Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > bmi | Diamond Club
Reload this Page >

The dismantling of bmi has started

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The dismantling of bmi has started

Search this Thread

Old Feb 1, 2012, 5:51 pm
Original Poster

Unhappy The dismantling of bmi has started

I thought this thread would be useful over the next few months as bmi disappears bit by bit in different ways. Please post any changes you notice or experience as bmi is slowly laid to rest.

My first observation is the removel of the large advertising campaign at Heathrow. 'The home of bmi British Midland International' was removed today from the entrance to terminals 1, 2 and 3.
Old Feb 2, 2012, 7:35 am

Programs: BD*G, A3*G, BA-S, Accor Gold, IHG Amb
Are you sure it wasn't just the end of the fixed-term lease? Being taken down at the end of the month suggests it may be just that.
Old Feb 2, 2012, 7:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Sugababe bmi decided not to continue the use of the sign, this was announced internally a few weeks ago. It was a decision taken last year.

Management decided it was a limited resource given its high cost and how it is a static sign and therefore cannot be changed . I also understand that it was deemed a success given brand awareness of bmi has increased considerably.
Old Feb 2, 2012, 2:12 pm

Programs: LH SEN/*G
Originally Posted by hugolover
I also understand that it was deemed a success given brand awareness of bmi has increased considerably.
I have a sinking feeling we'll be using the phrase "if they'd done that 5 years ago" quite a lot in the coming months.

If there *is* any "dismantling" of BD going on, the Competition Commission is going to view it *extremely* dimly. I should imagine BA would be going to enormous lengths not to give any indication of influence on BD's business at the moment.
Old Feb 2, 2012, 2:19 pm

Programs: BAEC Blue, VS Silver
Not sure if this is indicative of anything or not, but got a letter in the post today from MBNA informing me that from April the APR on my BMI Mastercard is going through the roof. An attempt to get people to move off the card before things get complicated or maybe just a general move away from the Mastercard payment method?
Old Feb 2, 2012, 2:55 pm

Programs: HiltonH. Gold Starwood Gold BA BLUES! Mucci.
No, that is my historical experience with the Maryland bank of north america (MBNA). Cut the card up, send it back to them.... you don't even get the full range of protection offered by UK cards. They are just trying it on.....
Never understood why a bank would want to turn the screw on it's good customers to pay for the bad..... I guess they hope you won't notice. Egg and American express have also done this.....
Old Feb 2, 2012, 6:08 pm

Programs: BA, *A, Hertz Goldstar, Mucci wannabee, Waitrose, safari Oleg
Originally Posted by randalf
Not sure if this is indicative of anything or not, but got a letter in the post today from MBNA informing me that from April the APR on my BMI Mastercard is going through the roof. An attempt to get people to move off the card before things get complicated or maybe just a general move away from the Mastercard payment method?
... or the co-branding deal is no being renewed so they've sold the business....

Yes as suggested by another poster it's perfectly worthwhile calling them up and saying "I'm a good customer and I'm not accepting this interest rate hike"....
Old Feb 3, 2012, 5:45 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Skipcool3
No, that is my historical experience with the Maryland bank of north america (MBNA). Cut the card up, send it back to them.... you don't even get the full range of protection offered by UK cards. They are just trying it on.....
Never understood why a bank would want to turn the screw on it's good customers to pay for the bad..... I guess they hope you won't notice. Egg and American express have also done this.....
Maryland Bank of North America indeed, but Delaware-based for a couple of decades (but of course now owned by North Carolina-based Bank of America).

Hiking up the interest rates on the bmi credit card doesn't surprise me. I think it would have occurred even without LH trying to get itself freed of BD.
Old Feb 3, 2012, 3:44 pm

Programs: LH SEN/*G
If it's any consolation, they did the same to me on the first anniversary of my card (which I conscientiously paid off in full every month), whacking the interest rate to a blistering 32.9% APR.

They did the same to my Miles and More card too.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.