Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > bmi | Diamond Club
Reload this Page >

Anyone *SUCCESSFULLY* redeemed miles on UA SFO-SYD/MEL!?

Old Jun 7, 11, 9:39 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL SkyMiles

Has anyone here *SUCCESSFULL* redeemed miles on the UA 744 services to Australia from the States, specifically the daily 744 SFO-SYD service!? What about the extension to Melbourne.

People say redeeming miles on UA's daily SFO/LAX-SYD (Sydney) services are hard to come by. This includes the MEL (Melbourne) tag on from Sydney.
Old Jun 7, 11, 9:42 pm
Original Poster

Well Zone 3 (USA) to Australia/New Zealand (Zone 9):
(40000 + 270)
Old Jun 7, 11, 9:43 pm
Original Poster

HAS anyone upgraded to C/F on UA's lie-flat beds on the NEARLY 15 hour flight gate-to-gate!?

See here:
http://flightaware.com/live/flight/U...537Z/KSFO/YSSY
Old Jun 8, 11, 12:34 am

Originally Posted by willzzz88 View Post
Has anyone here *SUCCESSFULL* redeemed miles on the UA 744 services to Australia from the States, specifically the daily 744 SFO-SYD service!? What about the extension to Melbourne.

People say redeeming miles on UA's daily SFO/LAX-SYD (Sydney) services are hard to come by. This includes the MEL (Melbourne) tag on from Sydney.
I second what other people say. Almost no availability on UA C/F on the Australian route. The easiest way to find it - is usually via united.com and look for the award seats (my oppinion). At least there you can sea a whole week at once. But that means you have to be flexible with the dates. Air NZ is easier (via NZ) - with short term bookings. They seem to open up a couple of days before the flight.
Old Jun 8, 11, 12:45 am
Original Poster

Yep.

Ever since Qantas switched it's SYD-SFO route to SYD-DFW (AA oneWorld hubbing /w BA) UA has maintained a virtual monpoly from the Bay Area to Sydney/Melbourne.

GOOD THING IS: High rumours Qantas's low-fare subsidiary JetStar once their A332's are delivered from France they will start flying (with the new HGW A332) or their 787's arrive SYD-SFO again.

Qantas said while the HIGH-TECH business traffic between Sydney and San Francisco DID break even the profits on the route with a 744, apparently Joyce wants even more profits by flying the world's longest 744 route SYD-DFW-BNE-SYD (15.25 hours) straight from Sydney (Australia) into AA's hub (DFW, USA).

Good times.

In fact when the 744's were delivered from Boeing in the early 90's and there was just ONE COMPETITOR on the route 80% of Qantas profits were made charging INSANE fares on Sydney-Los Angeles.

This was before the DL, UA, and DJ/VA competition jumped in.

In fact Sydney-Los Angeles and Sydney-San Francisco was SO PROFITABLE that SQ wanted in on the lucrative market but the Aussie authorities said NO.

There is now open skies between the USA & Australia and most other developed markets so any airline can start at will (unless it is a 3rd country, like SQ).

I guess the decent *A possible announcement of VA (Virgin Australia, Branson's colonial brain-child apparently) with a SQ alignment
FINALLY HAS SQ codeshare on SYD/MEL/BNE-LAX and possible startup onto SYD-SFO.

So possible 3 competitors on the SYD-SFO route from 1.

(1. QF JetStar LCC, 2. SQ/Virgin Australia).

Good for Bay Area travelers.
Old Jun 8, 11, 2:03 am

Programs: VA Plat, QF LTS, UA MM, Hilton Diamond, Rydges Black, ,Le-Club Gold
Fly this route regularly but on NZ C rather than UA.

Flat beds, nicer service.

Have always found award availability on the desired day, though usually had to book a different day and later move it for 20.

The stop in NZ is very welcome - you can shower at the palatial Koru club and arrive refreshed at 10am rather than tangling with the SYD rush at 6am.
Old Jun 8, 11, 4:05 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, UA*G, former BD*LG :-(
We just did LAX-MEL on UA839 in business for 2 on a DC redemption. Booked pretty much 330 days out, so they do exist but you need to get in very early. I think some F opened up a couple of weeks before the flight date.

Was pleasantly surprised at the level of comfort on UA in the new seats, Mrs netd and I had a great sleep on that very boring flight. The service was unexceptional but better than expected, difficult to live up to business premier on LHR-LAX the week before on NZ01 in the spanking new 77W.

Agree wth harryhv, there was quite a bit of availability on NZ right through the months leading up to our trip, and I would recommend them in preference to UA.
Old Jun 8, 11, 4:07 am

Programs: bmi British Midland International Diamond Club
Originally Posted by netd View Post
We just did LAX-MEL on UA839 in business for 2 on a DC redemption.
Did you pay any YQ on UA? Just wondering that's all.
Old Jun 8, 11, 4:32 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, UA*G, former BD*LG :-(
Originally Posted by Strawb View Post
Did you pay any YQ on UA? Just wondering that's all.
You know I can't remember but I did post in the 2010 successful redemptions thread... let me dig it up, here you go.

So looks like we did.

Last edited by netd; Jun 8, 11 at 4:46 am

Search this Thread