to do is go past the splash screen to get connected.
Old Oct 1, 2012, 7:25 am

Programs: Mucci, BMI*G, M&M SEN, FB Gold, PC Plat, Father of GhettoIFE
It's run by "The Cloud"... so expect slow upload speeds, and reasonable times for short requests. Things that require bandwith as FlyingOnceMore notes aren't that hot.

The Star Gold Lounge is run by BTOpenZone, and to be blunt, was just as bad.

Unless you're just doing Remote Desktoping over a VPN, it could be a challenge that you don't need.
Old Oct 1, 2012, 4:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Mucci Extraordinaire, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold (ex BD)
Most I'd be doing over a VPN is downloading emails and replying to them. IN my last company we didn't need to connect to a VPN to do just email, but we do here.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.