Miles are pointless on BMI

Search this Thread

Old Jun 28, 2011, 12:57 pm
Original Poster

Programs: MUCCI, BA Blue, IHG Gold

BHD - LHR 1st Feb 13:10

Pay with cash? £33

or for the bargain price of £35.50 you can part with 2250 miles too.

Or for £15 you can part with 4500 miles.

What a choice. Think ill just pay with cash, get bonus with my status and spend the miles on an airline that actually gives you something for 'loyalty'
Old Jun 28, 2011, 1:02 pm

Programs: BA Silver, Hilton Diamond, BD Blue (RIP)
Almost all redemptions are like this though. It's an unwritten rule that you don't redeem for economy class and you certainly don't redeem for short-haul economy class unless it's close to the travel date and the fares are very high. Miles bookings are also generally more flexible than super-cheap economy class bookings.
For the record BA are exactly the same. I was going to post an example here but sadly their 'systems are not responding' so I can't give you one.
On the other hand Diamond Club miles do allow you to make some fantastic value redemptions. Try a cash+miles redemption to somewhere like Brazil and you will save thousands on the published fare.

EDIT: BA's systems have come back to life and a quick check shows that I can get myself on the 18:40 GLA-LHR flight for £40 cash only or £49.50+2,300 miles.
Old Jun 28, 2011, 1:03 pm

Programs: BA Gold, A3 Gold, BD..oh, wait..
Short haul, economy fares are rarely a good use of miles on any FF program to be honest. I don't think bmi is unique in this.
Old Jun 28, 2011, 1:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Be grateful you aren't in M&M. UK to Hamburg in Y is 35,000 miles plus £215 of taxes ... cash ticket is usually under £150.
Old Jun 28, 2011, 2:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, BA Silver, Accor Silver
Ah, but if you want to have the ability to cancel them at short notice, they do perhaps have a benefit...
Old Jun 28, 2011, 3:02 pm
G*G

Originally Posted by olybeast
Fish tastes like crap.

Justin Timberlake stinks.

Just another two very subjective and pointless statements. I took the time to open this thread - waste of time - so figured I'd add something along the same lines...
Old Jun 28, 2011, 3:30 pm

Programs: SJ, SAS, DL
Originally Posted by colmc
Short haul, economy fares are rarely a good use of miles on any FF program to be honest. I don't think bmi is unique in this.
Here are some screengrabs from a redemption I priced up on FlyBe last year:

Pay with Rewards4Nobody points...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jamesbr...ad/5199152204/

...or pay with cash...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jamesbr...ad/5198557565/

...the choice is yours

Incidentally, if like me you have a pile of FlyBe points you think are worthless, may I recommend you cash them in on a Loganair-operated flight. As a result, I think, of the Scottish subsidies or exceptional tax arrangements, you can get a real bargain redeeming FlyBe points on those routes (in my case, GLA-LSI for £35 return instead of £180).
Old Jun 28, 2011, 3:31 pm

Programs: BD*G, A3*G, BA-S, Accor Gold, IHG Amb
Originally Posted by G*G
Fish tastes like crap.

Justin Timberlake stinks.

Just another two very subjective and pointless statements. I took the time to open this thread - waste of time - so figured I'd add something along the same lines...
Did you mean to say...carp tastes like fish?
Old Jun 28, 2011, 5:10 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by jbfield
Did you mean to say...carp tastes like fish?
Carp definitely does taste more like crap than fish.

The Germans like it though.
Old Jun 29, 2011, 12:51 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
< click >

I think we're done on this one, before we torture the language anymore. There are plenty of other "you're a mug for redeeming miles on cheapo economy-class off-peak short-hauls" threads to continue on, if you're interested.

Last edited by Oxon Flyer; Jun 29, 2011 at 12:56 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.