No CC-Fees on German BMI-Website

Old May 4, 11, 9:14 am
Original Poster

No CC-Fees on German BMI-Website

Hello everyone,

bmi recently launched a german-language version of their website.

Currently all bookings made there come without a credit-card-fee, so booking there might be handy for those of you who know German (or know how to use google translate).

The background is probably that German courts recently ruled that at least one (widely available) form of payment has to come without a booking fee. The judges explicitly stated that offering Visa Electron / Visa Debit bookings without a fee is not sufficient, as they are hardly available in Germany.

Most german airlines (as well as e.g. easyjet) offer direct debit payment from a german bank account without a fee, LH also allows paypal.

Cheers,
jobi
Old May 4, 11, 9:27 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Interesting... big bro LH.de charges 5€ for using a CC
Old May 4, 11, 10:25 am

I do this all the time on BA.com - a great little tip to save £4.50 each time I book a flight

Just change the billing country to Germany on the payment page.
Old May 4, 11, 11:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, BA, Mucci: Sir Roger des Directions Routières, PCR
Using a UK credit card such as the BD MC or AmEx will presumably trigger a currency surcharge when converted to sterling?

Useful with a no-surcharge card though, even if it means foregoing miles for the payment.
Old May 4, 11, 12:42 pm

Programs: EI-GCE, BD-G, BA-G, A3*G, TK*G, FB-G, HH-G, Hyatt-Dia
...or if you live in another eurozone country. The irish website charges a percentage, rather than a fixed fee - and on DUB-LHR, it about to a tiny, tiny amount.
Old May 4, 11, 2:12 pm

Originally Posted by Roger View Post
Using a UK credit card such as the BD MC or AmEx will presumably trigger a currency surcharge when converted to sterling?
Nope. I (always) use my BD Amex on the BA site, whilst selecting Germany as my billing country and get charged in pounds, not a penny more or penny less than the total value of the flight (in GBP) as shown on screen.
Old May 5, 11, 9:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, BA, Mucci: Sir Roger des Directions Routières, PCR
rossmcd, I suspect you were paying for a GBP-priced ticket.

BD's German website shows ex-UK prices in £ (including the return legs), which is fine so no currency surcharge. Ex-Germany flights are priced in €, and these are the flights which I think produce a currency surcharge when charged to most UK card accounts.
Old May 12, 11, 6:39 pm

Bought an LHR-TXL ticket the other day on the German site, quoted in GBP.

No notification of the £4.50 credit card charge when booking, but when I looked at my credit card statement this morning it was there as a separate line item. Not terribly distressed by this, but I did think it seemed a bit sneaky.
Old May 13, 11, 3:00 am

Programs: BA,LH,CX,EK SPG,IC mainly and a few others
No credit card booking fee for ex-Russia tickets- not even for online award bookings (which get priced in RUB though).
Old May 13, 11, 9:40 am

Originally Posted by TGflyergirl View Post

No notification of the £4.50 credit card charge when booking, but when I looked at my credit card statement this morning it was there as a separate line item. Not terribly distressed by this, but I did think it seemed a bit sneaky.
I'd complain!
Old May 13, 11, 5:29 pm

Originally Posted by TGflyergirl View Post

If there was no mention of it on the booking page, then I believe you have every right to dispute it directly with your CC company.
Old May 13, 11, 6:09 pm

Originally Posted by hugolover View Post
I'd complain!
Originally Posted by eriond View Post
If there was no mention of it on the booking page, then I believe you have every right to dispute it directly with your CC company.
Just looked at my ticket receipt and it's showing the amount without the charge too. Now, my German's poor - so I don't know if there was a clause in there during the booking process that alluded to an extra charge and there might well have been one I missed.

Will run a dummy booking again through a google translator or something and see.
Old May 13, 11, 6:43 pm

BD need to get their act together. The system must know your card is GB issued and charges the fee accordingly, but it's just not on. It's hardly strange to be booking LHR-TXL on that website, but besides that it's unacceptable to charge the fee when it says 'Gebührenfrei'.

Moreover and not necessarily relating to your booking considering bmi MC & Amex are not issued in Germany by BD its ridiculous to be charged a fee for those specific, GB issued cards when they are clearly 'Gebührenfrei'.
Old May 13, 11, 6:46 pm

Originally Posted by hugolover View Post
The system must know your card is GB issued and charges the fee accordingly, but it's just not on.
It isn't. My card is Malaysia Issued Could that be it?
Old May 13, 11, 6:50 pm

Programs: BA Gold, A3 Gold, BD..oh, wait..
Pfft, the call centre billed me in GBP for an ex-DUB flight the other day. Nice of them to do that, landing me with currency conversion charges and a fee from my card issuer. Good to see bmi's billing practices seems to be as haphazard as most other things

Search this Thread