BMI to Berlin

Old Aug 30, 12, 2:16 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Executive Club, Skywards
BMI to Berlin

Hi guys

I am looking to book flight to Berlin for Sep, but I can buy tickets through travel sites like lastminute etc for BMI, but on the BMI website the flights to Berlin don't exist.

Do these flights actually exist?

Thanks
Old Aug 30, 12, 2:19 pm

Do these flights actually exist?
bmi operate flights to Berlin on behalf of Lufthansa. So you'll have to go to the Lufthansa website to book these flights.
Old Aug 31, 12, 12:15 pm

Berlin

Yes, the Lufthansa website.
Flew these flights last month, they're really good, much better than LH Europe, you get BMI crew, catering and in flight service. Tegel checkin is LH but funny enough they print the BMI 'codeshare'.
Old Sep 1, 12, 1:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton IHG LH BA TK
I used the BMI-operated operated Lufthansa routes from/to BHX quite a lot. So, so, so much better than the LH service: the difference was quite stark.

Clearly, BMI had to go !
Old Sep 1, 12, 4:20 am

Programs: None
I had my stag weekend in Berlin and all 20 of us did this flight from LHR. It really was a great flight, free food, free booze, everyone had a great time...and the best bit was it was 18 cheaper then easyjet from Stansted.....no wonder BMI were not making a profit as our group cleaned out the on-board bar!!!! ha!
Old Sep 1, 12, 3:11 pm

Programs: A3 gld, BA bron, KL silv, 6C plat, EH silv, EM, GT, HY, NH, NS, RT, SH, SW gold, BW, WY
I don't know what the bmi flights operated on behalf of LH are like but last year I had the misfortune to fly bmi on their own flights to Berlin and they took first and second place in the ranking of the worst flights I've ever taken on any airline and that was in Business Class! If I were you, I'd book a BA operated flight.
Old Sep 2, 12, 4:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci Extraordinaire, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold (ex BD)
Originally Posted by lhr baby View Post
I don't know what the bmi flights operated on behalf of LH are like but last year I had the misfortune to fly bmi on their own flights to Berlin and they took first and second place in the ranking of the worst flights I've ever taken on any airline and that was in Business Class! If I were you, I'd book a BA operated flight.
Can you say what exactly was so bad?
Old Sep 2, 12, 10:24 pm

Programs: BA Silver
I fly to Berlin Monthly, used BD business twice and they were great. The meal beat the BA salad hands down, Lounge was great, overall nice flights.
Old Sep 3, 12, 1:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton IHG LH BA TK
This isn't like the BA forum with knee-jerk outrage at criticism of the airline.

But I think your extreme comments will puzzle some readers: could you expand?
Old Sep 13, 12, 5:06 am
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Location: UK - the nearest airport is named after a motorway !
hijacking this post...

Need to go to Berlin next week, and BA only offering full J @ 660 one-way

Seems like the 'LH flight operated by bmi' is still available under the BD codeshare:
- can I earn miles (either BD or BA, or even LH/UA) on this flight?
- do I have any chance at all of getting into the lounge at T1 using either BD or BA silver (or even Amex Plat)?
- is this the most complicated arrangement left in aviation?

ta
Old Sep 13, 12, 5:46 am
Senior Mod and Moderator: Aegean Miles&Bonus and British Airways

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Spire
Originally Posted by Stewie Mac View Post
Need to go to Berlin next week, and BA only offering full J @ 660 one-way

Seems like the 'LH flight operated by bmi' is still available under the BD codeshare:
- can I earn miles (either BD or BA, or even LH/UA) on this flight?
- do I have any chance at all of getting into the lounge at T1 using either BD or BA silver (or even Amex Plat)?
- is this the most complicated arrangement left in aviation?

ta
Miles only with a *A programme - this is a LH flight now.
No lounge access with a BD/BA card (and *A lounge only for J). I don't have an Amex Plat, so I couldn't tell you on that one
The MAN-NWI flight is "FlyBe flight operated by Suckling Airways for Loganair" according to jamesbrownontheroad, so I think that trumps you
Old Sep 13, 12, 6:32 am

thanks, but

*is* it actually an LH flight? I looked at the same flight on lufthansa.com and not only was it 7 more than the BD fare on expedia, but it was also listed as ineligible for M&M mileage...

and I personally think the self-referential nature of BD3131 'operated by: /BMI for LUFTHANSA', trumps jamesbrownontheroad's list of obscure UK airlines
Old Sep 13, 12, 7:16 am

Programs: BA Gold, TK*G, EI Elite
It is an LH flight, just as if it was LH metal, and that question gets asked.... uhhh.... a lot! It has been for nearly 10 months. As ever, the fare class dictates the miles but, posted to M&M, there's no fare class that doesn't earn something on a fixed mileage basis; 125 in cheapo (or not so cheapo) Y to 2000 in C plus any status bonus each way.
Old Sep 13, 12, 8:16 am

Originally Posted by FlyingOnceMore View Post
It is an LH flight, just as if it was LH metal, and that question gets asked.... uhhh.... a lot! It has been for nearly 10 months. As ever, the fare class dictates the miles but, posted to M&M, there's no fare class that doesn't earn something on a fixed mileage basis; 125 in cheapo (or not so cheapo) Y to 2000 in C plus any status bonus each way.
But on checking the mileage calculator on lufthansa.com for that flight, I get:

Originally Posted by lufthansa.com
The miles for one or more of the airlines you specified could not be used. You can only use the mileage accrued for flights serviced by Adria Airways, Austrian Airlines Group, Brussels Airlines, Condor, Croatia Airlines, Germanwings, LOT Polish Airlines, Lufthansa, Luxair or SWISS. To learn more about earning miles with our airline partners, visit Earn miles > Flights at www.miles-and-more.com.

You will receive the following miles for the trip you specified:

Mileage accrual 0
Status miles 0
And looking on miles-and-more, I see:
Originally Posted by miles-and-more
Earn miles when you fly
You can earn miles on all scheduled flights operated by Lufthansa.
So is that wrong? If I'd bought the LH code, would I get M&M miles? Do I get them on the BD coded flight?

and bonus question - why do I care, anyway?
Old Sep 13, 12, 4:51 pm

Programs: Mucci, BMI*G, M&M SEN, FB Gold, PC Plat, Father of GhettoIFE
On a BHX-FRA leg on an LH wet leased flight (BMI operating), I got my 125 miles and wonderful Senator bonus too.

So depending on your fare code, you should get some miles. Or not (if you're on an LH ultracheap fare and trying to crediting it to another programme)

Search this Thread