Outrageous YQ - any ideas?

Old Jul 13, 11, 11:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: HH Gold, BA Silver, Accor Silver
Outrageous YQ - any ideas?

As some of you may know, I've got seats BHX-BRU-ORD-LAS

Thought it was all sorted then the ICC called me back to say they needed more money, as they hadn't charged me for the return leg LAS-LAX-LHR.

Thing is when they initially said I owed them 550 or so I thought that sounded about right for a C&M booking with one leg on v. low charges NZ.

Anyway, I queried the breakdown and they said UA wanted 213.20 in YQ for the BRU-ORD leg. That seemed very high so I looked on ITA and it says EUR110. However, by tagging on the SN flight, SN also want an additional EUR130 in YQ. The SN YQ for this sector on its own is EUR46. If you book the BHX-BRU on a BD code then there's no YQ at all.

I'm rapidly thinking the best bet here is to get Eurostar over the night before, save myself an early cab to the airport and the SN YQ and the APD, but is there anything else that can be done here?

Thanks
Tony
Old Jul 14, 11, 12:12 am

Programs: AF/KL FB Plat 4L, VA Vel Silver, BA EC, LH M&M
Have I understood you correctly that you think about going to BRU by Eurostar and staying there overnight just to save EUR130?
Old Jul 14, 11, 12:19 am

Programs: VA Plat, QF LTS, UA MM, Hilton Diamond, Rydges Black, ,Le-Club Gold
You also save the UK APD, about the same amount.
Old Jul 14, 11, 1:09 am

Just redeem a separate ticket for the BHX-BRU instead? After all, it will be peanuts compared to the extra APD and YQ... Just make sure to leave plenty of time.
Old Jul 14, 11, 1:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cityflyer369 View Post
Have I understood you correctly that you think about going to BRU by Eurostar and staying there overnight just to save EUR130?
There's a point of principle in play as well...

Anyway, look at my options...

1) 4.30am taxi to the airport (60), plus 120 APD and EUR130 YQ

or

2) Train to BRU the previous night after work (39) plus a night in BRU or at the airport (but that's looking like 150 or so, which knocks the savings a bit...)

Think I'll just pay up and then hope for a better route to come available.
Old Jul 14, 11, 7:42 am

Programs: VA Plat, QF LTS, UA MM, Hilton Diamond, Rydges Black, ,Le-Club Gold
Originally Posted by Swiss Tony View Post
a night in BRU or at the airport (but that's looking like 150 or so, which knocks the savings a bit...)
last time I got a room at BRU airport on hotwire.com, 5-star for $85 (plus $30 fees), turned out to be the Sheraton at the terminal, very pleasant.
Old Jul 14, 11, 11:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

This just keeps getting better...

Looked on the LOT website at the fare breakdown.

LOT tells me I paid 482 for the ticket, including 138.60 in YQ. BMI told me I was paying 213.20 in YQ

I believe BMI charged me in the region of 560 (not showing on the credit card yet), so the difference between the 2 YQ prices makes 482 up to 560 or so.

Is there a legal obligation to provide an accurate receipt for a transaction? Who do I speak to next?
Old Jul 16, 11, 6:18 am

Check the receipt and the tax breakdown on:
https://eitr.amadeusasia.com/
Old Jul 17, 11, 3:34 am

Thumbs down

''YQ'' is airline-speak for ''rip off''.
Old Jul 17, 11, 4:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

This gets better...

I've just picked up a voicemail from Friday to say 'yes, we got it wrong, we were overcharging you by 80, tax amount is now 482', (as per the LOT site)

I then go in to check the reservation to find (drum roll...) that the BRU-ORD-LAS flights have been cancelled.

Reason: BMI failed to ticket in time

Cue call to the ICC who were as useful as a chocolate teapot...

The cancelled flight hasn't been released back into reward inventory.

"Sir, if you can't be flexible on date then there's nothing we can do to help you"

They were seemingly unable to comprehend why I had an issue that their f-up in not ticketing quickly becoming my problem was in some way bad.
Old Jul 17, 11, 5:09 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by jarino View Post
Check the receipt and the tax breakdown on:
https://eitr.amadeusasia.com/
Should this work for all bookings? I've just tried my BD reference (and the corresponding TG reference) but haven't been able to open the reservation.
Old Jul 17, 11, 5:44 am
soy

Programs: mostly hotel status, more mercenary with airlines
Originally Posted by absoluy View Post
Should this work for all bookings? I've just tried my BD reference (and the corresponding TG reference) but haven't been able to open the reservation.
This works for the BD reference, though not the TG reference. If the BD ref does not work, that usually indicates bad things have happened. You can also see tax breakdown on the LOT site using the BD ref#
Old Jul 17, 11, 5:52 am

Programs: Mucci, BA
ITR doesn't work till the booking has been ticketed.
Old Jul 17, 11, 11:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-PlatLife, BA-Gold, SPG-LTP, HL-DIA
Originally Posted by absoluy View Post
Only the BD reference should work. And when it does not work , it usually means that 1) Ticket has not been issued, 2) Some flights hv been cancelled, 3) Entire reservation has been cancelled.
Old Jul 18, 11, 11:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

OK, just to close off my side of this debate...

1) The YQ surcharge applied was lowered, presumably by taking the YQ for the BHX-BRU point to point and adding it to the same for the BRU-ORD

2) Having torn a strip off the ICC yesterday, I noticed that I was waitlisted for the TATL flight. Later this afternoon (after Chicago woke up I guess) the flight went to confirmed. An hour or so later the ICC supervisor I spoke to yesterday called me and apologised, explaining the seat was reinstated.

So in summary, the 80 I saved in YQ was then countered by a degree of hassle and wasted time on my side. Crazy that they can't sort out this seemingly recurring problem, although the first time I've had an issue.

Here's looking forward to my test drive of seat 1K on a UA 767.

Edit - No, just looked and they've charged me the original YQ, not the adjusted one as promised. This really must be the Ryanair of FFP's, but like Ryanair (which many of us wouldn't dare set foot on) we tolerate it because it's so damn cheap.

Last edited by Swiss Tony; Jul 18, 11 at 11:54 am Reason: ah, it was too good..

Search this Thread