Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Frankfurt airport strike

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21, 2012, 4:17 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BD,Skyteam,QF
Frankfurt airport strike..... successfully sidestepped!

Hi everyone,
Just wondering if anyone has transited FRA today or yesterday, and if so, where there problems?
Looking at the list of cancelled flights, they seem to be internal, and mainland Europe, so I'm hoping that LH981 tomorrow week will run (in the event they extend the strike beyond this week), since it ran today, apparently on time. ^

But I would be interested to hear what the on-the-ground experience is, and whether baggage transfers ok to onward long-haul with Singapore Airlines.
tia

Last edited by measures; Feb 29, 2012 at 10:07 am
Old Feb 21, 2012, 4:39 pm

Programs: Mucci, BMI*G, M&M SEN, FB Gold, PC Plat, Father of GhettoIFE
Long Haul International was running to normal.

Intra EU... I was delayed 1:10 on the tarmac at BHX on Monday. Most of the domestic German programme is in bits.

Good thing I was in the exit row of BMI A320
Old Feb 21, 2012, 4:51 pm
Original Poster

Thanks Kevin, I should be ok then, unless it gets worse.^
But I just have 65 minutes to transfer. I'll get in training!
Old Feb 21, 2012, 6:43 pm

I'd start running. It isn't pretty until Friday at the earliest.

Suffice to say, they're not holding onto long haul flights, and are letting them go near enough ontime. The EU and Domesitc programme is where the problems are (especilly if you're on a connection)

I'd have a rebook strategy on standby (looking at the past two days cancellations lists)

Put it like this: If I had done what I was going to do originally, there would had been a strong chance I would had missed my redemption flight completely.

Unless 15 minutes on a two ticket connection is enough time to clear security, check bags, get to the plane and guess your bags won't make it at all
Old Feb 22, 2012, 1:56 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Long thread in the M&M forum about FRA operations, note that changes to award tix issued by bmi on LH will have to be changed/reissued by bmi if you are looking to rebook on to non LH operated flights. LH agents can sticker you onto LH flight numbers in the DCS without much approval required by supervisors, but the moment a reroute or OAL carrier gets into the picture the ticket desk needs to reissue the ticket and anything on stock other than 220 gets tricky. So have the PTS numbers handy!
Old Feb 22, 2012, 5:14 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by oliver2002
Long thread in the M&M forum about FRA operations, note that changes to award tix issued by bmi on LH will have to be changed/reissued by bmi if you are looking to rebook on to non LH operated flights. LH agents can sticker you onto LH flight numbers in the DCS without much approval required by supervisors, but the moment a reroute or OAL carrier gets into the picture the ticket desk needs to reissue the ticket and anything on stock other than 220 gets tricky. So have the PTS numbers handy!
I'm sorry, but I don't understand any of that. (and I probably need to). I'll search the M&M forum.
Old Feb 22, 2012, 5:32 am

Programs: Seniors Bus Pass
Roughly translated,

If you are flying with LH and rebook through LH on to other LH flights then it is pretty straightforward.

If you require a reroute on to other carriers it might get a bit tricky. The suggestion is to have the bmi PTS section (Pre Travel Support) numbers handy, in case they refer you back to bmi to get it fixed as it is not their ticket stock? Alles klar?
Old Feb 22, 2012, 3:07 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by antichef
Roughly translated,

If you are flying with LH and rebook through LH on to other LH flights then it is pretty straightforward.

If you require a reroute on to other carriers it might get a bit tricky. The suggestion is to have the bmi PTS section (Pre Travel Support) numbers handy, in case they refer you back to bmi to get it fixed as it is not their ticket stock? Alles klar?
Thanks Antichef. Clear now.^^
I rebooked the first leg for an earlier flight, so I will have 6 boring hours in Frankfurt if all goes well. I'll search for the PTS numbers now.
Old Feb 22, 2012, 3:15 pm

And it appears to be over now. Just watch out for random cancellations due to out of position planes...
Old Feb 22, 2012, 3:40 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Kevincm
And it appears to be over now. Just watch out for random cancellations due to out of position planes...
.... and if I hadn't made the change, it would have been extended, I suppose
I'll leave room for a book in the hand luggage.
Old Feb 26, 2012, 4:01 pm
Original Poster

Arrgh! (or however you spell it!)
Anxiety levels increasing by the minute - this week its scheduled to run to thursday, but most inconveniently the onward long-haul will be running ok.
Here come 2 days of watching the cancellations again!

UPDATE 27/2
Lufthansa Dublin reservations checked for me, and LH979 is running ok on 29th. (in case anyone else is wondering)
Update 28/2
I now see that due to the escalation by ATC, my original flight has been cancelled, so thanks Antichef ^ and Kevincm ^ for your posts, which got me to change to the earlier flight (so far not cancelled).

Last edited by measures; Feb 28, 2012 at 10:45 am Reason: Updated information
Old Feb 29, 2012, 9:55 am
Original Poster

Smile

Nicely ensconced in the Business lounge at gate C16 in Frankfurt. It quiet now that the flight to Shanghai has left.
Slight worry before takeoff in Dublin when the captain came on to announce a delay.... but it was only 10 minutes^
The 'North Sea shrimps on seaweed' must have been snatched from their mothers at birth. I hope the fare on the flight to Singapore is better.
Just saw one Lufthansa A380 pull back (called 'Zurich') and another, I think, also taxiing.
Forgot to charge the camera battery, so the trip report, when it comes, will have to rely on phone camera
Thanks to everyone for help and advice.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.