Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > bmi | Diamond Club
Reload this Page >

BMI/BA GDS Integration Process to Commence (BA policies apply, flts only sold by BA)

BMI/BA GDS Integration Process to Commence (BA policies apply, flts only sold by BA)

Old May 7, 2012, 4:04 am
Moderator, Turkish Airlines Miles&Smiles & Accor ALL
Original Poster
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: TK*G, Accor ALL Platinum

On ITTN:
Following the completion of the purchase of BMI on 20th April, British Airways is planning to integrate BMI Mainline into its operations. The integration is likely to be a phased process, beginning on 23rd May. On this date, a number of BMI routes will transfer to British Airways inventory control, using BA prime flight numbers.

The airlines will begin the process of moving BMI bookings into British Airways’ systems. This process will begin on 10th May when these changes will be actioned in British Airways’ and BMI’s respective inventory systems.

In line with normal re-accommodation process, agents will receive a cancellation message from BMI, via the GDS, relating to the original BMI flight. The BMI flight code and number will change to a BA code and number. The flight will operate to the same schedule.

Agents with such bookings will be responsible for advising their customers of the changes and the corresponding re-issue of tickets.

British Airways requires that the e-ticket coupon and corresponding flight reservation match, which means that tickets will need to be re-issued on an involuntary reroute basis. Specific ticket re-issue instructions will follow. All tickets must be re-issued before a customer can travel. Failure to re-issue a ticket may result in customers not being able to travel.

British Airways plans to operate BMI’s summer schedule and is not making any changes to the flight schedule as part of the re-accommodation process.
Old May 7, 2012, 12:04 pm

Programs: BA, *A, Hertz Goldstar, Mucci wannabee, Waitrose, safari Oleg
So, is this saying that tickets already issued for those BD routes BA is keeping will be re-issued on BA ticket stock?

Does it follow that in the event of later changes, cancellations, operational issues unresolved by operating airline etc., backstop will be BA?

And does it follow that if, for example, there is not already, or soon a BA flight number alongside the BD number for a flight, we can conclude that BA has not, or not yet, decided it will take on the flight/destination after completion of current (summer) schedule?
Old May 7, 2012, 12:11 pm
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
So if tickets aren't issued on BD stock, does this mean that eGUV's can also no longer be applied?
Old May 7, 2012, 12:13 pm

Originally Posted by h15t0r1an
So, is this saying that tickets already issued for those BD routes BA is keeping will be re-issued on BA ticket stock?

?
Yes a HX will be generated in the GDS for the BD flight number then a KL or KK will show with the new BA flight number and all tickets will need to be re issued.

Last edited by DELLAS; May 7, 2012 at 12:22 pm
Old May 8, 2012, 5:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci Extraordinaire, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold (ex BD)
Does this mean the BD code will disappear for bmi mainline bookings? Presumably it'll stay for BMR routes that BA don't intend to take on though?
Old May 8, 2012, 5:43 pm

Programs: BA, *A, Hertz Goldstar, Mucci wannabee, Waitrose, safari Oleg
Originally Posted by layz
Does this mean the BD code will disappear for bmi mainline bookings? Presumably it'll stay for BMR routes that BA don't intend to take on though?
Yes, but a little work checking out which BD routes have already been assigned a parallel BA flight number, as IIRC I saw in a post on another thread last month, could prove useful...

For example, wondering to what extent we might see /not see BA flight numbers assigned to BD regional routes?

And if we think this forward...
Old May 9, 2012, 5:15 am

Programs: BA bronze card, NHS Blood Donor silver card
For those of us who are a little less au fait with how airline ticketing works...

I have a booking, made with BMI, on a BD flight, on 236 ticket stock. Am I right in thinking that it'll be cancelled and reissued on a BA flight number (perhaps one which will still have the original BD flight number attached a a codeshare) on 125 stock, but with the same locator?

How about what will happen to a BMI redemption booking, on 236 ticket stock, on a *A airline? Will this also be reticketed on 125 stock?

Last edited by teflon; May 9, 2012 at 6:02 am Reason: correcting BA ticket stock number
Old May 9, 2012, 5:50 am

As part of this process, web partners have just been notified that:

Effective 10th of May all bmi mainline routes will be sold exclusively on ba.com
Thus it would seem that flybmi.com will only be selling Regional flights from tomorrow.
Old May 9, 2012, 6:27 am

Programs: BA Silver
Will be interesting with award bookings that contain BD and LH group sectors ...
Old May 9, 2012, 6:29 am

Programs: BA Gold (and other non-status plastic)
So, if I book a BD flight in Y, and the flight becomes a BA flight (before the end of the summer season, when we were told that bmi would be operating a full schedule), will I still be able to use my eGUV and get Gold bonus miles in DC? i.e. should I shell out more to fly bmi to NCE later in the summer, in the hope that I can use my eGUV, or will my flight and earning options be "enhanced"? (that's the term they use on the BA board isn't it? See - I'm practising...)

More generally, will bmi Ts&Cs apply or BA Ts&Cs? The way I see it, it's an invol re-route, with all the implications that brings

In general the BA FAQs are great, but again, the devil is in the detail, and the detail is as clear as mud...
Old May 9, 2012, 1:58 pm

Seems like an awful lot of work to me. If the actual routing is not changing, why cant the BD ticket not just be revalidated with the new BA flight number?
Old May 9, 2012, 5:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GAYOP
Seems like an awful lot of work to me. If the actual routing is not changing, why cant the BD ticket not just be revalidated with the new BA flight number?
Revalidation, a distinct operation from re-issue is a process that has been disappearing with paper tickets. Nowadays, any change normally triggers a ticket re-issue.

In addition, I would also suspect that there might be IT issues with the capacity of BA systems of handling non-BA issued tickets, hence the need for them to be re-issued as BA tickets if BA are going to work with them from tomorrow onwards.
Old May 10, 2012, 2:44 am
Moderator, Turkish Airlines Miles&Smiles & Accor ALL
Original Poster
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: TK*G, Accor ALL Platinum
bmi flights only to be sold on BA website

On BT:
BA has started the process of integrating Bmi into its London Heathrow operations.

The carrier says that from May 23, nine Bmi routes to Bergen, Basel, Nice, Vienna, Stavangar, Hanover, Agadir, Marrakech and Casablanca will move over to BA flight codes, with further routes set to switch over “in the coming weeks”.

Schedules will remain the same, and customers who have booked Bmi flights via flybmi.com will still be able to manage their booking via the website.

BA policies will apply to any Bmi flight which switches over to a BA code next week, and customers should check in for their flight at ba.com. The carrier says it will honour Bmi’s checked luggage allowance for any customers who booked prior to today (May 10).

BA also says that “From today all Bmi flights will also only be available for sale through British Airways, via ba.com or the airline’s call centres. Customers who have already booked a Bmi flight will still be able to service their booking via flybmi.com.”.....
Old May 10, 2012, 2:47 am

Programs: BA bronze
Originally Posted by continentalclub
As part of this process, web partners have just been notified that:
Effective 10th of May all bmi mainline routes will be sold exclusively on ba.com
Thus it would seem that flybmi.com will only be selling Regional flights from tomorrow.
It's now happened. I just tried to book an EDI-LHR flight on the bmi website but was automatically transferred to the BA website.
Old May 10, 2012, 2:48 am

Programs: BA Silver, Hilton Diamond, BD Blue (RIP)
Originally Posted by Alvador
It's now happened. I just tried to book an EDI-LHR flight on the bmi website but was automatically transferred to the BA website.
Well I guess that's the end of double miles for booking on flybmi.com with the bmi Amex. .

Sounds like a bit of a potential mess though. There will now be 'British Airways' flights to Basel and Nice departing from terminals 1 and 5 (some of which depart within minutes of each other) and Vienna flights from terminals 1 and 3. This could potentially lead to confusion particularly with 'bmi' flights booked through travel agents who may be less clear about what terminal flights leave from than ba.com.
Additionally the minimum check-in time for BA flights leaving terminal 1 is 45 minutes and fast-track is now available for business class passengers flying BA from terminal 1.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.