Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > bmi | Diamond Club
Reload this Page >

Which BD cash-in benefit to use: BAEC-G or AC eUpgrade?

Old Sep 19, 12, 3:57 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold; Hilton Diamond;a miscellany of other hotel non-statuses

I'm not travelling much nowdays but am looking forwards to having the BD status-match benefits to use when I do: AC *G to Feb 2013, BAEC Gold until mid-2014, and A3 *G to end-2015 .

My first challenge is to figure out for an upcoming TATL trip whether to book a non-stop BA flight, or an indirect route on AC. The purchased fare will be Y.

Earning status credits with any airline is not relevant for now.

I have no idea what upgrade chances are for a newly minted BA Gold who has not flown with them for 5 years or so: WT to WT+ maybe? CW unlikely?

But I expect to be able to use the AC eUpgrade certs to ge into Executive First.

I doubt I'll do enough *A flying to make crediting to Aeroplan or M+B worthwhile.

Conversely I expect Avios to be my main earn/burn currency from now on, so taking BA would be a useful addition to the pot.

So the two reliable benefits to play off against each other are BA Avios earning versus AC J upgrade, with a random element of possible BA upgrade.

What would you do?
Old Sep 19, 12, 4:16 pm

Programs: BD*G, A3*G, BAG/OWE, Accor Gold
Why do you collect the BA Avois? Presumable so that someday you have enough for an upgrade or out-right redemption booking? You won't get enough points in one trip to do that I would have though. With that in mind, doesn't it make more sense to just go with AC for now and gain the definitive eUpgrade?

Save your possible BA upgrade for a future chance.
Old Sep 19, 12, 4:45 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jbfield View Post
Why do you collect the BA Avois? Presumable so that someday you have enough for an upgrade or out-right redemption booking? You won't get enough points in one trip to do that I would have though. With that in mind, doesn't it make more sense to just go with AC for now and gain the definitive eUpgrade?

My initial thinking is the same on those grounds. Unless someone comes along and tells me a BA upgrade is pretty likely.

But the thing I accidentally missed out which may still swing it to BA is that the return AC schedule is less friendly. It either cuts a couple more of hours off the end of the business day to get back to UK at a similar time as the BA flight, or means getting something the next day and being 9 hours later into LHR so effectively missing the whole of that day .
Old Sep 20, 12, 1:33 am

Your options look like:

Direct (BA) vs indirect (AC)
No upgrade (BA) vs Confirmed upgrade (AC)

Difficult, but since you will be in Y on BA, I would take AC. This swings it for me - I don't do longhaul economy.

A 'free' upgrade on BA is unlikely. Don't count your chickens and all that.
Old Sep 20, 12, 2:36 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by jbfield View Post

Disagree. A RT TATL trip in BA economy for a gold will earn 14-23k depending on destination. That is plenty miles for a nice European saver redemption which generally have great availability for Golds. I find these great value for certain destinations where fares are high. There are other good long haul uses for Avios as well (as well as lots of bad ones) you just have to use them wisely.

With AC you will get a bunch of orphaned miles that you will never be able to use. That said if the AC upgrade is pretty much guaranteed (have no clue how that works) then it would always be better to fly biz than economy. It really depends what the terms of an AC upgrade are for me. Can you do it from cheap economy tickets or only from high fare economy tickets?
Old Sep 20, 12, 5:16 am

Programs: BA, *A, Hertz Goldstar, Mucci wannabee, Waitrose, safari Oleg
I did not find AC too bad in Y. Are your flights day flights? Even more bearable on AC, if so, and if you can find a use on some *A program for the miles. However as you say you do not expect accruing *A miles to result in anything worth it for you, why not at least accrue some Avios that you say you will use in the future even if you are not needing the BA TP's right now.

On the other hand, on some airlines (SQ, CX, LX etc.) with notably excellent Business Class, my answer might have been go for the experience and forget the Avios, and try hard to find a use for the *A miles perhaps on a program you haven't joined yet if there is one you can use the miles on in a way that suits you.

Last edited by h15t0r1an; Sep 20, 12 at 5:23 am
Old Sep 20, 12, 6:05 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Jetstreamer View Post
...if the AC upgrade is pretty much guaranteed (have no clue how that works)...
Well AIUI form reading this pretty much any class can be upgraded, but Y and B buckets allow you to get in early (ie find a flight with upgrade availability, then book and upgrade in one hit) whereas the others you have to hope their will still be availability 4 days out.

To do the cabin hop you use eUpgrade credits, which are one of the things you can choose from a menu of options for AC elite benefits. If I don't use them on these flights I think they might be headed to Coupon Connect!

I quite like AC EF, so it is tempting...
Old Sep 20, 12, 6:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, BA Silver, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by EsherFlyer View Post
To do the cabin hop you use eUpgrade credits, which are one of the things you can choose from a menu of options for AC elite benefits. If I don't use them on these flights I think they might be headed to Coupon Connect!

I quite like AC EF, so it is tempting...
I thought AC made these coupons non-transferrable a few years back?

In your shoes I'd go with the AC flight assuming you can confirm the u/g at time of booking.
Old Sep 20, 12, 6:50 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Swiss Tony View Post
I thought AC made these coupons non-transferrable a few years back?
AIUI I can nominate two other Aeroplan members that I will upgrade, but they can't be on some other members list as well.

If that's contrary to the rules I won't be doing it.
Old Sep 20, 12, 12:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC/IB
With you being BA Gold I would go the direct route....you'll earn a tidy some of Avios and your status will help you pick a decent seat in Y with plenty of leg room. At least one way is during the day so not exactly a tortuous journey.
Getting upgraded is very much route dependant but the way BA are filling up their aircraft down the back your chances are better than they used to be.....always a gamble though and seems to happen more when travelling in WT+.
I suppose it all boils down to the convenience of flying direct over guaranteed comfort and whether you need the Avios or not.

Search this Thread