Any reasons not to move over to Avios?

Old Sep 18, 12, 4:08 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Programs: BD
Posts: 230
Any reasons not to move over to Avios?

Are there any good reasons not to transfer/convert my miles to Avios?

(I can't see myself spending miles on any of the remaining BMI routes)
tourcd is offline  
Old Sep 18, 12, 5:14 am
  #2  
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: London, England
Programs: BA Silver
Posts: 3,724
Originally Posted by tourcd View Post
Are there any good reasons not to transfer/convert my miles to Avios?

(I can't see myself spending miles on any of the remaining BMI routes)
No reason at all. Transfer!
Jetstreamer is offline  
Old Sep 18, 12, 5:24 am
  #3  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: London
Programs: BA, EK, IHG, SPG
Posts: 25,569
Reasons to hold on there!

http://headforpoints.com/2012/09/06/...mond-clu-uses/

Although Qatar is now off on 27th October
Raffles is offline  
Old Sep 18, 12, 5:27 am
  #4  
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: BHD/DUB
Programs: BA Gold, TK*G, EI Elite
Posts: 7,623
Reasons? Unless you wan to fly QR or 9W on an award or, let me think about that for a sec..... No, can't think of anything else.
FlyingOnceMore is offline  
Old Sep 18, 12, 5:44 am
  #5  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Programs: BD
Posts: 230
Can I transfer more than once? I'm still earning miles on my BMI MasterCard.
tourcd is offline  
Old Sep 18, 12, 5:46 am
  #6  
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Bucks
Programs: BAEC Gold, A3*G
Posts: 291
Yes, as many times as you need.
CheeseToastie is offline  
Old Sep 18, 12, 5:48 am
  #7  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: London
Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Posts: 35,911
Originally Posted by tourcd View Post
Can I transfer more than once? I'm still earning miles on my BMI MasterCard.
Yes, but you can't transfer back.

So if you have no need for the Avios, I can't see any reason to make a transfer at the present time. That keeps open your options (such as they are). Once you transfer, you have irrevocably shut the door.

Banking a bigger Avios balance that you're not going to use straight away achieves absolutely nothing.
Globaliser is offline  
Old Sep 18, 12, 6:12 am
  #8  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Programs: BD
Posts: 230
Originally Posted by Globaliser View Post
That keeps open your options (such as they are).
They do have a T&C which means they can withdraw the facility at any time. I guess that's unlikely. However, if they do would they give notice?
tourcd is offline  
Old Sep 18, 12, 6:18 am
  #9  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: London
Programs: BA, EK, IHG, SPG
Posts: 25,569
Originally Posted by tourcd View Post
They do have a T&C which means they can withdraw the facility at any time. I guess that's unlikely. However, if they do would they give notice?
They won't withdraw it whilst the credit card still exists, for a start.

Personally, once Qatar has gone I will move mine as I can't see any scenario when I would need a Jet or Transaero redemption. And I assume those partnerships have also had notice served by BA as well,
Raffles is offline  
Old Sep 18, 12, 9:23 am
  #10  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: London
Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Posts: 35,911
Originally Posted by tourcd View Post
However, if they do would they give notice?
Yes, of course they will. It would be politically impossible not to.
Globaliser is offline  
Old Sep 18, 12, 9:58 am
  #11  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Mostly UK
Programs: Mucci Extraordinaire, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold (ex BD)
Posts: 10,662
I've also been offered 20% bonus for transferring Amex membership rewards into BA. With the demise of bmi the only airline partner I collect with is BA and so I think the 20% offer is worth taking.

Raffles - as an expert on these things, do you think the 20% bonus is worth taking?

If I combine my bmi balance, Amex MR and BA balances I will go above a million Avios, I'm also likely to hit gold by the end of the year, so next year will be a good one to spend all these miles knowing I'll get a soft landing to silver.

My worry is as my Avios balance will more than treble, would that set off alarms and cause a review of my account? I've not done anything wrong, all the Amex points are from legitimate spend, the bmi ones a combination of flying BD/*A, Hilton and more recently their credit card. But I don't like the thought of triggering an audit like has happened to some others.

Of course I'll be moving my bmi miles over regardless, so it's more the Amex points I'm worried about triggering something, but I don't want to miss out on the 20% bonus if it's considered a good deal.
layz is offline  
Old Sep 18, 12, 10:21 am
  #12  
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: London
Posts: 3,459
Originally Posted by layz View Post
I've also been offered 20% bonus for transferring Amex membership rewards into BA. With the demise of bmi the only airline partner I collect with is BA and so I think the 20% offer is worth taking.

Raffles - as an expert on these things, do you think the 20% bonus is worth taking?

If I combine my bmi balance, Amex MR and BA balances I will go above a million Avios, I'm also likely to hit gold by the end of the year, so next year will be a good one to spend all these miles knowing I'll get a soft landing to silver.

My worry is as my Avios balance will more than treble, would that set off alarms and cause a review of my account? I've not done anything wrong, all the Amex points are from legitimate spend, the bmi ones a combination of flying BD/*A, Hilton and more recently their credit card. But I don't like the thought of triggering an audit like has happened to some others.

Of course I'll be moving my bmi miles over regardless, so it's more the Amex points I'm worried about triggering something, but I don't want to miss out on the 20% bonus if it's considered a good deal.
There is currently a 40% bonus for MR to Avios (see the thread in the BA forum) and in the past there has been a 100% bonus. So unless you need the Avios, and it sounds as if you don't, I would keep the MRs at the moment. They offer more flexibility, you may get a better bonus offer next year, and Avios award avilabiltiy is poor.
Disco Volante is offline  
Old Sep 18, 12, 10:50 am
  #13  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: London
Programs: BA, EK, IHG, SPG
Posts: 25,569
Keep them in MR. To be honest, without a transfer bonus I think some of the hotel transfers currently offer better value than airlines. 17k Amex MR gets you 51k Carlson, for eg, which is their top redemption category so well over 1p per MR point of value. Even Amex to Hilton, redeemed properly, will get you 1p+ of value.

I don't value Avios at 1p, although admittedly it comes down to your personal redemption preferences (long-haul vs short, class of service, using a 2-4-1? etc).
Raffles is offline  
Old Sep 18, 12, 10:56 am
  #14  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Mostly UK
Programs: Mucci Extraordinaire, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold (ex BD)
Posts: 10,662
Originally Posted by Disco Volante View Post
There is currently a 40% bonus for MR to Avios (see the thread in the BA forum) and in the past there has been a 100% bonus. So unless you need the Avios, and it sounds as if you don't, I would keep the MRs at the moment. They offer more flexibility, you may get a better bonus offer next year, and Avios award avilabiltiy is poor.
My mistake I meant 40%. Reading the BA thread mentions a 100% bonus at one time but I recall that was near the beginning of when BA became a MR partner.

So if people think 40% will be bettered in the future I will wait. If people think 40% is as good as it gets then I might just transfer all my points out so I can close my Amex Plat without needing to open up another MR earning card first to store the points.

I'm not sure if I want to close my plat card. Need to put a value on the benefits. I was happy enough with the card at the 300 level then they change the insurance and put up the fee.
layz is offline  
Old Sep 18, 12, 11:01 am
  #15  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Mostly UK
Programs: Mucci Extraordinaire, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold (ex BD)
Posts: 10,662
Originally Posted by Raffles View Post
Keep them in MR. To be honest, without a transfer bonus I think some of the hotel transfers currently offer better value than airlines. 17k Amex MR gets you 51k Carlson, for eg, which is their top redemption category so well over 1p per MR point of value. Even Amex to Hilton, redeemed properly, will get you 1p+ of value.

I don't value Avios at 1p, although admittedly it comes down to your personal redemption preferences (long-haul vs short, class of service, using a 2-4-1? etc).
I'll take a look at these hotel options. I'm a bit points light in every chain except IHG although my Hilton balance is creeping up as I've started using them a lot when I discovered the 1000 miles a night earnings rate on bmi.

I also believe Hilton reward nights count towards status but I better check this one.

I don't think IHG is a partner any more but last I looked their conversion rates had turned poor anyway.
layz is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread