Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > bmi | Diamond Club
Reload this Page >

DC closing : Summary of questions to be answered

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DC closing : Summary of questions to be answered

Search this Thread

Old Oct 2, 2012, 8:19 am
soy

Programs: various
What happens in the following scenario for awards after DC closes....

Operating carrier makes involuntary schedule change to award.
Operating carrier rebooks passenger onto alternate flight (either automatically or following intervention by customer with the operating carrier).

Does the ticket need to be re-issued by BD after the change in order for it to be valid, or is it enough that the operating carrier has adjusted the ticket?
Old Oct 2, 2012, 8:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by soy

Operating carrier rebooks passenger onto alternate flight (either automatically or following intervention by customer with the operating carrier).

Does the ticket need to be re-issued by BD after the change in order for it to be valid, or is it enough that the operating carrier has adjusted the ticket?
Ticket will need to be reissued and the re-issue will have to be handled by BD/dc, unless it is at departure or en-route, where a marketing or operating carrier should be able to re-issue the ticket if needed.
Old Oct 2, 2012, 9:18 am
soy

Originally Posted by NickB
Ticket will need to be reissued and the re-issue will have to be handled by BD/dc, unless it is at departure or en-route, where a marketing or operating carrier should be able to re-issue the ticket if needed.
So what would happen in the case of my recent award....

UA changed schedule and rebooked me on next UA flight (no issue with mct's).
I saw it in Checkmytrip and left it sit for a few months (insurance against needing to cancel). Eventually I called BD and told them I accept the changes (they never contacted me).

What would have happened if I had just shown up at the airport without ever calling BD, IDB?

Last edited by soy; Oct 2, 2012 at 9:43 am
Old Oct 2, 2012, 9:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by soy
What would have happened if I had just shown up at the airport without ever calling BD, IDB?
It would not be an IDB since this pre-supposes that you have a valid ticket for the flight.
You assume that dc would never have contacted you. They might have before the flight.
If they did nothing, you turned up at check and UA refused you (which they would be entitled to do), you would have to buy another ticket and presumably seek reimbursement from dc for their negligence in failing to re-issue the ticket. Alternatively, UA might have been able to take ownership of the ticket at this stage and made the change themselves.
Old Oct 2, 2012, 9:28 am
soy

Originally Posted by NickB
It would not be an IDB since this pre-supposes that you have a valid ticket for the flight.
You assume that dc would never have contacted you. They might have before the flight.
If they did nothing, you turned up at check and UA refused you (which they would be entitled to do), you would have to buy another ticket and presumably seek reimbursement from dc for their negligence in failing to re-issue the ticket. Alternatively, UA might have been able to take ownership of the ticket at this stage and made the change themselves.
Intresting. I agree they might have tried to contact me but there is a possibility they would not get through...then I would have the airport roulette.
It really would be better for all concerned if they would simply re-issue the ticket in such scenarios.

I have a LH/OZ/TK award for next March, so fingers crossed I do not have to revisit this topic.
Old Oct 2, 2012, 9:29 am

Programs: BD, BAEC Pleb, VS Pleb, Accor Pleb, HHonors Gold, Big White Season Pass
Originally Posted by soy

Also if 236 ticket stock is no more does that make a difference?
Old Oct 2, 2012, 6:23 pm

Programs: BA S, VS S, SQ G, HH D, IHG D/A, Marriott G, Radisson G, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by GoldCircle
Yes, when you select a new default partner on your HiltonHHonors profile, that should be the one that ought to credit.

If concerned, you can simply ask the front desk to confirm the active choice when you check in, or look at the check-insheet you sign - they can change it on the spot if the change is not reflected.
Originally Posted by layz
The airline partner is added at the time of booking and changing in your profile shouldn't alter that.

So any already booked will have bmi in the booking, but it's simple to change to whichever airline you prefer (I think Iberia is a better choice for Hilton Avios but I need to check).

I discovered this when I seen my BA number in a Hilton reservation, I quickly corrected them, they changed it at the desk and it credited to bmi.

I had made a rare Hilton booking just before the BA takeover, and the stay was after the takeover and 1:1 miles transfer was announced and so I wanted it to go to bmi. Since I was getting 1000 miles a night Hilton suddenly increased up my preference list.
Indeed - beware with Hilton that two things are handled differently:

1) MyWay earning preference (HHonors points+points/points+variable miles/points+fixed miles) - you can change this preference after booking. The preference in effect at midnight CST on the day of checkout will be the one that takes precedence:
Originally Posted by HHonors T&Cs
Members can change their Earnings Style at any time. The Earnings Style Option in place for a Member as of 23:59:59 U.S. Central Standard Time on the day of check-out for a given stay will be the Option that governs earnings for that stay. No changes can be made retroactively for past stays.
2) Airline program preference - these are carried forward from the time of booking. You can change them at check-in (or indeed I believe prior to check-out), but just changing your preference on the HHonors website will only affect future bookings. This cannot be changed retrospectively either (as I found to my detriment when I realised I had switched to BA when their was a promo in place and forgot it had remained like that - cue rubbish earning at Hampton Inn when it could have been decent earning on bmi!)
Old Oct 2, 2012, 8:04 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Tiger_lily
Also if 236 ticket stock is no more does that make a difference?
Even if 236 ticket stock is no longer being used for new tickets, existing 236 stock ticket coupons will be still accepted for settlement/clearing, so exchanges of tickets shouldn't be a problem. That isn't to say problems won't arise.
Old Oct 3, 2012, 4:02 am

Programs: BMI Diamond Club RIP,BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by GUWonder
Even if 236 ticket stock is no longer being used for new tickets, existing 236 stock ticket coupons will be still accepted for settlement/clearing, so exchanges of tickets shouldn't be a problem. That isn't to say problems won't arise.
But what if a new ticket number is required?
Old Oct 3, 2012, 11:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by YorkieFlyer
But what if a new ticket number is required?
No reason why they could not re-issue on BA stock.
Old Oct 3, 2012, 7:36 pm

Programs: DL DM, AA ExPlt, Diamond HH, HY, BW, & Titanium Elite Marriott
Originally Posted by DiamondClubQueries
You can continue to access accounts for members under 18 but as they cannot earn through the credit card, you will need to prevent the individual balance to the BA Household Account to prevent the miles from expiring

With regads to the Hilton earn rates through the BA Executive Club, there are no planned changes to the current accrual rates as detailed for all of our partners on ba.com

Best regards

Nicci
What does "you will need to prevent the individual balance to the BA Household Account to prevent miles from expiring" mean? That is not English to me.
Old Oct 4, 2012, 9:46 am
Company Representative - British Airways

Originally Posted by EasternTraveler
What does "you will need to prevent the individual balance to the BA Household Account to prevent miles from expiring" mean? That is not English to me.
It means you will need to transfer the balance from the individual Diamond Club account to the individual Executive Club account. Executive Club members must first be enrolled through a Household Account if they are under 18
Old Oct 4, 2012, 4:28 pm

Programs: BA Executive Club, AC Aéroplan, Accor ALL
Originally Posted by HPN-HRL
Just trying to make sure I have the correct information WRT the precise timing of the end of partner earning (specifically Hilton). If I stay at a Hilton and check out on October 27th, will that stay earn DC destination miles (assuming my account is set that way)? What about a hotel stay checking in on the 27th and checking out on the 28th?

Thanks again Nicci for all your patience with us!
I am actually in a situation similar to this which is why I posted my question. Hilton stays have always taken ages to post, so I am now wondering if my stay checking-out on 26 October will post or if not? If it doesn't, will Diamond Club process it retrospectively (and if so what's the latest date to submit a claim)?
Old Oct 4, 2012, 4:41 pm

Programs: BA Gold, TK*G, EI Elite
Thankfully there is a simple solution available to all those running around like headless chickens fretting over whether their October Hilton stays will post or not.
Old Oct 5, 2012, 3:51 am

Sorry, I may be a bit slow here and a bit behind the announcements but I've only just got round to reading my DC e-mail today and I notice that it states:

'Earning and spending your destinations miles on airline partners British Airways, Jet Airways, Qatar Airways and Transaero Airlines'

What about UA? I only have about 5000 DC miles left, but I'm thinking of signing up for the MBNA card to take me up to 25,000 miles.

The reason I ask is I need to book a very short (25 minute) flight on UA next year from SEA-PDX, but it's about £60 one-way. I was hoping perhaps that if I have some old miles kicking around then I could use them for this trip and just pay a couple of $ in tax.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.