Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > bmi | Diamond Club
Reload this Page >

IAG and LH agree sale of British Midland Airlines Ltd; BD 'to exit *A on completion'

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

IAG and LH agree sale of British Midland Airlines Ltd; BD 'to exit *A on completion'

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6, 2012, 6:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

About time, but I'm not convinced bmi wouldn't have posted this if I, sugababe and later OZ hadn't posted this in public. It seems clear they wanted to sit on this as long as possible considering the Star Alliance exit was posted the day the EU approval came through.

Pretty disappointing the FAQ doesn't say what is the last date to spend miles on Star Alliance partners. Whether we can continue to earn miles on BD flights with other Star partners whether booked before or after 20th April.

So, nothing new from HQ with regards to management at bmi.
Old Apr 6, 2012, 6:53 am

Programs: SK Gold, ITA Executive, Sixt Diamond, Hertz PC, Avis PC, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by hugolover
Pretty disappointing the FAQ doesn't say what is the last date to spend miles on Star Alliance partners. Whether we can continue to earn miles on BD flights with other Star partners whether booked before or after 20th April.
Or using *A benefits on BD flights and BD*G benefits on *A flights.
Old Apr 6, 2012, 7:06 am

Programs: BA GGL
Originally Posted by Flying Lawyer
If you go half a year back in time you will read umteen threads and so more posts how bad M&M is. And now we complain that they do not status match us....
True, although one of the primary reasons M&M is worse than DC is that it takes vastly more miles to get status, so a status match would take away one of the complaints about M&M (if only for a year).
Old Apr 6, 2012, 7:11 am
IMH

Programs: BA Gold; Accor Plat; IHG Diamond-Amb; Meliá & HH & Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Carolinian
What about the much larger universe of DC members who are not on FT? Shouldn't they get proper notice, too?
Of course they should -- and I still don't expect them to be treated badly. We'll probably see the ability to make some of the more wonderful DC redemptions disappear rather quickly, but apart from that *A, LH and BA all have an interest in giving customers both opportunity and incentive to participate in their respective programmes and alliances going forward.

My comment was directed at people who've been following these threads on the DC forum for the past three years or so. No one in that category should be whingeing or feigning surprise.
Old Apr 6, 2012, 7:12 am
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), IHG Plat Ambassador
Originally Posted by vindaloo
so a status match would take away one of the complaints about M&M (if only for a year).
SEN status is valid for 2 years
Old Apr 6, 2012, 8:25 am

Programs: TG ROP Gold, Lifetime OZ Diamond Plus, BA Gold
Originally Posted by redshift27
Even if you would never fly on AA, QF, CX or LN you could redeem Avios on hotels: 3M Avios would get you Ł18,000 of hotel nights.
Still not the greatest of value for the miles, but at least much better than BMI's rate for hotel stays, and I suppose if I really can't find any good use for flying, I'll end up doing something like that with them. Of course that's assuming the miles transfer as 1:1. If the rate is less, then it'll make the advantage of using them as hotel stays via Avios vs. BMI not as advantageous.
Old Apr 6, 2012, 8:35 am

Originally Posted by sigma421
bmi Q&A Regarding Star Alliance Exit
In googling 'bmi Social Meeja', I take it that information was posted on Twitter, of which I am not a member, nor have any desire to join, but no place on the BMI website, nor in emails, etc. Certainly nice of DC to continue to do their best to inform the smallest group possible about the changes. I simply don't understand what BMI is attempting to do by withholding information from their general members. I suppose if nothing else, their actions will make it much more likely that there will be massive complaints in the future and they may be forced to extend *A benefits, etc. longer than their original intention.
Old Apr 6, 2012, 8:48 am

Well the announcement goes some way to calming (however small) fears that redemptions weren't safe.

Still more questions than answers - but welcome small steps.
Old Apr 6, 2012, 8:54 am

Programs: All of them...
Will Diamond Club merge with BAEC (Avios)

Will Diamond Club merge with BAEC (Avios)?
Old Apr 6, 2012, 8:56 am

Programs: Flying: VA; Buying: AA, AS, AV, BA, UA!
Originally Posted by A_Lee
In googling 'bmi Social Meeja', I take it that information was posted on Twitter, of which I am not a member, nor have any desire to join, but no place on the BMI website, nor in emails, etc. Certainly nice of DC to continue to do their best to inform the smallest group possible about the changes. I simply don't understand what BMI is attempting to do by withholding information from their general members. I suppose if nothing else, their actions will make it much more likely that there will be massive complaints in the future and they may be forced to extend *A benefits, etc. longer than their original intention.
The announcement is posted on Facebook with lots of questions being asked and bmi responding to some of them.
Old Apr 6, 2012, 9:21 am

Originally Posted by lizban
Well the announcement goes some way to calming (however small) fears that redemptions weren't safe.

Still more questions than answers - but welcome small steps.
But only if you're on facebook or wherever it is that they're answering these questions. They need to be getting the word out to everyone, not just some select few. I'm not saying that answering to those questions is bad, it's just they're completely failing to advise all their members of the impending changes.
Old Apr 6, 2012, 9:42 am

Programs: Bonvoy LT Plat, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, BMI Gold (RIP)
Originally Posted by hugolover
About time, but I'm not convinced bmi wouldn't have posted this if I, sugababe and later OZ hadn't posted this in public. It seems clear they wanted to sit on this as long as possible considering the Star Alliance exit was posted the day the EU approval came through.
I think you are rather inflating the value of a couple of posts on FT in particular. bmi and DC will be working to a process to deliver the information and until information is cleared by management, it won't go to the public domain.
Likewise, OZ's announcement will most likely have had no influence on the timing of an announcement either.

All of the information has to be absolutely correct in a process like this, as to get anything wrong can cost the business. For that reason the information flow will be strictly managed to ensure accuracy. With this in mind, I disagre with your conclusion that they wanted to sit on this as long as possible. They ultimately want to get it right to ensure as smooth a commercial transition between LH and IAG. Anything else would be rather strange business decision. There is a lot more to the bmi business than just Diamond Club and the DC membership base.
Old Apr 6, 2012, 9:51 am

Programs: Star Alliance Gold, Oneworld Silver
*A, LH and BA all have an interest in giving customers both opportunity and incentive to participate in their respective programmes and alliances going forward.

I couldn't agree more !! It's incredible to see so many people lamenting the passing of BD and DC as if their whole lives are now down the plughole when, in fact, all their Christmases have come at once!! Get real !! However it all pans out, people will be going from status and points on a life-expired embarrassment to a major international carrier. Everyone in the equation (IAG, LH etc.) is going to want people's business, so just wait and see and, above all, rejoice !!
Old Apr 6, 2012, 9:59 am

Whilst I can't disagree this is BMI!
Old Apr 6, 2012, 10:18 am

Programs: BA Blue
maybe

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.