OT: Ok, I'm going to say it...

Old Dec 22, 11, 7:18 am

Programs: BA Bronze, BD Blue :(, Le Club Accorhotels Silver, AF/NH Pleb
The big question now is what is the merger plan? Will Swanhunter be going round the news programmes warning of job losses? (or opportunities for redeployment in the Aegean forum?). Will the BA board be paying us 10 million Avios should the deal fall through? Will the BA board be willing to take on some of the more popular, but less commercially viable bits of the bmi board (such as lolcats and train discussion) or will this be gradually swept away in the face of more champagne?
Old Dec 22, 11, 7:45 am

Programs: "Only" 60,000 TPs until GGLfL
I would argue there's quite a strong cultural difference. In some ways the BA board resembles a lot of the kind of culture/aspirations which the BA premium cabin brand tries to evoke: a sort of throwback to the era of Noel Coward - complete with class is an important issue, a hint of ill-will to those seeking to go up a class without earning it, a not-entirely-secret willingness to understand the actual way to raise once's class; and of course there's the secret society (cf. the Mucci), the frisson of homosexuality (this is not a pejorative comment: I'm not saying it's bad, not saying it's good - just saying it's a not a topic the bmi board every really talks about/alludes to, despite the fact that SMB was a very prominent gay figure at the top of UK Plc) .. the whole thing is just a little bit like a novel set in a 1930s Boarding School.

the bmi board strikes me as a little bit more transactional. All people seem to care about is how to convince someone in Pune to let them fly ALA-FRA-ZRH-NRT-MUC-FRA-ALA in F for 20,000 miles; plus the occasional mourning of the bmi hat...

And yes, I'm both BD 55k*G and a BA Gold... and a very happy frequent visitor to both fora

Right, I'm off to spend 8 hours on the phone to India now
Alex
Old Dec 22, 11, 9:38 am
Ambassador

Originally Posted by Jenbel View Post
I'm very sorry... I'm allergic to cats, so you won't be able to bring them to the VS forum when () VS completes the purchase

Trains will fit well though

(GC, was that what you meant?!)
We could have used some more regulars on the VS forum.

Hope the merger goes well for everyone.
Old Dec 22, 11, 9:58 am
Moderator, Turkish Airlines Miles&Smiles & Le Club Accorhotels
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: TK*G, Le Club Accorhotels Platinum
Originally Posted by alexwuk View Post
. the whole thing is just a little bit like a novel set in a 1930s Boarding School.
I always thought it was more akin to Downton Abbey
Old Dec 22, 11, 11:33 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Since it looks like BD-R will be the new FRA/MUC feeder from the UK, anyone willing to get the lolcatz into the M&M forum is more than welcome
Old Dec 22, 11, 12:57 pm

Programs: BA GGL & LTG, EK Silver, HHonors Lifetime Diamond; Proudly Mucci Free - total nonsense
a hint of ill-will to those seeking to go up a class without earning it
replace "earning" with "shopping in Tesco frequently enough", which is how most people in BA F arrived there it seems
Old Dec 22, 11, 1:33 pm
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), AA OWS (Plat Pro), EY Silver (compted), IHG Plat
I have found this on BA forum (yes - I am looking at various options after today's announcement):

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...defend-ba.html

Good read

Merry Christmas everyone, Happy New Year and Safe Travels in 2012!
Old Dec 22, 11, 1:50 pm

Programs: GGL CCR
I would argue there's quite a strong cultural difference. In some ways the BA board resembles a lot of the kind of culture/aspirations which the BA premium cabin brand tries to evoke: a sort of throwback to the era of Noel Coward - complete with class is an important issue, a hint of ill-will to those seeking to go up a class without earning it, a not-entirely-secret willingness to understand the actual way to raise once's class; and of course there's the secret society (cf. the Mucci), the frisson of homosexuality (this is not a pejorative comment: I'm not saying it's bad, not saying it's good - just saying it's a not a topic the bmi board every really talks about/alludes to, despite the fact that SMB was a very prominent gay figure at the top of UK Plc) .. the whole thing is just a little bit like a novel set in a 1930s Boarding School.

the bmi board strikes me as a little bit more transactional. All people seem to care about is how to convince someone in Pune to let them fly ALA-FRA-ZRH-NRT-MUC-FRA-ALA in F for 20,000 miles; plus the occasional mourning of the bmi hat...

And yes, I'm both BD 55k*G and a BA Gold... and a very happy frequent visitor to both fora
Well said, and yes am both BD and BA gold as well.
Old Dec 22, 11, 3:40 pm

Originally Posted by TPJ View Post
I have found this on BA forum (yes - I am looking at various options after today's announcement):

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...defend-ba.html

Good read

Merry Christmas everyone, Happy New Year and Safe Travels in 2012!
Yes, I did start that thread after breaking my FT virginity on this fantastic board, then making my way over to the dark side after the BD GLA route was abandoned. The differences are quite significant between the two boards, however they are not as bad as they like to make out (at least it appears not! )
Old Dec 22, 11, 3:54 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Sixt Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Platinum, Avis First, Caesars TR Diamond, Mlife Gold
Wink BMI--Showing Americans, the Exotic World at a Discount

Originally Posted by h15t0r1an View Post
Don't worry, when they fly to bizarre places, after about two years when you've just about got used to using the route, they delete it.... :-)
On the USA BMI page---great deals to Beirut, Damascus, Tehran (Imam Khomeini Intl, joy, joy), Riyadh and last but not least, Freetown!!! Oh, I am just dying, to go to all these exotic places, where they just Love Americans!!!
Old Dec 22, 11, 5:40 pm

Programs: BA Gold - A3 Gold - FB Gold - IHG Plat - SPG Gold -Hyatt Platinum
Originally Posted by gkbiiii View Post
On the USA BMI page---great deals to Beirut, Damascus, Tehran (Imam Khomeini Intl, joy, joy), Riyadh and last but not least, Freetown!!! Oh, I am just dying, to go to all these exotic places, where they just Love Americans!!!
Beirut and Tehran are both amazing places. Too bad the american media affected you in such negative way.
Old Dec 22, 11, 6:13 pm

Programs: EI-GCE, BD-G, BA-G, A3*G, TK*G, FB-G, HH-G, Hyatt-Dia
IKE I kinda get on the fear front for an American - but BEY? Seriously?
Old Dec 22, 11, 6:20 pm

Originally Posted by GoldCircle View Post
IKE I kinda get on the fear front for an American - but BEY? Seriously?
I found it interesting at least. But that's of course a matter of taste. I know people who doesn't like Paris... go figure...
Old Dec 22, 11, 7:22 pm

Programs: EI-GCE, BD-G, BA-G, A3*G, TK*G, FB-G, HH-G, Hyatt-Dia
Can't stand Paris.
Old Dec 22, 11, 7:38 pm

Originally Posted by GoldCircle View Post
Can't stand Paris.
I'm sure you can't

Search this Thread
Search Engine: