Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > bmi | Diamond Club
Reload this Page >

DC Partner: Migrating credit card spend - AMEX BA or Gold?

DC Partner: Migrating credit card spend - AMEX BA or Gold?

Old Jul 11, 12, 4:50 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA OW Silver, Aegean *A Gold, Intercon Ambassador Gold, EY Gold
Migrating credit card spend - AMEX BA or Gold?

The gradual migration continues - I am now Gold on BA and Aegean, redeemed most of my points (Thai/Jet airways 1st suites in a couple of weeks!).

What about credit cards? I shut down my BMI AMEX 8 months ago and took out the AMEX Gold Charge - I have about 140k on it now. I have now also taken out the BA Premier AMEX - just arrived today.

I am in a quandry - to hit the 10k on the BA AMEX to trigger 241 I need to maximise its use, and therefore I should really close down the Gold card.

However, I don't want to pump the 140k MR points anywhere yet - I will wait for a 30% extra deal from BA or Virgin. But on the other hand I don't really want to pay the 125 to renew Gold if I am not going to use it.

Any views? - I presume several are in the same boat.
Old Jul 11, 12, 5:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Its a tricky one, as Amex no longer seems to issue the Green card.

Here is one option. Refer your partner or parents for a Gold card, assuming they have no other Amex-issued Amex's. You bank (between you) 34,000 bonus points and your partners card is fee-free in Year 1. Then, and here is the clever bit, pay 15 to Amex to transfer your MR points to your partner.

Your MR account is them empty and if there is a transfer bonus your partner will be able to take advantage. You can then cancel your Gold.

In a years time, you could also open another Gold card next year and transfer the points back.

More on the 15 transfer deal here - http://headforpoints.com/2012/07/08/...ards-features/

Search this Thread
Search Engine: