Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > bmi | Diamond Club
Reload this Page >

What is it that brings you back to bmi?

Old Jun 26, 2011, 2:51 pm
Original Poster

There are so many posts on here which highlights the negative aspects of bmi, I thought for a change we can create a thread which lists the reasons why you choose to return to bmi after your bad experiences.
Old Jun 26, 2011, 3:22 pm

Programs: BD*G, A3*G, BA-S, Accor Gold, IHG Amb
Diamond Club

plus the feeling of being at home with bmi.

I find the service more real and down-to-earth than some competitors too.
Old Jun 26, 2011, 3:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA, AF
Originally Posted by jbfield
down-to-earth
Shouldn't it be up in the sky?
Old Jun 26, 2011, 3:41 pm

Programs: A3 gld, BA bron, KL silv, 6C plat, EH silv, EM, GT, HY, NH, NS, RT, SH, SW gold, BW, WY
Diamond Club
Ditto.

plus the feeling of being at home with bmi.

I find the service more real and down-to-earth than some competitors too.
You get bad service at home too?
Old Jun 26, 2011, 11:19 pm

It was the GLA based crews who were quite simply fantastic.

Since the route was dropped, I have only been on one BD sector since! Last Thursday on a MAN-LHR.

It's a shame but BD do not fly where I need to go nowadays.
Old Jun 27, 2011, 12:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA, AF
For me it's Diamond Club and the associated BD*G perks.

Not really service though - it has been quite hit and miss on the BEY route, from terrible (and I mean really terrible) to good at best.

Last edited by BA6501; Jun 27, 2011 at 12:52 am
Old Jun 27, 2011, 12:50 am

Programs: BA,LH,CX,EK SPG,IC mainly and a few others
Mainly the service. And some sympathy for the underdog.
Had a delightful flight last week on BD 891- way better than one can expect from BA.
Old Jun 27, 2011, 2:12 am

Programs: SJ, SAS, DL
Originally Posted by LonLH
And some sympathy for the underdog.
+1.
Old Jun 27, 2011, 2:34 am

Diamond Club and the Star Gold perks/network. Thats all nothing else.
Old Jun 27, 2011, 4:12 am

Programs: DL Diamond, AA Plat Exec, Hilton Gold, IHG Spire Ambassador & Marriott Plat
For me it was DC and the relative ease of getting to *G. Combine this with the fact that MME is my local airport I used to use BD through LHR and connect to other *A carriers or even with BD when they flew to somewhere I wanted to go. For TATL I drove to MAN and enjoyed the service in C immensely.

Now I drive to NCL or still MAN (MME and LBA are both useless IMHO)

In the end they withdrew all the decent routes and now I have SEN with LH through LH's status match I dont see how I will use BD. 90% of my *A flights this year have been LH or SN so I hope M&M means something there.

Sadly BD cancelled all the routes I spent money on with them. I am sure i am not the only one. A great airline. As someone once said there are no such things as bad companies just bad management!

I know the OP wanted reasons to return and I would do if they sorted out the mess they have made of what was once a great airline. I really have tried to use them because of the past wonderful experiences but I just cant find schedules, connections or an airport nearby to fly from with BD!
Old Jun 27, 2011, 6:06 am

Programs: A3 *G, BA Silver
Lifetime *G

That keeps me in good standing on LH and Swiss.

+ the fantastic redemptions!
Old Jun 27, 2011, 6:06 am

Programs: BA Silver, SK*G, BD*S, FB Gold, Eurostar Carte Blanche
Diamond Club - the reason for my (largely irrational) spend on BD and Star flights when there are often cheaper alternatives.

LHR-DUB - pricing has been all over the place recently, but when sensible fares are available, BD is an infinitely better value proposition than EI or FR when traveling with checked bags.

The London Room - it may be basic but I'm grateful for it when the alternative is the waiting area in the Irish ghetto for LHR-DUB hops, which actually smelled like wee the last time I had to sit there. The DUB lounge, on the other hand, is awful, just awful.

Treatment during IROPS - BD was great for getting me home (and back again) during the mad snow of last Christmas and the Christmas before that. Dealing with the ICC was a nightmare but staff at LHR and DUB were great.
Old Jun 27, 2011, 6:19 am

Programs: MUCCI
In addition to the above, you really have to add the entertainment factor they provide - you just never know what they are going to do/try next! [And could believe anything!]
Old Jun 27, 2011, 6:28 am

Programs: SJ, SAS, DL
If there are any DC lurkers reading this thread, I think the decent thing to do would be to credit contributors with at least 1,000 status miles. Surely more valuable qualitative customer data than the usual "tell us what you think" emails...
Old Jun 27, 2011, 7:44 am

Programs: BA Gold (ex BD*S)
I originally joined DC because I moved from Brussels to London to get a BSc at Uni. In 2008, they still used to operate that route and the service was great!

I even got 1 complimentary meal (got BD Blue+) before the axed the route.

Now I just stay around BMI because of DC's ease of getting somewhat of a status, an amazing crew (did a few flights on BMI metal in April with the Promo), and yes ... the entertainment!

I think there's no other airline around that does this many crazy things as BMI. I guess being the underdog allows you to do the strangest things.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.