Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > bmi | Diamond Club
Reload this Page >

Lounge Access for 1 adult + 2 kids for BMI Gold.

Old May 5, 11, 8:59 pm
BCH
Original Poster

I will be flying out of Heathrow on Lufthansa soon with 2 kids. I have BMI Gold card (Star Alliance gold) so I would like to spend my waiting time in the Great British Lounge. We'll be flying economy, so would they let both kids in with me? If not, could I pay for the second kid's access?

They're 11 and 12.

Thanks.
Old May 6, 11, 12:05 am
NoY

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, IHG Spire, EY Gold, QR Gold, CX, SQ
Originally Posted by BCH View Post
I will be flying out of Heathrow on Lufthansa soon with 2 kids. I have BMI Gold card (Star Alliance gold) so I would like to spend my waiting time in the Great British Lounge. We'll be flying economy, so would they let both kids in with me? If not, could I pay for the second kid's access?

They're 11 and 12.

Thanks.
Lounge access rules state that only 1 guest is allowed - kids or not. The bmi lounge is not a paid access lounge.

Last edited by NoY; May 6, 11 at 4:05 am
Old May 6, 11, 2:24 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
The staff at the Great British Lounge have always been gracious enough to allow me to guest in an adult and a child, so you've a good chance of getting in with 2 children.
Old May 6, 11, 2:48 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
So far I have seen that besides LH (which have the family exemption clearly in their rules) SK also allows *G family to enter the lounge. What both don't allow is a second adult even if he/she is family (in my case it was once an aunt, the second time my MIL).
Old May 6, 11, 4:14 am

Programs: BA-G, LH SEN
The BD lounge in DUB refused me entry with Mrs aidanc and Miss aidanc (under 10) back in 2009. The immediately following LH Senator guested in my wife (much to the annoyance of the person at the desk).

In ZRH last week, when the three of us travelled together on a 'C' award, there was some tut-tuting at the main LX *G lounge, but we were all allowed into the lounge.

Like Oliver2002, I've never had problems with the three of us, and the LH lounges in FRA (B), STR, and SK lounges in LHR (T3), ARN and CPH.

OP - If the BD lounge is difficult, you can always try the main *A lounge. In my experience LH gates tend to be a random mix, so you might end up with a long walk anyway.
Old May 6, 11, 4:28 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
Originally Posted by aidanc View Post
OP - If the BD lounge is difficult, you can always try the main *A lounge. In my experience LH gates tend to be a random mix, so you might end up with a long walk anyway.
And of course, as a last resort, the OP could resort to the time-honoured workaround by guesting one into the GBL and the other into the *A lounge.
Old May 6, 11, 6:22 am

Programs: BAEC Gold; Hilton Diamond;a miscellany of other hotel non-statuses

They're 11 and 12.

Thanks.
On a Saturday morning redemption a few years ago (maybe 2008) me, wife plus 5 and 6 year old had no problem getting into the little BD lounge across the way from the *A lounge.

It was very quiet in there, which may have helped. I didn't expect for us all to get in, and am grateful that they let us.
Old May 6, 11, 7:03 am

Programs: BA Blue, EI Silver, Honours Gold, Marriott Gold
The DUB lounge isn't really a BD lounge, it is operated by Servisair, basically a contract lounge in BD camouflage. I have always found them to be quite sticky about having the BP and the DC Card. While I was waiting for my *G card to arrive the ticket desk had to ring the lounge each time to ensure I got access to the unimaginable luxury and prestige of the BD DUB lounge.
It very much depends who is at the podiums at LHR. Some will flat refuse, others will do it only this once, others will wave you though with a friendly smile. Luck of the draw, Im afraid.

FYI: AC lounges are even more generous. They allow *G family members(adults or children) to be guested in, I think they have to be on the same booking - can't remember the exact rule off hand, but I had no problem guesting my Mother and Father at LAX last summer. Shame the SK/AC lounge is in T3.
Old May 6, 11, 7:16 am
Suspended

Kids In Lounges

They're 11 and 12.

Thanks.
The reason that so many lounges are not kid-friendsly is dunderhead parents. I'm talking about all airline lounges--Asia, the U.S. and Europe. Most parents keep the kids in check, but so many just let them run around and jump the food lines, thinking they are cute. They are not. We do not want to talk or play with your children in the lounges. We are experienced and tired flyers who want to do e-mail and be left alone.

Bring the kids, but before you do make the visit a teaching moment about how to behave. You are not raising children, you are raising adulats.
Old May 6, 11, 3:35 pm
formerly rxfleming

Programs: BA Gold, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Plat Elite
Originally Posted by DaddyRabbit View Post
The reason that so many lounges are not kid-friendsly is dunderhead parents. I'm talking about all airline lounges--Asia, the U.S. and Europe. Most parents keep the kids in check, but so many just let them run around and jump the food lines, thinking they are cute. They are not. We do not want to talk or play with your children in the lounges. We are experienced and tired flyers who want to do e-mail and be left alone.

Bring the kids, but before you do make the visit a teaching moment about how to behave. You are not raising children, you are raising adulats.
"Most parents keep the kids in check, but so many just let them run around and jump..."

Oxymoron much?

As far as I'm concerned, I've never had a problem with kids in a lounge, or on a plane. I'm a frequent flyer, and when I'm tired, I always remember - I was a kid once, and the excitement of flying when you are young is great.

I hope to God my family never bump into someone so intolerant.

Last edited by GoldCircle; May 7, 11 at 3:14 am Reason: Removal of ToS violation
Old May 6, 11, 4:06 pm

Programs: TK*G, AY OWE, IHG Plat Amb, HH Gold, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by rxfleming View Post
Oxymoron much?

As far as I'm concerned, I've never had a problem with kids in a lounge, or on a plane. I'm a frequent flyer, and when I'm tired, I always remember - I was a kid once, and the excitement of flying when you are young is great.

I hope to God my family never bump into you.
I have had way too many night-time long-distance flights with some screaming kids around, they indeed to appear when you least expect.

Once a couple with baby even tried to lobby me out of my emergecy row seat so I could "freely" go to next to toilet middle-seat, where the wife with kid was supposed to be (husband sitting next to me originally).

Worst was once on KLM JFK-AMS flight when a 4-year old with a big American "mama" was sitting behind me and the kid was shaking my seat all the time. My little polite note to the mother was reacted in loud screaming that the whole B747 became quiet and FAs ran away out of sight... well, that was indeed "lovely" experience.

... but yes, there are also parents who actually take care of their kids and in majority. Just some drops of tar can easily spill a pot of honey.

For parents just sometimes they remember that they are travelling together once onboard and looking at their seat assignments on BP-s... it would be strongly recommended to do online check-in for them to get seats in one row beforehand.

... and lounges, sometimes I have seen also loud and drunk "adults" who should be kicked out. Free booze is great, but I see it kind of nonsense to drink it 8am, as some do.

Last edited by GoldCircle; May 7, 11 at 3:13 am Reason: Editing of quoted section
Old Jun 7, 11, 4:04 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by oliver2002 View Post
So far I have seen that besides LH (which have the family exemption clearly in their rules) SK also allows *G family to enter the lounge. What both don't allow is a second adult even if he/she is family (in my case it was once an aunt, the second time my MIL).
SK reps told me that the immediate family allowances apply if an SK*G, but it doesn't apply to other airline *Gs. Then again this came from reps who weren't quite clear that under Star Alliance's own documents infants under 2 years of age are not to be counted as guests in determing how many people are entitled to lounge access when in company with any given airline *G passenger.
Old Jun 7, 11, 7:47 am

Programs: BA Silver, ICH Plat, Club Carlson G, SAS S
Originally Posted by Oxon Flyer View Post
And of course, as a last resort, the OP could resort to the time-honoured workaround by guesting one into the GBL and the other into the *A lounge.
There may be troubles aheaaaaaaaaaaaaad..........
Old Jun 7, 11, 7:54 am

Programs: AA EXP; UA1k; B6 Mosiac; Bonvoy Titanium; Hilton Diamond; IHG Spire
I have able to get in with 2 kids at the LHR BMI lounge.

Another time, I "sponsored" someone's kid in a similar situation at an ANA lounge in NRT (where they would not let two kids in)...
Old Jun 8, 11, 5:46 am

Programs: BA GGL
I'm only silver and the staff at the LHR international lounge in Terminal 1 have been kind enough to let me guest both my wife and my two-year-old daughter into the lounge the few times that I've tried. I ask nicely and make clear that I understand that I'm asking them a favour rather than demanding a right, and I've not had any tut tutting or just-this-once-ing, but I may just have been lucky.

Also I do make sure that my daughter behaves and doesn't disturb the other guests, and if she starts making noise or bothering people then I take her out until she calms down.

I tend to find that most parents are pretty good about doing their best to keep kids under control, both in lounges and on flights. In fact, on all the occasions I can think of when the behaviour of someone in a lounge or on a flight has annoyed me, the said person has been a self-important adult complaining loudly that something isn't to his satisfaction.

Search this Thread