Wiki Posts
Search

Advice on redemption booking

Search this Thread

Old May 26, 2011, 8:43 am
Original Poster

Programs: BMI Blue +, Hilton Gold, SOFITEL PRIV
Advice on redemption booking

have booked a redeption booking in business class with the ICC, on checking the info they have booked me on a connection that doesnt meet the minimum connecting time.....any advice to what i should do?
Old May 26, 2011, 12:16 pm

Programs: Thai ROP Gold, BMI DC (RIP), Avios
I think you need to give some more info for Flyertalker's to assist.

How far short of the MCT are you ? Which airport & airlines ?

I think by the rules you have an invalid itinary that the ICC should revise to your satisfaction free of charge, but think sometimes a short MCT can be beneficial if the implications of a missed connection are not too severe.

Regards, Graham
Old May 26, 2011, 3:34 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BMI Blue +, Hilton Gold, SOFITEL PRIV
business class with thai airlines
flight arrives bangkok from dubai at 0640 and departs from bangkok to chiang mai at 0745

official MCT International to Domestic TG_TG is 75 mins
Old May 26, 2011, 10:23 pm

There is probably another schedule that advertises the flight as arriving at 06:30. Being a morning flight means you are likely to arrive early. Don't know about delays from DXB as that is a 24 hour airport.
Old May 27, 2011, 12:51 am

Programs: BA, BMI, NZ, SQ
Try booking the flight on the Thai Airways website. If it gives you that option then you know it is valid. If not then phone the ICC and ask them to change due to MCT. I did this yesterday without issue.
Old May 27, 2011, 1:00 am

Programs: Thai ROP Gold, BMI DC (RIP), Avios
Hello flysas,

In my opinion, that is certainly a tight connection, but possible as long as your inbound flight is not too delayed. Two THAI business flights on same PNR certainly help.

Thai current have 7 daily flights (most days) BKK-CNX, and sometimes more in peak seasons.

Looking at the current timetable, the next flight after your 7:45am departure is at 10:30am.

Therefore, I think you have 2 options.

1) Ask ICC to change your domestic flight as it doesn't meet MCT.
2) Keep current booking and hurry through the airport, hoping for no delays.

I think most Thai's would take the 'mai-pen-rai' (no problem) attitude and go with 2). I think THAI will treat you well as an arriving C class passenger, and assist with you trying to make the short connection (including clearing immigration in the transit area I believe). If you miss the connection, reschedule to the next AVAILABLE onward flight should not be too difficult.

I hope my opinion helps, but this is really a very personal choice based on your circumstances and the degree of flexibility you have.

Regards,
Graham

Last edited by gwhiteuk; May 27, 2011 at 1:04 am Reason: correct Chiang Mai airport code
Old May 27, 2011, 1:10 am

Programs: BA,LH,CX,EK SPG,IC mainly and a few others
Originally Posted by gwhiteuk
Hello flysas,

In my opinion, that is certainly a tight connection, but possible as long as your inbound flight is not too delayed. Two THAI business flights on same PNR certainly help.

Thai current have 7 daily flights (most days) BKK-CNX, and sometimes more in peak seasons.

Looking at the current timetable, the next flight after your 7:45am departure is at 10:30am.

Therefore, I think you have 2 options.

1) Ask ICC to change your domestic flight as it doesn't meet MCT.
2) Keep current booking and hurry through the airport, hoping for no delays.

I think most Thai's would take the 'mai-pen-rai' (no problem) attitude and go with 2). I think THAI will treat you well as an arriving C class passenger, and assist with you trying to make the short connection (including clearing immigration in the transit area I believe). If you miss the connection, reschedule to the next AVAILABLE onward flight should not be too difficult.

I hope my opinion helps, but this is really a very personal choice based on your circumstances and the degree of flexibility you have.

Regards,
Graham
Should be OK with TG as the long haul flights usually arrive early.
Anyway in the case of a misconnect it becomes TG's problem as OP is on one PNR.
Old May 27, 2011, 2:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
Originally Posted by flysas
official MCT International to Domestic TG_TG is 75 mins
Are you sure? Admittedly, I have not checked, but I recall that TG to TG at least in the past was 55 min...

Anyway, it should not be a problem. If you miss your flight at BKK, TG will just rebook you to the next CNX flight - there are plenty and you will not have to wait for long. I would not worry about this; let alone use valuable time to get rebooked as you will for certain make this connection (unless your DXB flight is severely delayed)
Old May 27, 2011, 3:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, BA Silver, Accor Silver
Unless things have changed, this is a Intl->Intl connection and you clear CIQ at Chiang Mai.

Yes they do mix domestic & international passengers on the same plane!
Old May 27, 2011, 4:44 am

Programs: BMI Diamond Club RIP,BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by Swiss Tony
Unless things have changed, this is a Intl->Intl connection and you clear CIQ at Chiang Mai.

Yes they do mix domestic & international passengers on the same plane!
Yes, this has always been the case up to CNX and to HKT, as I recall they attach a sticker to your lapel!

Incidentally I have a 90 min connection, within MCT of 75 mins at BKK flying TG J CMB-BKK-KBV, I've flown into KBV on Tiger from SIN in the past and I know Air Asia now fly internationally from KUL. I was/am assuming that we can clear immigration and customs at KBV.. anyone know if this correct? Otherwise it could be a little tight.
Old May 27, 2011, 4:45 am

Programs: BD, BAEC Pleb, VS Pleb, Accor Pleb, HHonors Gold, Big White Season Pass
In case of a late arrival, TG usually have agents at the end of the airbridge to assist transfer passengers.

We had a case once where our inbound from ZRH was delayed by 2 hours, some of which was made up in flight but they held the 08:00 flight to HKT as there were loads of transit pax and everything else that day was booked solid.
Old May 27, 2011, 5:08 am

Programs: SQ, LH, BA, IHG Diamond AMB, HH Gold, SLH Indulged, Accor Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
My question would be if this redemption is already ticketed or not? I had the same situation on an international to domestic connection in Japan where you clear immigration at your first port of entry. either way, MCT was violated by 20mins but ICC made the redemption booking. Only when they tried to ticket it did it fail and went into some odd status in CMT giving me the clue to call and inquire. In the end it had to be changed as otherwise the ticket could not be issued. Just wondering.
Old May 27, 2011, 6:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Just to add, this shows as a valid connection on the TG site.

Yorkieflyer - I found this site that suggests you're OK with doing CIQ at Krabi http://www.the-bangkok-guide.com/ban...-transfer.html but it seems inaccurate as in the past we've done EK->PG and stayed airside, which they suggest you can't do.

In the past I recall finding a more official site, but I can't track it down.
Old May 27, 2011, 6:34 am

Programs: BMI Diamond Club RIP,BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by Swiss Tony
Just to add, this shows as a valid connection on the TG site.

Yorkieflyer - I found this site that suggests you're OK with doing CIQ at Krabi http://www.the-bangkok-guide.com/ban...-transfer.html but it seems inaccurate as in the past we've done EK->PG and stayed airside, which they suggest you can't do.

In the past I recall finding a more official site, but I can't track it down.
Thanks, useful but not definitive, as you say I thought I'd seen something more official previously as opposed to

"Bangkok Airport Transfer
Infomration!!!"
Old May 27, 2011, 7:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/archive/t-634594.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.