Extra guests LHR lounge

Old May 19, 2011, 5:47 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold
Extra guests LHR lounge

Has anyone ever been successful in getting extra guests into the GB lounge? 4 of us heading over to Berlin in coming months but only one Star Gold amongst us....it will be my birthday that particular day - what are the odds if I play that trick and ask very nicely ?

Last edited by shandy01; May 19, 2011 at 5:53 am
Old May 19, 2011, 5:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Hi,

DM the Twitter dude, he might give you some vouchers.

Regards,
Old May 19, 2011, 11:19 am

Programs: BA Silver, ICH Plat, Club Carlson G, SAS S
Originally Posted by shandy01
Has anyone ever been successful in getting extra guests into the GB lounge? 4 of us heading over to Berlin in coming months but only one Star Gold amongst us....it will be my birthday that particular day - what are the odds if I play that trick and ask very nicely ?
We used a much easier system.

BDG goes in, with a guest, and front desk mark the boarding card with their squiggle.

BDG leaves lounge, hands marked boarding card to the next guest. who shows the squiggle to the front desk and goes in.

Repeat ad nauseum, there are usually 3 or 4 people on so choose a different person each time to show the boarding card too

They dont care there, they want you to enjoy their lounge, if you are meaning the main star alliance one in T1. Its so busy they never remember faces.
Old May 19, 2011, 12:59 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold
Fab! I like it... will try the squiggles... many thanks!
Old May 20, 2011, 12:58 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
Originally Posted by drspear
They dont care there, they want you to enjoy their lounge, if you are meaning the main star alliance one in T1. Its so busy they never remember faces.
The OP was actually referring to the bmi "Great British Lounge".

And I would suspect many correspondents here would testify that the dragons guarding the Star Alliance lounge are considerably less naive than your post may suggest.
Old May 20, 2011, 8:45 am

Programs: LH SEN/*G
And it's that kind of buggering about that ensures the system gets tightened up for all of us, souring the relationship between the lounge staff and the travellers. What happened to acting honourably and respecting the rules?

It also reduces the chances that staff are willing to be helpful when you do ask nicely, and without expectation.
Old May 20, 2011, 12:18 pm
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
I'd absolutely concur with BristolTraveller, but would go further in saying that deliberately duping the lounge staff to get something to which you are not entitled (and know you are not entitled) is fraud.

I've actually found the *A lounge to be very helpful recently - this week, I began talking to a guy on the tube between Hatton Cross and Heathrow, and it transpired we were both marathon runners. I invited him to join me as my guest so we could continue the conversation, but knew that he'd take considerably longer to go through the UA economy line than I'd take at LH's *G check-in. The lounge staff were extremely helpful in letting me leave his name and just let him in fifteen minutes afterwards without having to drag me back to the desk.

If too many people indulge in something worse than dubious practice, that sort of help is likely to disappear very rapidly, particularly as most lounge dragons are actually very sharp and would pick up on it. I certainly always make a point of letting them know, wherever I am in the world, if I want to wander back out into an airport's public areas but intend to return so they know I'm not trying to somehow pull a fast one.

As for "they want you to enjoy their lounge". Please ...

Last edited by NWIFlyer; May 20, 2011 at 12:43 pm
Old May 20, 2011, 12:36 pm

Programs: DiamondClub (rip), Currently an Alliance Treble Champion (BA, A3, AZ)
I didn't think that *G could get into the GBL unless flying C/J on BD? Just the *A Lounge?

Am I wrong?
Old May 20, 2011, 12:42 pm
Community Director

GBL is a *G lounge. It's also open to LH FLT and BD*S when travelling on those airlines' metal.
Old May 20, 2011, 12:57 pm

Originally Posted by NWIFlyer
I'd absolutely concur with BristolTraveller, but would go further in saying that deliberately duping the lounge staff to get something to which you are not entitled (and know you are not entitled) is fraud.

I've actually found the *A lounge to be very helpful recently - this week, I began talking to a guy on the tube between Hatton Cross and Heathrow, and it transpired we were both marathon runners. I invited him to join me as my guest so we could continue the conversation, but knew that he'd take considerably longer to go through the UA economy line than I'd take at LH's *G check-in. The lounge staff were extremely helpful in letting me leave his name and just let him in fifteen minutes afterwards without having to drag me back to the desk.

If too many people indulge in something worse than dubious practice, that sort of help is likely to disappear very rapidly, particularly as most lounge dragons are actually very sharp and would pick up on it. I certainly always make a point of letting them know, wherever I am in the world, if I want to wander back out into an airport's public areas but intend to return so they know I'm not trying to somehow pull a fast one.

As for "they want you to enjoy their lounge". Please ...
Cant speak for everyone of course, but it has worked on at least 5 occassions this year already.

I am definitely meaning the star alliance one I should stress, its the busiest and easiest one to do, especially when it had outside toilets
Old May 20, 2011, 1:20 pm

Programs: not a lot
Cant speak for everyone of course, but it has worked on at least 5 occassions this year already.

I am definitely meaning the star alliance one I should stress, its the busiest and easiest one to do, especially when it had outside toilets
You've guested in 5 marathon runners this year

Or maybe
Old May 20, 2011, 9:02 pm
Community Director

Well, by drawing attention to this deceitful behaviour, you're a step closer to someone stopping it in the future. Bragging about commiting a crime is how most people get caught. Probably good for those of us who respect the rules and would ask if we wanted something outside them, bad for you.

5 occasions? You're a serial lounge abuser!
Old May 21, 2011, 1:54 am

Originally Posted by NWIFlyer
Well, by drawing attention to this deceitful behaviour, you're a step closer to someone stopping it in the future. Bragging about commiting a crime is how most people get caught. Probably good for those of us who respect the rules and would ask if we wanted something outside them, bad for you.

5 occasions? You're a serial lounge abuser!
no I think you misunderstand what I am saying.

If you are thinking the people mentioned are using drink and food, then 3 of them are tea total, and they are same as you they are just after a comfortable seat, they are not far from anorexic, I dont think its a crime.

If it is prevented then I dont see Special Branch getting involved, we would just have to use the multi lounge entry technique using split up groups, nothing illegal in that or against any rule, and same drink and food involved.

We are pretty creative usually with these things
Old May 21, 2011, 4:28 am

Programs: BAEC Silver; Hilton Diamond;a miscellany of other hotel non-statuses
no I think you misunderstand what I am saying.
...or against any rule, and same drink and food involved.

We are pretty creative usually with these things
you must realise it is against a rule to be being creative. If not why not just all rock up together and ask to go in?

The sanction would probably be closure of your account and hence loss of status and benefits.

If you don't get caught probably none of us will suffer
if you do you will probably take the most direct consequences, and the rest of us be inconvenienced
Old May 21, 2011, 4:40 am

Originally Posted by EsherFlyer
you must realise it is against a rule to be being creative. If not why not just all rock up together and ask to go in?

The sanction would probably be closure of your account and hence loss of status and benefits.

If you don't get caught probably none of us will suffer
if you do you will probably take the most direct consequences, and the rest of us be inconvenienced
Do you seriously think people dont do this

It is not against any rule to be creative. You are allowed a guest in each lounge, there are 3 or arguably 4 in T1 to choose from.

I am not advocating anything hugely sinister, we pay tens of thousands a year on flights after all.

I appreciate some do-gooders will preach the gospel, but these are normally the type who speak a good game but get up to all sorts and keep it quiet. thinking they are really clever.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.