Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > bmi | Diamond Club
Reload this Page >

What happens if you are ticketed in one cabin and confirmed in another?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13, 2012, 1:41 pm
Original Poster

OK, so say, hypothetically, I am confirmed in C but ticketed in Y, what happens? Does this vary between airlines? Of course, this shouldn't happen, but, hypothetically, it has...
Old Mar 14, 2012, 3:27 am

Programs: LH FTL, BA Bronze
Originally Posted by LHR*G
OK, so say, hypothetically, I am confirmed in C but ticketed in Y, what happens? Does this vary between airlines? Of course, this shouldn't happen, but, hypothetically, it has...
Hypothetically, one shouldn't ask hypothetical questions .....
Old Mar 14, 2012, 3:29 am
Original Poster

Roger that. It was a friend of a friend's question anyhow...
Old Mar 14, 2012, 6:12 am

Not just hypothetical. I booked a F DC award flight on OZ from ICN to FRA in April. It appears on the LOT and Lufthansa sites as being in Y which of course panics me. However, the seats shown are in F, as too is the baggage allowance indicated. I went to Asiana's office in London to try to clarify this and they just shrugged their shoulders and said what's the problem the booking was definately in F.

Time will tell!
Old Mar 14, 2012, 6:49 am

Programs: BD*G, A3*G, BA-S, Accor Gold, IHG Amb
That's just a problem with checkmytrip though, not quite the same as ticketed verse confirmed.

Surely this question has relavence to GUVs...you ticket in Y in a revenue booking and get confirmed in Y, and then later down the line the confirmation gets changed to C, whilst the ticket is presumably still for Y?
Old Mar 14, 2012, 9:48 am

Programs: LH SEN/*G
It's possible to have a reservation in a cabin you're not ticketed for.

Airlines will hold a reservation for a specific amount of time in order for tickets to be issued. Periodically, they'll validate that a reservation has a ticket associated with it, and whether that ticket is valid. If it isn't, they could cancel the reservation. (e.g. Redemption bookings on SQ must be ticketed within 24 hours or the reservation is cancelled // I once reserved a seat on OS VIE-SYD in March but didn't ticket it until September).

The crunch time is when you have the boarding pass issued - this converts your reservation and the associated ticket (segment) into a specific seat. If the system is working right, the ticket must be validated for the flight/cabin you're being seated in.

I can tell you from personal experience that using an eGUV requires the ticket to be reissued and revalidated. I used an eGUV to upgrade myself and a colleague on LHR-DME, and my reservation showed 'Confirmed' in the business cabin. However, when I got the LHR, I could't check in because the tickets hadn't been re-issued. I had to go to the ticket counter, where they re-issued/re-validated the ticket for me. Then I could go and check in and get a boarding pass.

Don't panic at this stage - there are sometimes disparities between airline ticket rules, reservations and associations between fare buckets and cabin classes. (For instance, flying a Business ticket on sectors that only have Economy seating). As long as you've paid for, and been issued, a ticket in a 'Business' fare bucket, it should sort itself out, or it'll get sorted out at check-in.
Old Mar 14, 2012, 10:23 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Greenpen
Not just hypothetical. I booked a F DC award flight on OZ from ICN to FRA in April. It appears on the LOT and Lufthansa sites as being in Y which of course panics me. However, the seats shown are in F, as too is the baggage allowance indicated. I went to Asiana's office in London to try to clarify this and they just shrugged their shoulders and said what's the problem the booking was definately in F.

Time will tell!
Thinking back, I'm sure that when I flew FRA-ICN in F on OZ it appeared as Y on LH. Everything was fine - just the difference between systems.
Old Mar 14, 2012, 10:32 am

Programs: AA Exec Platinum/MM, DL Gold/MM, Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by tranmerechris
Thinking back, I'm sure that when I flew FRA-ICN in F on OZ it appeared as Y on LH. Everything was fine - just the difference between systems.
That's the important point. The only thing on a reservation record is a letter code, and it is up to the website displaying the reservation to interpret that code correctly. So they may mistakenly display "First" on the screen even though you really have a business or coach ticket. The only way to know for sure is to pull up the reservation on the operating carrier's web site. This is a good practice any time you book a ticket by some other channel.
Old Mar 15, 2012, 9:02 pm

Programs: BA, *A, Hertz Goldstar, Mucci wannabee, Waitrose, safari Oleg
hmmmm hypothetically....I don't think i'd have a problem if I'd landed in C or F having booked in Y...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.