Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > bmi | Diamond Club
Reload this Page >

01Jun12 : bmi Regional sold to Sector Aviation Holdings; ends Diamond Club 30Sep12

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

01Jun12 : bmi Regional sold to Sector Aviation Holdings; ends Diamond Club 30Sep12

Search this Thread

Old May 8, 2013, 5:51 am

Location: in your favourite lounge, clearing the whole buffet
Programs: LH Maximizer of the year, BA Blue Label killer
There is a lot than still can be saved on BM without much effect to the passenger itself... Just think about the catering or the check-in process. Even a terminal change at some airports will save a lot.
Old May 8, 2013, 6:07 am

Programs: BAEC Silver,clubcard,clubcard plus, BA Amex................ And Mucci x3 ;)
It's actually nice to have mention of NQY on flyertalk

cs
Old May 8, 2013, 10:57 am

Programs: BA, Marriott, Hertz, Dennis The Menace Fan Club
This week I paid Ł429 to be on the CPH-EDI same flight as last week. I have seq#16 on my BP so almost twice as many passengers.
Old May 8, 2013, 5:03 pm

Programs: LH SEN/*G
Originally Posted by nobbyclark
I had to fly EDI-CPH-EDI last week and due to various factors flew outbound on easyJet and inbound on BMI. The easyjet flight was packed, not a single seat to be had; the BMI flight had 9 passengers on the way back - I had the whole exit row to myself.

And the weird thing is, easyjet treat you like cattle, pack you in, charge for everything and the flight cost was Ł182. BMI include food and drink, and the flight was Ł170. Not sure how long they will last with only 9 passengers though.
Here's what I'd be wary of. EZY have 156 seats on each A319, the last 20 of which will sell for Ł182, the preceding 136 having sold for buttons. BM have 48 seats to sell, many of which have to sell for about Ł170.

So it feels like BM and EZY are competing for 'the last 20 people to book' not the first 136. Until that point, EZY will have an enormous price advantage. (On otherwise comparable routes and schedules).

BM can differentiate from EZY, but probably not on price for the mainstream. For travellers who routinely book late, on routes that have high load factors on EZY, BM might be a viable option. (There's something counterintuitive about launching flights on routes that are already popular on EZY, but maybe it's in the "always open a Burger King round the corner from a McDonalds" pool of theories).

In my case, BM are operating routes unserved by anyone else, on schedules that work for the business day or interlining to other flights/long-haul, and so far on prices that I can justify ahead of trekking to LHR. (Long may it continue). I've seen some very very high prices on BRS-HAM, which do price me out of the market (and I'm back to BRS-SXF on EZY plus a train, or LHR-HAM on Germanwings or AB).

I would like BM to focus on that rather than trying to price-match EZY, which is doomed to failure given their aircraft sizes and preferred approach to customer experience (which is very closely aligned to the way I prefer to be treated as a customer, handily).
Old May 9, 2013, 4:30 am

Programs: BA, Marriott, Hertz, Dennis The Menace Fan Club
Good summary. And as an update, the final passenger count last night was 35. Long may that continue as it will presumably keep the service going.
Old May 9, 2013, 4:38 am

Originally Posted by BristolTraveller
So it feels like BM and EZY are competing for 'the last 20 people to book' not the first 136. Until that point, EZY will have an enormous price advantage. (On otherwise comparable routes and schedules).
I don't know about that. BMI's prices are pretty competitive with EJ, at least if you're booking well in advance. I've got a bunch of BMI flights booked from CPH-EDI over the next 8 months and I paid less than Ł50 for every one of them. I think it's more an issue of visibility. Everybody knows easyJet, not a lot of people (comparatively speaking, and certainly in countries like Denmark) know BMI Regional, so you'll have more people book with the former airline even if it's at a similar price.
Old May 9, 2013, 5:09 am

Programs: LH SEN/*G
Originally Posted by Jpsartre
I don't know about that. BMI's prices are pretty competitive with EJ, at least if you're booking well in advance. I've got a bunch of BMI flights booked from CPH-EDI over the next 8 months and I paid less than Ł50 for every one of them.
I think the challenge for BM is that they can't afford to sell the majority of their 48 seats at Ł50, whereas EZY can afford to sell ~100 seats at Ł50. It's the 'last 20 seats' in the market where BM and EZY will line up on price AND it's sustainable for BM.
Old May 9, 2013, 4:17 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver,clubcard,clubcard plus, BA Amex................ And Mucci x3 ;)
I'm reading elsewhere that a codeshare has been announces with SAS on routes into CPH

cs
Old May 9, 2013, 4:20 pm

Originally Posted by cornishsimon
I'm reading elsewhere that a codeshare has been announces with SAS on routes into CPH

cs

Which if true would mean EDI and GLA connected to the SAS network.

cs
Old May 10, 2013, 12:34 am

Originally Posted by cornishsimon
Can I ask where you read that? That would be great news for me since all my CPH-EDI flights involve a Danish domestic connection with SAS which I've so far have had to buy on separate tickets.
Old May 10, 2013, 2:40 am

Originally Posted by Jpsartre
Can I ask where you read that? That would be great news for me since all my CPH-EDI flights involve a Danish domestic connection with SAS which I've so far have had to buy on separate tickets.
From another forum which is why iv not posted a source.

Could be true, might not be, I'd love it to be true however.

cs
Old May 10, 2013, 3:30 am

Alright, thanks anyway. I'm keeping my fingers crossed
Old May 20, 2013, 2:31 am

Programs: BA Silver, Hilton Diamond, BD Blue (RIP)
The bmi Regional summer sale has started.

No day-glo colours this time
Old May 20, 2013, 2:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci Extraordinaire, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold (ex BD)
Originally Posted by sigma421
The bmi Regional summer sale has started.

No day-glo colours this time
My email actually promotes it as "The bmi summer sale" (no regional)

It still refers to bmi regional in the main text, but they seem to be happy to use the bmi brand on its own now they own it.

For some reason that made me happy
Old May 20, 2013, 8:39 am

Programs: not a lot
Whilst queuing up for FR Bag Drop earlier today I noticed a nice flow of pax checking in at the BM desks. I didn't do any counting but definitely looked enough to fill a few 145's.

And they have retained the bmi queue line divider thingys as well.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.