Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > bmi | Diamond Club
Reload this Page >

canceling a Star Alliance booking. is it still possible?

Old Aug 29, 12, 7:35 pm
Original Poster

Programs: bmi silver, delta gold

So, a few months back, in a flurry to use up my remaining bmi miles before the merge, I booked an award ticket from SFO to New Orleans on United for Labor Day wknd.

with Hurricane Isaac wreaking havoc on the gulf, i want to stay home. United has canceled flights for tomorrow. my flight for friday isn't canceled yet. if a United flight is canceled outright, then they are offering rebooks, or refunds. if a flight isn't canceled, they are allowing reschedules, provided you pay the fare difference.

my worry is that since i'm on a bmi award, united will just tell me to call bmi regardless. but according to bmi, all changes to SA awards needed to happen before may 31st.

so before i stay up til midnight (west coast time) to call bmi, i'm wondering if anyone has had luck canceling bmi awards on Star Alliance carriers after may 31st.

i have this feeling i'm going to be out 30k miles. at the very least, i'd love to get bmi's highway robbery taxes back.

any thoughts?
Old Aug 30, 12, 12:14 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium Lifetime, BA Gold, Ex-Hertz 5* PC, Ex-HH Diamond, Ex-BD*G
At a minimum you can expect back your miles (which can be moved to BA) and taxes, that was always the bmi "right" on payment of a 25 cancellation fee and is unchanged by the 31st May deadline. However you won't be able to change the flight unless United does it for you, see this thread for more details:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/bmi-d...ay-2012-a.html
Old Aug 30, 12, 12:25 am
Original Poster

Programs: bmi silver, delta gold
how late can a bmi award be cancelled.

thanks, littlevoices.

do you happen to know if a bmi award cancellation needs to happen 24 hours in advance of the flight? i looked here, and on the bmi site and couldn't find a definitive answer. there's a decent chance my United flight will be canceled tomorrow, and i'm thinking i'd have a better shot at getting the 25 pound fee waived if United actually cancels my flight. but if i wait, and united doesn't cancel my flight, do i run the risk of being too late for a bmi cancellation?
Old Aug 30, 12, 1:40 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium Lifetime, BA Gold, Ex-Hertz 5* PC, Ex-HH Diamond, Ex-BD*G
The limit is a few minutes in advance (don't online checkin), but that does rely on the BMI call centre being open. If you search the forum you may find previous examples of people cancelling close to the deadline.

People used to cancel using the Lufthansa website but I'm not sure if I'd have trusted that - this isn't an option anymore anyway.

So potentially nothing to lose by waiting another 24hours, as long as the call centre is going to be open.

Search this Thread