Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > bmi | Diamond Club
Reload this Page >

diamond club to be wound up 28 Oct (except MBNA diamondclub.org created) : Discussion

diamond club to be wound up 28 Oct (except MBNA diamondclub.org created) : Discussion

Old Sep 28, 12, 7:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Mucci Extraordinaire, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold (ex BD)

Email from bmi:
During the past few months, we have been in contact with you regarding a number of changes that have been made to the Diamond Club, following the sale of bmi to IAG, the owner of British Airways.

Following a detailed review of the Diamond Club, we would like to announce a series of further changes.

From 27 October 2012, the following benefits will no longer be available:

• Earning and spending your destinations miles on bmi operated flights with a bmi flight number
• Earning and spending your destinations miles on airline partners British Airways, Jet Airways, Qatar Airways
and Transaero Airlines
• Earning destinations miles on bmi hotel partners, WorldPoints, through American Express Membership
Rewards or when you shop online
• Buying destinations miles
• Upgrading your flight with destinations miles
• Earning status miles

However, Diamond Club customers will still be able to earn destinations miles by using the bmi Credit Card and can transfer these into Executive Club Avios at an attractive rate, using our transfer tool. Find out more about transferring your miles here.

Please review the new terms and conditions here.

From 28 October 2012 you will not be able to access your Diamond Club account on www.flybmi.com. However, we have created a new website for our UK and South West Pacific members called www.diamondclub.org, where you can access your destinations miles balance and full account information. The new website will be available from 27 October 2012.

Tier match with the Executive Club

If you are a Diamond Club Gold or Silver member, don’t forget you can still apply for matching tier status within the Executive Club until 31 December 2012 at ba.com/tiermatch.

Gold and Silver members can also continue to access the bmi and selected British Airways lounges at London Heathrow and London Gatwick until 31 December 2012.

British Airways is inviting all Diamond Club members, who are not already members of the Executive Club to enrol at ba.com/welcomebmi.

For more information on the changes please visit ba.com/diamondclub.

Hugs and/or kisses,

Peter Simpson
Managing Director

Diamond Club and Executive Club – general questions

As a UK-based Diamond Club member, how can I check my destinations miles balance after 27 October 2012?
As a UK based Diamond Club member, you will be able to use our new Diamond Club website www.diamondclub.org which will be available from 27 October onwards

As a non-UK or South West Pacific based Diamond Club member, how can I check my destinations miles balance after 27 October 2012?
As a non-UK/SWP based Diamond Club member you will be able to log into your Diamond Club account and check your mileage balance online at www.diamondclub.org, which will be available from 27 October onwards.

As a non-UK or South West Pacific based Diamond Club member, what will happen to my account and destinations/status miles after 31 December?
As a non-UK based Diamond Club member your Diamond Club account will close on 31 December 2012. Any destinations or status miles remaining in your account on this date will automatically expire. Remember to transfer your destinations miles to Avios and request your tier match via the online tier match form.

To request the transfer you must log into your Executive Club account, select 'update my details' from the left hand navigation menu and then select 'Combine my Avios' from the list of options on your screen.

> Complete the online tier match form

As a South West Pacific member (i.e. Australia/New Zealand), what will happen to my account?
We are currently reviewing options for our customers who live in the South West Pacific. We will freeze your Diamond Club account and destinations miles balance until further notice but assure our members in the South West Pacific that your loyalty is important to us and we will do everything we can to complete this review quickly.

What if I have a query as a South West Pacific member?
We have created a new website at www.diamondclub.org which will be available from 27 October 2012. Queries can be submitted using the online ‘Contact Us’ section or by contacting the Diamond Club call centre.

As a Diamond Club member, can I continue to use my Gold/Silver membership card to access Lounges?
The normal refund policy will apply for any cancelled award bookings. You will receive a full refund of any miles and cash paid for the booking. Any refund of destinations miles will be made into your Diamond Club account.

As a Diamond Club member, which British Airways lounges can I access using my Diamond Club membership card before 31 December?
Gold Diamond Club members can access the Galleries First lounge, Galleries Club lounge and Arrivals lounge at London Heathrow Terminal 5. Gold Diamond Club members can also access the London Gatwick British Airways First and Club lounges as well as the London Gatwick Sofitel arrivals lounge.
Please note that Gold members may take one guest into the lounge, but guests are not permitted in the arrivals lounges.

Silver Diamond Club members can access the Galleries Club lounge at London Heathrow Terminal 5 and the British Airways Club lounge at London Gatwick. Silver members may take one guest into the lounge.

Please bring your membership card with you as you may be asked to present this in order to gain access to the lounge.

What if I currently hold lifetime Gold status at the Diamond Club?
British Airways does not offer an unlimited or lifetime tier status. Diamond Club Lifetime Gold customers will therefore be invited to join the Executive Club Gold tier for a minimum of one year.

Are you closing Diamond Club?
The Diamond Club is moving to a UK only programme on 31 December 2012. This means that the Diamond Club programme outside of the UK and South West Pacific will close on this date. As a UK based Diamond Club member you can continue to collect destinations miles with a bmi Credit Card from MBNA. We will be in touch with members in South West Pacific in due course to advise the options available to them.

Diamond Club and Executive Club – existing award bookings

Will my future award booking with a Star Alliance airline, Virgin Atlantic, Qatar, Jet Airways, Transaero, BA, bmi baby/regional be honoured?
Any existing bookings you have with any Star Alliance airlines, Virgin Atlantic, Qatar, Jet Airways, Transaero, British Airways or with bmi regional will be honoured and you can travel as planned.

Due to the fact that bmi is no longer a member of the Star Alliance, and Virgin Atlantic is no longer a partner of the Diamond Club, you will not earn any destinations or status miles on any future bookings with these airlines. You can continue to collect destinations or status miles when you fly with bmi regional until 30 September 2012.

You can continue to collect destinations miles when you fly with Qatar, Jet Airways, Transaero and British Airways until 27 October 2012. Bmi baby ceased operation on 9 September 2012.

Can I cancel or amend my future award booking with a Star Alliance airline, Virgin Atlantic, Qatar, Jet Airways, Transaero, BA or bmi regional?
Unfortunately you will be unable to amend any existing bookings you have with any Star Alliance airlines or with Virgin Atlantic. You can continue to amend any existing bookings you have with bmi Regional until 30 September, or with Qatar, Jet Airways, Transaero and British Airways until 27 October after which you will be unable to make any amendments to your booking.

You can choose to cancel any future award bookings you have with any previous or existing bmi air partners at any time.

How can I cancel a future award booking with any Star Alliance airline, Virgin Atlantic, Qatar, Jet Airways, Transaero, BA or bmi Regional?
You can contact the bmi call centre in order to cancel any existing booking you have.

> bmi contact details

As a non-UK based Diamond Club member with a future award booking – what is the refund policy if I want to cancel my booking after 27 October?
As a Diamond Club member based outside of the UK, if you choose to cancel an existing award booking after 27 October 2012 you will receive a full refund of any cash and destinations miles paid when the booking was made. Please note that you must transfer any destinations miles to your Executive Club account before 31 December 2012 when the Diamond Club programme closes outside of the UK and in Australia and New Zealand.

As a non-UK based DC member with a future award booking – what is the refund policy if I want to cancel my existing booking after 31 December?
As a non-UK based Diamond Club member, if you choose to cancel an existing award booking after 31 December 2012 you will receive a full refund of any cash paid when the booking was made. Unfortunately you will not receive a refund of any destinations miles paid due to the fact that your non-UK based Diamond Club account will be closed from 31 December onwards.

As a UK-based Diamond Club member with a future award booking – what is the refund policy if I would like to cancel my future award booking?
The normal refund policy will apply for any cancelled award bookings. You will receive a full refund of any miles and cash paid for the booking. Any refund of destinations miles will be made into your Diamond Club account.

Diamond Club and Executive Club – earning

As a Diamond Club member which airlines can I continue to earn destinations miles with when I fly?
You can continue to earn destinations miles when you fly with bmi, British Airways, Qatar, Jet Airways and Transaero. Please note that if you have a booking with any of these airlines where the date of travel is after 27 October, your booking will be honoured however you will not earn destinations miles.

As a Diamond Club member which airlines can I continue to earn status miles with when I fly?
You can continue to earn status miles when you fly with bmi or bmi Regional. Please note that you will no longer earn status or destinations miles when flying with bmi Regional after 30 September. You can continue to earn status miles when you fly with bmi until 27 October 2012.

As a Diamond Club member which airlines can I no longer earn destinations miles with when I fly?
You can no longer earn destinations miles when you fly with any Star Alliance airlines or with Virgin Atlantic. You will no longer be able to earn destinations miles when you fly with bmi Regional after 30 September 2012.

As a Diamond Club member which airlines can I no longer earn status miles with when I fly?
You can no longer earn status miles when you fly with any Star Alliance airlines. You will not earn any destinations or status miles when you fly with bmi Regional after 30 September 2012.

As a Diamond Club member, can I continue to purchase destinations miles?
Yes, you can continue to buy destinations miles online until 27 October 2012.

As a UK-based Diamond Club member, which non-airline partners can I continue to collect destinations miles with?
You can continue to earn destinations miles with bmi partner hotels, when shopping online and with your bmi Credit Card account from MBNA. Please note that after 27 October you will only be able to collect destinations miles using a bmi Credit Card account from MBNA

As a non-UK based Diamond Club member, which non-airline partners can I continue to collect destinations miles with?
You can continue to earn destinations miles with bmi partner hotels and when you shop online. You will no longer be able to earn destinations miles after 27 October 2012.

As a Diamond Club member which non-airline partners can I no longer collect destinations miles with?
You can no longer earn destinations miles with bmi hotels, Europcar or Purple Parking.

As a UK based Diamond Club member, how can I collect destinations miles after 27 October?
You will be able to continue collecting destinations miles after 27 October using a bmi Credit Card account from MBNA

As a non-UK based Diamond Club member, how can I collect destinations miles after 27 October?
The Diamond Club is moving to a UK only programme, and as a non-UK based Diamond Club member you will be unable to earn destinations miles after 27 October 2012. Any destinations miles that remain in your account after this date should be transferred to Avios with the Executive club before 31 December 2012 when the non-UK programme closes.

As a Diamond Club member with a future booking on British Airways, how can I earn Avios and tier points with the Executive Club on my booking?
After 27 October you will no longer be able to earn destinations miles with the Diamond Club, therefore if your Diamond Club number is linked to a future British Airways flight booking you should update your booking with your Executive Club number in order to earn Avios and Tier Points through your Executive Club account instead.

Diamond Club and Executive Club – redeeming

As a Diamond Club member, which airlines can I continue to redeem destinations miles with?
You can continue to redeem destinations miles for flights with bmi, British Airways, Qatar, Jet Airways and Transaero. You will not be able to redeem destinations miles after 27 October, however you will be able to transfer your destinations miles into Avios with the British Airways Executive Club.

As a Diamond Club member, which non-airline partners can I no longer redeem destinations miles with?
You can no longer redeem destinations miles for bmi hotel and Europcar discount vouchers or for treats.

As a Diamond Club member, how do I redeem destinations miles after 27 October?
If you would like to redeem destinations miles after 27 October, you will have to transfer them 1:1 to Avios with the Executive Club. You can then redeem your Avios for flights with British Airways, oneworld airlines and British Airways partner airlines, hotels and car hire.

Diamond Club and Executive Club – transfer tool and tier match

As a Diamond Club member, how do I transfer my destinations miles to Avios?
In order to transfer destinations miles to Avios you must become a member of the Executive Club. Please ensure that the details on your Diamond Club and Executive Club accounts match, including name, email address and date of birth – this will allow us to process your request. To request the transfer you must log into your Executive Club account, select ‘update my details’ from the left hand navigation menu and then select ‘Combine my Avios’ from the list of options on your screen. To complete the request, simply follow the instructions on your screen.

As a UK based Diamond Club member when does my ability to transfer destinations miles to Avios end?
You can continue to transfer destinations miles to Avios until further notice. Please note that you will only be able to collect destinations miles using an MBNA credit card from 27 October onwards. In order to redeem destinations miles collected through your bmi Credit Card account from MBNA after 27 October, you will have to transfer your destinations miles to Avios.

As a non-UK based Diamond Club member you will be unable to check your mileage balance online after 27 October. You can call the Diamond Club to check your mileage balance or you can view your destinations miles balance through your Executive Club account when you use the transfer tool.

As a non-UK based Diamond Club member, when does my ability to transfer destinations miles to Avios end?
You can transfer destinations miles to Avios until 31 December 2012. Any destinations miles remaining in your account after this date will automatically expire when the non-UK programme closes.

As a Diamond Club member, can I transfer my status miles to the Executive Club?
No, status miles are non-transferable. If you hold Gold or Silver Diamond Club tier status British Airways will match your tier within the Executive Club.

As a Gold/Silver Diamond Club member, how do I tier match within the Executive Club?
If you would like to tier match within the Executive Club, you must visit ba.com and complete the online tier match request form. Your request to tier match may take up to 21 working days to be processed. Please note that you must join the Executive Club before you request to tier match if you are not a member already.

> Complete the online tier match form

As a Gold/Silver Diamond Club member, until when can I request to tier match within the Executive Club?
You can request to tier match within the Executive Club until 31 December 2012.

As a Gold/Silver Diamond Club member, how long will my tier match within the Executive Club last?
When you tier match within the Executive Club you will be given your new tier status for the remainder of your existing Executive Club membership year, and the full membership year following.

Last edited by Oxon Flyer; Sep 28, 12 at 8:07 am
Old Sep 28, 12, 7:23 am

Programs: United 1K, Alaska MVP 75K, HH Diamond
Yup just got this too, so basically thats it, the end of our diamond club.
Old Sep 28, 12, 7:24 am

Programs: MUCCI -- What else matters?
Rats, was just about to post.

Well, that's it. Staying at Hilton hotels until 27/10, hopefully all of those points will still post! :-)

-simon
Old Sep 28, 12, 7:28 am

Programs: BA Bronze, A3*G, TK*S
I noticed that www.flybmi.com is also closing on the 28th October 2012. I'm not sure what will happen then, maybe it'll redirect to BA or perhaps it'll redirect to bmi regional?

BA has also posted some details about the winding up of Diamond Club, including that they are "currently reviewing the options for our Diamond Club members who live in the South West Pacific."

Also, looking at the FAQs, Diamond Club members outside the UK will NOT receive any refund of miles if bookings are cancelled after the 31st December 2012, as those account will effectively be deleted. Cash will be refunded though. Within the UK (and presumably Australia/New Zealand) you will get miles refunded.
Old Sep 28, 12, 7:36 am

Programs: BA GGL
Nothing much there that we didn't already know, given that after 27 October there won't be any flights left with a BD code anyway, will there?

The main things we didn't already know about are the continuation of the credit card for the foreseeable future, plus an end date for the tier match on 31 December 2012 and continuation of BA lounge access with a DC card until then, which is great news for those like me who happen to have DC status until next year and a BA year end date in November or December. Having wondered for the past five months whether I was being a mug to hold out on the tier match, my heart sank when I first saw the e-mail as I thought it was announcing game over from 27 October, and then I actually punched the air when I got to the bottom and saw the end date for the tier match.
Old Sep 28, 12, 7:45 am

Programs: BA OW Silver, Aegean *A Gold, Intercon Ambassador Gold, EY Gold
Wound up

Interesting that the credit card earning route is still open - presumably they want to close it but can't for the meantime due to some contractual arrangement with MBNA.
Old Sep 28, 12, 7:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bariummeal View Post
Interesting that the credit card earning route is still open - presumably they want to close it but can't for the meantime due to some contractual arrangement with MBNA.
It'll either be that (although you'd think bmi ceasing to exist would be a decent enough get out clause) or the card is proving to be a nice little earner for BA and so they're keeping it - but at arms length as they'll presumably have an exclusivity deal with Amex.

What do those on here think most likely? Also if it's contractual anyone got an idea when the contract will run out?

Overall the biggest loss to me is Hilton, but I'm happy for all the miles I've made in the meantime

Thanks BA for giving us decent notice this time, not like that dreadful email from Gavin where a number of partners ceased with immediate effect. It shows that BA are trying to do the right thing.
Old Sep 28, 12, 7:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, EK, IHG, SPG
What do people make of this?

"In addition, please note that Diamond Club membership are no longer awarded Status Miles or allocated membership status. Existing Diamond Club Gold & Silver members are being welcomed to tier match into the British Airways Executive Club until 31 December 2012."

My year ends on 9th November. Should I assume from this that I will retain Silver until 31st December now? In which case, I can delay my match to extend my BA Silver.
Old Sep 28, 12, 8:00 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
I've added the Q&A section from the BA website to the header.

/mod
Old Sep 28, 12, 8:07 am

Programs: BA GGL
Here's a good one from the FAQs.

Q: As a Diamond Club member, can I continue to use my Gold/Silver membership card to access Lounges?

A: The normal refund policy will apply for any cancelled award bookings. You will receive a full refund of any miles and cash paid for the booking. Any refund of destinations miles will be made into your Diamond Club account.
Old Sep 28, 12, 8:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by vindaloo View Post
Here's a good one from the FAQs.

Q: As a Diamond Club member, can I continue to use my Gold/Silver membership card to access Lounges?

A: The normal refund policy will apply for any cancelled award bookings. You will receive a full refund of any miles and cash paid for the booking. Any refund of destinations miles will be made into your Diamond Club account.
That's our British Midland Airways
Old Sep 28, 12, 8:48 am

Programs: BA Gold, TK*G, EI Elite
Originally Posted by Raffles View Post

"In addition, please note that Diamond Club membership are no longer awarded Status Miles or allocated membership status. Existing Diamond Club Gold & Silver members are being welcomed to tier match into the British Airways Executive Club until 31 December 2012."

My year ends on 9th November. Should I assume from this that I will retain Silver until 31st December now? In which case, I can delay my match to extend my BA Silver.
You can never be sure but they're not going to exert much effort dicking around with status downgrades, new cards and such like after 27/10/12 just for two months when they will just become a windscreen scraper. Then again, it's only the website address that's changing. All the old algorithms will still be there...
Old Sep 28, 12, 9:06 am

Programs: F
Originally Posted by FlyingOnceMore View Post
Then again, it's only the website address that's changing. All the old algorithms will still be there...
And how we shall miss those algorithms when they finally go to /dev/null ....
Old Sep 28, 12, 9:09 am

Programs: BA, *A, Hertz Goldstar, Mucci wannabee, Waitrose, safari Oleg
Originally Posted by bariummeal View Post
Hmmm I think the key word in your comment is "credit card earning route". In the sense of every BMI credit card still in operations is probably earning for BMI's new owners (IAG/BA) too...

I am sure they will re-brand in the future, or possibly re-negotiate a replacement contract with MBNA or someone else, or a rollover offer to one of the cards currently branded by BA. But it looks like the new owners of BMI are not going to give up the commissions they presumably earn on the BMI-branded MBNA credit card meanwhile...!
Old Sep 28, 12, 9:14 am

Programs: BA, *A, Hertz Goldstar, Mucci wannabee, Waitrose, safari Oleg
Originally Posted by Raffles View Post

IIRC your BMI membership year would end on 9th November. So you should request a match by then at the latest. So far as I am aware, the extra 6 weeks on the card was only to facilitate benefits like lounge access while the card for the following year was in the process of arriving.

I wouldn't like to see you be refused a status match by BA because your status on BA had technically expired on 9th November if you apply for the match after that! I think a couple of people reported on FT they were declined or matched at the lower level applying to their 'new' year with BMI.

Search this Thread