Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > bmi | Diamond Club
Reload this Page >

Questions from BD transferees about BA Executive Club and Avios

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23, 2012, 10:04 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy
Original Poster

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...

Ask a simple question about BAEC and Avios.

Please post any questions, and knowledgeable answers, about BAEC and Avios here. We'll compile and summarise into a header sticky.

Oxon Flyer
bmi forum Mod team

Last edited by Oxon Flyer; Apr 23, 2012 at 10:33 am
Old Apr 23, 2012, 10:04 am
Original Poster

Start with :

1) Q: How do I book a Avios stopover? A: Avios doesn't have stopovers.

2) Q: What is like an eGUV in BAEC?

3) Q: Can I mix OW carriers in a redemption?

4) Q: What is like ANA for OW?
Old Apr 23, 2012, 10:32 am
Moderator, Turkish Airlines Miles&Smiles & Accor ALL
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: TK*G, Accor ALL Platinum
Q: Can I mix partner carriers (such as EI ex-DUB) with OW carriers in a redemption?

Q: Does BAEC Gold give me access to EI lounges?
Old Apr 23, 2012, 11:48 am

Programs: BD*G, A3*G, BA-S, Accor Gold, IHG Amb
Will existing number of years as a BD Gold be considered if BA introduce any future LifeTime membership, or will I be seen as starting from zero? -> Is there even a lifetime Gold benefit?

What's the actual difference between OW First Lounges (Gold member entry) and OW Business Lounges (Silver Member Entry)? -> what's the general order of basic to nicest?

What's the difference between, Terrace Lounges, Galleries Lounges, First Lounges and Elmis Spa?

Last edited by jbfield; Apr 23, 2012 at 12:12 pm
Old Apr 23, 2012, 12:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Answers

Avios doesn't have stopovers as everything is priced on a point to point basis

The nearest EC has to an eGUV is a Gold Upgrade for Two (GUF2, GUV2). Only earned at 2500 and 3500 TP's one of these offers a round trip one class upgrade for 2 people, booking into award space unless you can find a preferred travel agent.

You can mix OW carriers, but having 2 or more incurs the rather expensive multi-partner award chart.

ba.com has acceptable partner availability, but only point to point . Useless with non-BA connecting itins.

No idea about mixing EI with partner airlines, but can't see why not subject to the proviso above.

BA Gold gets you access to certain EI lounges - LHR, DUB being the two I can think of. There is a detailed thread on BA somewhere about this.

There are rumours about BA starting lifetime recognition. I suspect it will be done a TP earned or commercial value basis rather than time.

First lounges are generally quieter, with better booze, food and amenities. Is there a big difference? In some places yes - especially at OW member hubs - elsewhere no. IME OW lounges are generally a higher standard that *A.

Terraces and Galleries are the old and new brands of BA business lounges. Galleries First is the First lounge (except at LHR and JFK where there is a Concorde Room for proper paying F pax and those holding Premier or Concorde Room cards). Elemis spa is just that - free spa treatments for Golds travelling long haul and First/Club passengers.
Old Apr 23, 2012, 12:55 pm

Programs: Priority Club, TAM Fidelidade, BAEC, Marriott Rewards
Originally Posted by Oxon Flyer
1) Q: How do I book a Avios stopover? A: Avios doesn't have stopovers.
I think it's not exactly correct. Award flights are priced by segments, so the prices for
AAA - BBB - CCC and AAA-BBB (stop) BBB-CCC will be the same. However, you cannot book it online, unless you fly BA and the stop is in London.
Old Apr 23, 2012, 1:10 pm
Original Poster

What are BA like when it comes to admitting one or two children to lounges in addition to Gold card holder's one permitted guest ?
Old Apr 23, 2012, 1:18 pm

Programs: BA Silver, Hilton Diamond, BD Blue (RIP)
What are BA like when it comes to admitting one or two children to lounges in addition to Gold card holder's one permitted guest ?
Never tried it myself but the impression that I get from the BA board is that they're not terribly keen on it. Last summer it appears BA sent a message round their lounge staff reminding them to enforce the correct number of guests.
Old Apr 23, 2012, 1:20 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver; Hilton Diamond;a miscellany of other hotel non-statuses
Originally Posted by neuromancer
I think it's not exactly correct. Award flights are priced by segments, so the prices for
AAA - BBB - CCC and AAA-BBB (stop) BBB-CCC will be the same. However, you cannot book it online, unless you fly BA and the stop is in London.
So worth battling this through and apologies if I'm missing the obvious. Picking up on your example...

On DC AAA-BBB(stop)-CCC would cost the same as AAA-CCC (except for airport fees and taxes for landing/departure at BBB).

If the first part of your example is to be read as AAA-BBB(transit)-CCC and is the same cost as AAA-BBB(stop)-CCC then that seems to even further limit fun with routings .
Old Apr 23, 2012, 1:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by EsherFlyer
So worth battling this through and apologies if I'm missing the obvious. Picking up on your example...

On DC AAA-BBB(stop)-CCC would cost the same as AAA-CCC (except for airport fees and taxes for landing/departure at BBB).

If the first part of your example is to be read as AAA-BBB(transit)-CCC and is the same cost as AAA-BBB(stop)-CCC then that seems to even further limit fun with routings .
Correct. EC used to be very liberal with unlimited free stopovers. That has now changed

Exceptionally you might get away with this. Otherwise the rule is - if they need a seat on the plane they are a guest. Note that GGL (Gold Guest List, 5000 TP in 1 year, 3000 for 2 consecutive years) gets 2 guests in BA run lounges.
Old Apr 23, 2012, 1:58 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

Pretty strict. However, BA does not consider an infant (aged under two years at the time of travel) as a guest
Old Apr 23, 2012, 2:00 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver; Hilton Diamond;a miscellany of other hotel non-statuses
Originally Posted by Prospero
...BA does not consider an infant (aged under two years at the time of travel) as a guest
Very few do. Especially in the row in front of you.
Old Apr 23, 2012, 2:02 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

re. stopovers. Swanhunter is quite correct however there are a few exceptions.

Free stopovers are permitted on domestic flights within the UK and mainland Spain.
Old Apr 23, 2012, 2:08 pm

Programs: BA Silver, Hilton Diamond, BD Blue (RIP)
Originally Posted by Prospero
re. stopovers. Swanhunter is quite correct however there are a few exceptions.

Free stopovers are permitted on domestic flights within the UK and mainland Spain.
Which means you can do nifty things like booking a one way flight with cash to EDI returning with miles, taking a very long stopover then having a daytrip to somewhere in France and (if you want it) another flight back to EDI after a long stopover all for just 9,000 miles + £27. Terrific value!
Old Apr 23, 2012, 2:13 pm

And stopovers are free in London when you start a Reward Saver flight from a regional airport.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.