Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > bmi | Diamond Club
Reload this Page >

IAG and Lufthansa reach agreement in principle on the sale of British Midland Ltd.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

IAG and Lufthansa reach agreement in principle on the sale of British Midland Ltd.

Search this Thread

Old Dec 3, 2011, 4:41 am

Programs: BMI Diamond Club RIP,BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by uk1
FFP's cannot be seen purely as an isolated stand-alone business. They are loyalty programmes so the loyalty generation aspect is the key consideration.

The purpose of them primarily is to encourage customers to spend their cash on the flights in order to generate the FF points/miles. Very few DC customers are FT savvy. Very few DC pots are constructed in the way that FT'ers have populated their accounts. Most accounts are largely full of points earned the hard way. It's how much incremental business BMI believed they had earned from offering a world beating FFP that is the key consideration for them in deciding the profitability of DC.

It isn't just a matter of redemptions cost and miles selling to partners.
All would normally be true of a FF scheme.....But, anecdotal evidence would suggest that there is not much linkage nowadays between DC customers and BD customers, the last time I flew BD metal was LHR-MME! I know I'm not alone. I suspect that the chopping and changing of routes has driven BD loyalty to an all time low, witness the jungle jets and low load factors everybody reports. My conclusion is then that DC is worthless as a loyalty scheme for BD and as far as IAG are concerned all these * big hitters we keep hearing about would far rather catch a number 9 bus than fly BA so I really don't think IAG are bothered about them as they prefer to fly * and will just decamp to the next best generous scheme, see the other thread discussing exactly that.

The one banker for BD will have been the positive cash flow benefit of DC whilst we we all earning. But now we are all burning, that benefit to BD reduces,allbeit that they won't pay partners, Hopefully!, till after we've flown...

I reckon it is exactly a case of redemptions cost and miles selling to partners. As others have said maybe a 2 for 1 switch into BAEC is the best we can hope for
Old Dec 3, 2011, 4:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by h15t0r1an
Ummmm I think I read somewhere that DC is actually a profitable part of BMI.... (like to huge tax now charged on redemptions might be a factor!!)
I assume that it is but it remains to be seen how much money it makes. Being profitable and making a substantial contribution to the bottomline is not the same thing and I would suspect that what IAG regards as an acceptable ROI is not quite the same as what BD would regard as an acceptable ROI.
DC has zero strategic importance to BA to the raw numbers would have to work pretty well to be worth the effort and complication of another non-core unit. While I have no insider knowledge whatsoever nor any hands on experience of the economics of FFPs, I have my doubt that the figures would stack up impressively enough for DC to be really worth it for BA.
Old Dec 4, 2011, 4:56 am
Moderator, Turkish Airlines Miles&Smiles & Accor ALL
Original Poster
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: TK*G, Accor ALL Platinum
WW on Sky News this morning on BD: Still doing due diligence, IAG are not the only bidder for BD and negotiations are not exclusive, IAG bid the best to ensure continuing connectivity at LHR. Or so he says....
Old Dec 4, 2011, 9:20 am

Programs: BA, AA, SQ, UA, AC, WS, MR TIT
Originally Posted by starflyergold
WW on Sky News this morning on BD: Still doing due diligence, IAG are not the only bidder for BD and negotiations are not exclusive, IAG bid the best to ensure continuing connectivity at LHR. Or so he says....
Whoops. That means that VS offer is still on the table.
Old Dec 4, 2011, 9:39 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

Originally Posted by NA-Flyer
Whoops. That means that VS offer is still on the table.
Wouldn't surprise me for no reason other than Mr Ridgway has been uncharacteristically silent since his meeting with Lufty last month.
Old Dec 4, 2011, 9:43 am

Programs: BA Silver, Hilton Diamond, BD Blue (RIP)
Most interesting quotes from Mr Walsh being:

We don't have exclusive negotiations with Lufthansa
and
I believe that the British Airways/IAG... is the only one that's likely to retain those [referring to Belfast City route] links to Heathrow
The full interview is on the Sky News iPad app. I can only find a short clip on the Sky News website referring to APD and not the bmi deal
Old Dec 4, 2011, 11:26 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Prospero
Wouldn't surprise me for no reason other than Mr Ridgway has been uncharacteristically silent since his meeting with Lufty last month.
I think BA have already done the deal and are just going over the finer points of it.

I would expect an announcement shortly.
Old Dec 5, 2011, 12:15 am

Programs: BA Gold(OWE), QF LTG, MR Plat, IHG Spire, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by HIDDY
I think BA have already done the deal and are just going over the finer points of it.

Agreed.
Old Dec 5, 2011, 2:36 am

Programs: Bonvoy LT Plat, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, BMI Gold (RIP)
Originally Posted by HIDDY

I believe that there was / is a deal structure well negotiated. VS genuinely do seem to believe they are still at the negotiating table over the past few weeks and from what I have heard they genuinely have backing now from the Middle East to underwrite the transaction and losses of picking up bmi. As was mentioned by Prospero the silence from them is quite telling.

Even if they aren't successful in derailing the IAG bid, they have potentially done LH a favour in helping their negotiations on some of the areas that were still under discussion with IAG.
Old Dec 5, 2011, 8:09 am

Programs: BD*G, A3*G, Alaska G, LH, HHonors, Accor, Priority Club; Tufty Club Diamond
If fly almost exclusively Y, because that's all that work pays for. For me, status matters. It's the difference between having a good chance of a free upgrade to Y+, and sitting in a rubbish middle seat in row 57. It's a free drink and comfortable seat in an airport lounge rather than a sticky table in a Wetherspoons airport pub.

I for one started with DC becuase I was doing quite a bit of flying to places like AMS which were served by BMI from Heathrow. The only thing that has really pushed me away from being a more regular BMI flyer is the erosion of routes, especially that one. Lufthansa have probably been the main beneficiary of Euro route erosion, rather than BA, because of my access to lounges (albeit AMS is a bad example there, but you get the point)

Being adopted into the BA scheme on good status terms would probably be a good incentive for me to favour them over KLM and Lufthansa, all other things being equal.

Quite how much they need a few more flights from a fortnightly cheapo-Y flyer who does a handful of TATLs a year, I'm not sure.
Old Dec 6, 2011, 10:17 am

Programs: Various memberships
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-1...rea-to-kl.html

British Airways will probably target Korea, Malaysia and other high-growth Asian markets as it examines how to make the best use of operating slots at London’s Heathrow airport on offer with the takeover of BMI.
“We’re still moving forward” with the acquisition and currently doing due diligence on BMI, said Laura Goodes, a spokeswoman for IAG.
Does read like pretty much a done deal
Old Dec 8, 2011, 1:41 pm

Programs: QF LTG, LH (SEN*** till 02/26), AF, AA, AB-G†
Originally Posted by TheEngineer
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-1...rea-to-kl.html

Does read like pretty much a done deal
Remember when LX wanted to join Oneworld? It was announced even on the Oneworld homepage. If IAG is doing the due diligence nothing is sure for now.

I really believe it when it really happens!
Old Dec 13, 2011, 2:35 am

Programs: EI-GCE, BD-G, BA-G, A3*G, TK*G, FB-G, HH-G, Hyatt-Dia
As Virgin is now officially at the table, this section of the saga is over and a new one begins. Please continue to follow the yellow brick road (the one with grey piping ) in the follow-on thread:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/bmi-d...lines-ltd.html

GoldCircle
bmi forum Mod team

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.