OT: Where do you buy your tickets?

Old Jun 25, 11, 9:51 am
Original Poster

Where do you buy your tickets?

When you are buying long haul premium class travel to SE Asia and Aussie/NZ who (on-line and 'real') do you recommend?

Looking for some reasonably priced business class flights to either SIN or BKK for Oct/Nov

Clearly Star Alliance is desirable.

Any tips?
Old Jun 25, 11, 10:00 am

Direct from the airline website is the easiest for me. Travel Agents just cause hassle.
Old Jun 25, 11, 12:11 pm

Location: AA Lifetime PLT , BA Silver , BD RIP , HH Gold, SPG / Marriott PLT , EF Subscriber
First Tip:

Tell us where you want to purchase the ticket / It may surprise and shock you but Which City and Country is an enormous help.

If as a BMI member you mean UK. Then its easy : http://www.netflights.com. Now owned by Thomas Cook they have 500+ staff in their call centre [Its actually Bigger than BA in Newcastle] including 4 people who do nothing all day but ensure that nobody undercuts them. The founder was a Genius but thats why he sold out for almost $200 Million. Look at The Times Rich List.

Last edited by UncleDude; Jun 25, 11 at 12:17 pm
Old Jun 25, 11, 4:40 pm
Original Poster

Flights required, London to either Sin or BKK. Dates Oct or Nov 2011.

Surprised at the airline website, hugely expensive IMHO.
Old Jun 26, 11, 3:00 am
Moderator, Turkish Airlines Miles&Smiles & Le Club Accorhotels
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: TK*G, Le Club Accorhotels Platinum
For long-haul business class where I pay the tickets I use Trailfinders.

Economy: airline website
Old Jun 26, 11, 3:37 am

Programs: BA Gold, HHonors, Virgin
westeast travel in London often have good fares
Old Jun 26, 11, 2:21 pm
Suspended

Programs: BMI, VS, Marriott, SPG, HH*S, GoldPoints+
In my experience East to West Travel Ltd will be at least 25% of anyone else, for front cabins. You cannot beat a proactive travel agent if you really want to protect your pocket.

The likes of Trailfinders and WestEast will never beat East to West if your key requirement is competitive pricing and ease of service.
Old Jun 26, 11, 8:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC/IB
I usually just use a search engine like ITA then see if I can replicate the fares using Kayak.
There are advantages to be had booking through the airlines own web site. So even if they are a few quid more expensive it is worth paying the extra to book direct with them in my opinion.
Always worth checking prices to Oz from airports outside the UK.....some big savings can be had by starting your trip from another country.
Old Jun 27, 11, 1:35 am

Programs: BA,LH,CX,EK SPG,IC mainly and a few others
For our personal trips, I do a search using KVS tool to get the right fare/airline combination and get them booked by a TA (who is also a FTer and hence knows the peculiar habits of mileage junkies). This works in most cases if they fare has no ticketing restrictions.
There are some fares (like SOTO), in which case I will use a TA in that specific country or the airline office in that country (e.g: TG fares ex-UK when they have special offers).
Old Jun 27, 11, 3:42 pm

Programs: A3 gld, BA bron, KL silv, 6C plat, EH silv, EM, GT, HY, NH, NS, RT, SH, SW gold, BW, WY
Bit of an open ended question don't you think? Depends on the airline and ticket options.

After using ITA to research a decent route and ticket price:

1) Simple point to point (and return) is usually best via the airline website but a multi search tool with that interrogates ticket sellers fares like bookingbuddy.com is always worth checking for a special price.

2) For a slightly complex itinerary e.g. simple open jaw or return to different airport or single stopover you might try the airline sites (except flybmi which is hopeless) but also standard Internet ticket sites like Expedia, ebookers, Netflights, Travelocity etc. Usually trying a simple search first to narrow down the options then doing a Modify Search to tweak the results works best. Don't forget to look out for cashback options - it might get you back your credit card premium or more.

3) Complex itineraries need one of the sites that does multi-stops, such as Continental, United, Lastminute.com, Opodo, Orbitz. Can't vouch for how good these are with your suggested geographic area but they cover all of Star Alliance reasonably well in general.
Old Jun 28, 11, 3:13 am
Original Poster

Not sure how I could make it less open ended, I detailed the departure point the destination oh and an indication of when I want to go!
Old Jun 28, 11, 6:56 am

Location: AA Lifetime PLT , BA Silver , BD RIP , HH Gold, SPG / Marriott PLT , EF Subscriber
Originally Posted by lizban View Post
Not sure how I could make it less open ended, I detailed the departure point the destination oh and an indication of when I want to go!
And the Winner is : Direct 1,505 RT including pre-payable taxes on EvaAir LHR-BKK with www.netflights.com Took me all of 2 minutes on their website.

Lowest *A will be in the Region of 1730.00 to BKK

IMHO Very Best is Cash and Points via DC on Swiss

Last edited by UncleDude; Jun 28, 11 at 7:30 am
Old Jun 29, 11, 12:42 pm

Programs: Mucci, BA
Before you book with a TA make sure you check every possible option!

Just for 'fun' I went into a TA today to enquire about a few prices. Checked online when I got home and the tickets are 230 cheaper for one booking and 370 cheaper for the other!
Old Jun 30, 11, 7:26 am

Programs: BA GGL (CCR), Starwood LT Plat (Amb), EK Plat
Originally Posted by BA6501 View Post
Just for 'fun' I went into a TA today to enquire about a few prices.
Gosh - people still go to TA's?

Not been to a TA for well over 5 years - don't think I will ever enter one again
Old Jun 30, 11, 10:44 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nimeta View Post
Gosh - people still go to TA's?

Not been to a TA for well over 5 years - don't think I will ever enter one again
Can be heaps cheaper, you just need to find a good one (which isn't easy!)

Search this Thread