YQ tax not refundable

Old Jun 17, 11, 9:51 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
Originally Posted by Carolinian View Post
But does it really cost BMI that much more for fuel to fly their planes .....

bmi don't fly their planes between LHR and BRU.
Old Jun 18, 11, 4:25 am

Originally Posted by Oxon Flyer View Post

bmi don't fly their planes between LHR and BRU.
Must have been a codeshare, but nonetheless the BMI website was wanting more in ''taxes and fees'' than BA wanted all-in.
Old Jun 18, 11, 10:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-PlatLife, BA-Gold, SPG-LTP, HL-DIA
YQ is refundable as an award ticket is considered to be a full fare revenue ticket and not a nonrefundable one.
Old Jun 20, 11, 12:47 pm

Programs: BD*G
Originally Posted by Guy Betsy View Post
YQ is refundable as an award ticket is considered to be a full fare revenue ticket and not a nonrefundable one.
Cancelled an economy restricted booking yesterday. Was informed by the ICC that there was a 60 cancellation fee and 25 administration charge. Now, the fare paid to BMI was about 30. According to a very neat 'LOT find your reservation' tool, there's no YQ (ticket booked in one of their sales), so rest of the booking (about 150ish) are government taxes and airport fees.

The ICC insisted that they would still charge me 60 even it means 'topping up' their 60 fee from what's left of the booking in government taxes. Not a big deal in the great scheme of things but I am getting so annoyed and frustrated by the whole 'rip off' attitude: Gold or not Gold - do they really care? No.

if there's a clear policy wording from a regulator/HMRC on airlines' obligation to return taxes, please post in response or send a private message please?
Old Jun 20, 11, 1:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-PlatLife, BA-Gold, SPG-LTP, HL-DIA
Originally Posted by Eva_Co View Post
Cancelled an economy restricted booking yesterday. Was informed by the ICC that there was a 60 cancellation fee and 25 administration charge. Now, the fare paid to BMI was about 30. According to a very neat 'LOT find your reservation' tool, there's no YQ (ticket booked in one of their sales), so rest of the booking (about 150ish) are government taxes and airport fees.

The ICC insisted that they would still charge me 60 even it means 'topping up' their 60 fee from what's left of the booking in government taxes. Not a big deal in the great scheme of things but I am getting so annoyed and frustrated by the whole 'rip off' attitude: Gold or not Gold - do they really care? No.

if there's a clear policy wording from a regulator/HMRC on airlines' obligation to return taxes, please post in response or send a private message please?
I said a 'full fare ticket' ... the example you gave above is not a full fare ticket. Its an economy class restricted ticket and it holds certain flight cancellation penalties.

Is it an award? From what I understand, award tickets only have the 25 quid penalty. I don't know what this 60 is unless its a cancellation penalty from the rules of your ticket. As you didn't specify what routing you are on, I took the liberty to check out one of BD's fares from say between LHR and CAI...

On the cancellation penalty rules it states:
16.PENALTIES
CANCELLATIONS

ANY TIME
CHARGE GBP 60.00/EUR 60.00.
NOTE - TEXT BELOW NOT VALIDATED FOR AUTOPRICING.
FULL REFUND PERMITTED BEFORE DEPARTURE IN CASE OF
REJECTION OF VISA- EMBASSY STATEMENT REQUIRED. ‡
FOR NON REFUNDABLE TICKETS THE YQ/YR SURCHARGE
WILL NOT BE REFUNDED
So basically - if you hold a 'restricted' economy class ticket, your YQ will not be refunded. And yes if the fare is less than 30 Pounds and the rest of the taxes add it to more than say 100 pounds, then by cancelling, BMI will have to charge you the minimum 60 Pounds penalty even if it means taking from the other taxes which you are due back anyway. Sometimes it really is not worth cancelling such a ticket!

But if you hold a full fare refundable ticket, ie fully flexible ticket... then the rules state that :

16.PENALTIES
NO PENALTIES APPLY.
Which means you get everything back.... except maybe an 'administration fee' of 25 pounds that BMI will apply.

Last edited by Guy Betsy; Jun 20, 11 at 1:37 pm

Search this Thread