Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > bmi | Diamond Club
Reload this Page >

I need to add a sector on... possible or not?

Old May 13, 11, 10:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC/IB

I did a search but the findings were not clear to me.

I recently booked a Zone 3 - 4 redemption ending in GRU. I was unable to complete the final sector to EZE due to TAM's crazy policy of not releasing seats till three months out. Is it possible to add on the missing GRU-EZE link when the seats become available? My search findings seem to indicate that this is not now possible without cancelling the whole trip and re-booking.
Old May 13, 11, 10:28 am

Location: Northern Ireland (in spirit), but much more likely GB or Europe.
Programs: EI GC, BA EC, AAdvantage, AB Top Bonus
Who are you flying to GRU with? I think the general experience is that if you have an intl arrival on TAM (under the 6 month rule), South American add-ons are available at the same time. Although stand alone intra-S. American flights are only opened at 3 months.
Old May 13, 11, 10:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BHDBOY View Post
Who are you flying to GRU with? I think the general experience is that if you have an intl arrival on TAM (under the 6 month rule), South American add-ons are available at the same time. Although stand alone intra-S. American flights are only opened at 3 months.
Flying UA so no good.
Old May 13, 11, 10:53 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum
My experience was that I could add a MNL-ROR segment on a previously ticketed LHR-ICN-MNL itinerary which had no stopover. I was charged the change fee + taxes change. However, the first agent I talked to insisted on a complete refund & reticketing. I declined because I knew the original seats would no longer be available. A call the next day to another agent was successful.
Old May 13, 11, 11:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by UKdiver View Post
However, the first agent I talked to insisted on a complete refund & reticketing. I declined because I knew the original seats would no longer be available. A call the next day to another agent was successful.
Ah, that sounds promising.
Old May 13, 11, 1:16 pm

Programs: BA Gold, TK*G, EI Elite
Agent lottery at play as usual. In short, yes you can, end of......
Old May 13, 11, 1:58 pm

Programs: A3 gld, BA bron, KL silv, 6C plat, EH silv, EM, GT, HY, NH, NS, RT, SH, SW gold, BW, WY
Originally Posted by FlyingOnceMore View Post
...... providing that there are no maximum mileage rules, which there appear to be now with some redemptions. Probably won't apply in this case but adding the comment just in case others search in the forum read this response in connection with other bookings on other routes in other zones with some airlines yada yada yada.
Old May 13, 11, 7:36 pm

Programs: VA Plat, QF LTS, UA MM, Hilton Diamond, Rydges Black, ,Le-Club Gold
Having been refused in earlier years, this year was very happy to get an add-on sector to a Transpac, US dom, for just the change fee and no extra tax.
Old May 14, 11, 3:13 am

Programs: Mucci, BA
I managed to add MEL-AKL sector to a (then) LHR-FRA-SIN-MEL.
Old May 14, 11, 9:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Thanks for the feedback.

So it looks a goer as long as I get a cooperative agent. I have a few weeks to psych myself up for the call.
Old Aug 6, 11, 7:04 pm

Do these stand alone south america legs have to be direct connections from your intercontinental flights?

The ANA tool naturally gives availability on JJ at the T-6 month mark provided you're searching (for example) a straight through same day connection from IST-GRU-EZE.

If you're planning to break the journey in GRU for >24 hours (and therefore searching for the GRU-EZE leg separately) , it won't show till T-3 months.

That bit about NH tool availability I understand, but in practise are the stopovers bookable at T-6?
Old Aug 7, 11, 8:14 am

Location: In theory near BHD or ABZ, but usually a hotel in another country
Programs: Seniors Bus Pass, BA Silver
Originally Posted by HIDDY View Post
Thanks for the feedback.

So it looks a goer as long as I get a cooperative agent. I have a few weeks to psych myself up for the call.
Dont just psych yourself up for "the call", you are playing agent lottery here - you might have to make a few calls - albeit one after the other!
Old Aug 7, 11, 8:26 am

Originally Posted by TGflyergirl View Post
That bit about NH tool availability I understand, but in practise are the stopovers bookable at T-6?
Yes, they are. I managed to book SCL-GRU-GIG / stop GIG-FRA-TXL last year exactly 6 months in advance.
It took some three calls or so though.
Old Aug 7, 11, 8:53 pm

Originally Posted by jobi View Post
Originally Posted by TGflyergirl View Post
Yes, they are. I managed to book SCL-GRU-GIG / stop GIG-FRA-TXL last year exactly 6 months in advance.
It took some three calls or so though.
Thanks. Good to know. Now to get past the ICC
Old Aug 7, 11, 9:13 pm

Programs: rapidly diminishing
Originally Posted by FlyingOnceMore View Post
Absolutely this.

Did this recently to add on a YVR-YYZ segment on an existing YYZ-LHR redemption (AC J). One agent first tried to say it wasn't possible, I just held my ground politely but firmly, saying it was still a Z3-Z1 redemption with all sectors intact and the additional segment was a valid change to an existing booking. After being asked to hold, they obviously had their supervisor confirm and it was plain sailing from there

I've done this in the past, too, and had totally useless agents give me the same spiel referred to above. Politely ended the call, rang back, got someone else, and made the change without hassle.

HIDDY - last year, we added on domestic JJ segments to an existing booking (which was already mixture of AC/CO/JJ, with a couple of creative layovers en route in the US, as I recall ) and had no trouble whatsoever. I'm sure you'll be fine - just get "in the zone" before calling the ICC and have a window with CMT open as they usually update your itin in real-time (call me paranoid, but I've printed to PDF with time stamps on occasion when I've not had a great feeling about an agent!)

Search this Thread