Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > bmi | Diamond Club
Reload this Page >

OT: BMI plus Hyatt - holiday on a tight budget

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

OT: BMI plus Hyatt - holiday on a tight budget

Search this Thread

Old Sep 25, 2011, 4:26 pm
Original Poster

Programs: A3 *G
BMI plus Hyatt - holiday on a tight budget

Prehaps a cheeky request as I know I should knuckle down, go through the options and figure this one out myself - but I thought it would be no harm in asking for opinions as I've spent the best part of the day looking into it.

After a year of back and forth to the US I've 240k miles and 100k Hyatt points ( *G with BMI and Diamond with Hyatt ), I'd like to go on a holiday for two next year but money is tight. Based on the extensive travel knowledge that is represented on the board - does anybody have any suggestions on desinations that would maxmise the use of these points whilst keeping the cash element low ?

Never thought I would say it but I'll definitely be going all miles rather than cash and miles.
Old Sep 25, 2011, 5:22 pm

Programs: BAEC G, WN A-, Hyatt G, HH G, MAR T, Hz PC, was [UA2P, FL A+Elite, BD G]
Before anyone can help, we need to know from where you will be traveling (looks like the UK, but you never explicitly said so). It would also help to know what types of trips appeal to you (beach, city, etc.) and what kind of activities you would want to do on your trip.

I'm no expert on Hyatt, but I'm sure someone here can help with that end. I am certain we here can help guide you to a good use of your DC miles.
Old Sep 26, 2011, 2:48 am

Programs: BA Gold, A3 *Gold
RE destination - I have no clue on the Hyatt scheme and what that will get you, however I would suggest you start with this side. You have plenty of miles for a business (or first) flight so I would look at what you can get hotel wise first and then plan from there.

Generally the advice here is to use miles plus cash but you want to save cash and have plenty of miles so miles only is probably the way you'll want to go.

Taxes and fees are higher for business so if you really are looking to minimise cash spend you'll need to go economy - but that really isn't good value for miles and IMO the difference in tax is worth it so if you can raise the cash try to go business. Alternatively if you don't mind a little inconveinice you can look at positioning yourself outside the UK where tax is lower, maybe even have a few days in a European city so its not just an extra connection?
Old Sep 26, 2011, 3:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
The best Hyatt properties are in Asia - Grand / Park Hyatts Tokyo, Grand / Parks in Shanghai etc. You get real bang for your buck here. 100k (with a 10k points purchase) would be 5 nights at one of these top properties.

If you tied that in with a Zone 2 - Zone 8 Asia redemption, I think you'd be maximising both sets of points. Starting in Zone 2 also minimises UK APD.

Also worth noting that Hyatt has just taken over a resort in the Maldives. This is an exceptional redemption, since I believe (check with the Hyatt forum) you are getting c $1,000 a night of hotel for 22k Hyatt points. Getting to Male is a bit tricky on Star Alliance but is doable, usually by going to Singapore and (if you can't get redemption seats for the SIN-MLE hop) paying cash for the last bit.
Old Sep 26, 2011, 3:40 am

Programs: Virtuoso, Marriott Stars/Luminous, Hilton Impresario, IHG Luxury & Lifestyle, Hyatt Prive etc
From the Hyatt point of view, I would probably suggest a twin centre holiday. There are a number of properties at 5000 points per night in Indonesia, Malaysia, China. Choose one of those for 5-7 nights in a resort property and use the remaining points in a transit city, eg Bangkok, Singapore for 3-4 nights. Make sure the hotels have a club lounge so you don't spend cash on food.

Flights, go Z1 or Z2 to Z8 via Z7. You may need to buy cheap economy ticket to final destination from your city hub, but can afford business/first the rest of the way.
Old Sep 26, 2011, 6:59 am
Original Poster

Programs: A3 *G
sorry HPN-HRL, RobDBA - context would indeed be useful; I'm based out of DUB, have been lucky enough to use BMI C&M to visit SIN,CPH,MNL,AKL,SYD,SFO,LAX,BGI,HKG,etc over the years, so no particular single type of holiday.

Thanks Raffles, price123, nice suggestions - I've not yet managed South America or Africa with BMI miles and had a desire to go that way, but Asia is appealing in terms of value.
Old Sep 27, 2011, 10:32 am

Programs: SQ TPP, BA Gold, Hyatt Life Glob, SPG/Marriott Life Plat,
Originally Posted by Raffles
The best Hyatt properties are in Asia - Grand / Park Hyatts Tokyo, Grand / Parks in Shanghai etc.
The GH and PH in Shanghai are next to each other so easy to walk from one to the other if you wish to try both. The Park is much nicer than the Grand, not surprisingly. Just a shame about the city, which I do not like.

There is a also very nice Park Hyatt in Saigon and the excellent PH Sydney is currently undergoing a big refurb so may reopen in time for the OP.
Old Sep 27, 2011, 11:07 am

Originally Posted by vantheman
Thanks Raffles, price123, nice suggestions - I've not yet managed South America or Africa with BMI miles and had a desire to go that way, but Asia is appealing in terms of value.
For South America... the Park Hyatt Buenos Aires is very well regarded indeed, one of the city's top hotels... and you could combine Buenos Aires with the Park Hyatt Mendoza - which, while not as spectacular, is a great redemption value at 8k points/night. 100k Hyatt points would get you four nights in Buenos Aires, and three in Mendoza, with some points to spare.

China also has heaps of potential - Park Hyatts in Beijing and Shanghai, and a new Park Hyatt resort opening in Ningbo, a few hours on the train from Shanghai.

Park Hyatt Maldives looks pretty special... but even on free nights, it'll be hard to keep the costs down. Transfers from Male are around $300 per person, restaurants have New York prices, etc... Whereas in China or Argentina, there's heaps of glorious reasonably-priced food a quick cab ride away.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.